[Exclusive Rumor] Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Might be Coming to Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
GS4-Active_008.jpg

The rugged and water-resistant Samsung Galaxy S4 Active has thus far has been an AT&T exclusive. However, we have heard industry rumors that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active might just break its exclusivity and come to Verizon. Insider sources familiar with the matter have indicated it is a distinct possibility we will see the SGS4 Active come to Big Red in the coming months. Nothing is confirmed yet, but we will keep an eye out to let you know if it turns out to be true. For reference here's a spec recap on the phone,
  • 5" 1080x1920 pixels Full HD LCD display
  • 9mm thin
  • Quad-core 1.9 GHz processor
  • 2 GB of RAM
  • 8 MP camera on the back
  • LTE/HSPA+ radio
  • Infrared beamer
  • 16 GB of internal storage
  • A microSD slot
  • 2600 mAh battery
  • Android 4.2.2 including the latest TouchWiz Nature UX
  • IP67 certification - dust- and water-proof in up to three feet of water up to 30 minutes
  • "Glove Touch" mode - lets you operate the display with mittens on
  • "Aqua Mode" in the camera app interface - for taking better underwater pictures and video
  • Also, you can Long-press the volume key up, and a powerful LED light becomes a flashlight
  • The same volume rocker can be pushed down to use as a camera shutter key directly from locked mode
What do you guys think? Do any of our Verizon members have an active enough life-style that would make this phone extra useful?

Last edited:

Tankwylde

Reaction score
I like the fact that it is waterproof, and my wife will be up for an upgrade in November, but they lost her at 8mp camera. You'd think that they would have kept the same one from the regular S4 for underwater pictures.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I like the fact that it is waterproof, and my wife will be up for an upgrade in November, but they lost her at 8mp camera. You'd think that they would have kept the same one from the regular S4 for underwater pictures.
More MP doesnt make it a better camera. The 8mp camera might actually be better in low light vs the 13mp, you never know!

Last edited:

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
More MP doesnt make it a better camera. The 8mp camera might actually be better in low light vs the 13mp, you never know!
The camera is NOT better than the 13 megapixel one in the S4, this is the same camera that is in the S3, Samsung just went cheapo on the camera and the screen to make up for the cost of making the phone IPS certified.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
megapixels don't mean anything these days, they only make files larger size.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
This device could actually make me switch from Motorola products. Only downside is that I don't plan on starting a contract with Verizon so I'd have to buy this phone at a higher price.

squeak

Reaction score
I'm not a camera buff. If it takes a picture that I can look at later and tell what I'm looking at I'm a happy camper. Speaking of camper, this would be a great phone for me since I occasionally find myself putting my phone in a ziploc bag to keep it from getting wet when I go camping or riding when there's a chance of rain. Truthfully I'd rather have either the Xperia Z or Z Ultra, but I'd be satisfied with this. While I'm excited to see Samsung offer a waterproof phone with decent specs I wish more manufacturers would follow sony's lead and make their top of the line phones waterproof rather than making a special version.

Tankwylde

Reaction score
megapixels don't mean anything these days, they only make files larger size.

Megapixels mean everything in terms of clarity and sharpness. It may not on a phone screen but when printing it means a world of difference. And I can't imagine that you would have to many "low light" situations in a pool going only 3 feet down. Everyone that looks at the pics on my phone are amazed at how great the pictures look and how they don't blur too much when zooming in and cropping.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Ask any photographer. They'd take a 5MP image with a top their image sensor over a noisy 25MP image with a mediocre sensor. A grainy 25MP image is garbage. The MP count of the image has no direct effect on image QUALITY. Sensor quality is everything. The less noise in your image, the crisper it will be.

What matters in printing is the DPI of the image at the given size of the print. The industry standard for print images is 300DPI which is the limit of human vision. Unless you're printing poster sized images megapixels are overrated.

Last edited:

Tankwylde

Reaction score
Ask any photographer. They'd take a 5MP image with a top their image sensor over a noisy 25MP image with a mediocre sensor. A grainy 25MP image is garbage. The MP count of the image has no direct effect on image QUALITY. Sensor quality is everything. The less noise in your image, the crisper it will be.

What matters in printing is the DPI of the image at the given size of the print. The industry standard for print images is 300DPI which is the limit of human vision. Unless you're printing poster sized images megapixels are overrated.

I agree to a point. With the same sensor as the S4, the 13 would still produce sharper images than the 8.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

I am a photographer, and yes, pixels size does matter. A 13 megapixel sensor is going to give you a better more detailed image than a 8 megapixel sensor in a phone, in regards to a DSLR, it works the same way, but there are also allot of variables, like image processing done by the chip, most sport photographers will chose a max 12-15 megapixel sensor, it requires less buffering which means more and faster action shots, now a landscape of portrait photographer would like a bigger sensor with more megapixels since his/her work requires more detail in the shot.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
The image sensor in a phone can't compete with a DSLR sensor because it's inferior, works on a totally different principle, and can't capture as much light.

However, if you line up 10 different 12-15MP DSLRs and 10 different 10MP DSLRs I GUARANTEE that some 10MP DSLRs will outperform some 12MP+ DSLRs due to a better quality image sensor. That alone proves that MPs don't automatically trump sensor quality. Some image sensors are MUCH more noisy than others, personally I'd take a more crisp lower MP image over a larger grainy one any day.

Also, I'm a big fan of mirrorless cameras over DSLRs.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
The image sensor in a phone can't compete with a DSLR sensor because it's inferior, works on a totally different principle, and can't capture as much light.

However, if you line up 10 different 12-15MP DSLRs and 10 different 10MP DSLRs I GUARANTEE that some 10MP DSLRs will outperform some 12MP+ DSLRs due to a better quality image sensor. That alone proves that MPs don't automatically trump sensor quality. Some image sensors are MUCH more noisy than others, personally I'd take a more crisp lower MP image over a larger grainy one any day.

Also, I'm a big fan of mirrorless cameras over DSLRs.

Well take a look at the 24mp vs 16mp sensors. Sure the 24 has more MP, but the 16mp sensors are the best out! The 24mp sensors beat the 16mp in detail at low ISO, but the 16MP sensors beat them at high iso.

Anyways. This phone looks great! Its just a S4 with weather proofing! I hope to see alot more phones like this! Hope the note 3 is like this! LOL