[Exclusive Rumor] Samsung Galaxy S4 Active Might be Coming to Verizon

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jun 28, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

The rugged and water-resistant Samsung Galaxy S4 Active has thus far has been an AT&T exclusive. However, we have heard industry rumors that the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active might just break its exclusivity and come to Verizon. Insider sources familiar with the matter have indicated it is a distinct possibility we will see the SGS4 Active come to Big Red in the coming months. Nothing is confirmed yet, but we will keep an eye out to let you know if it turns out to be true. For reference here's a spec recap on the phone,
    • 5" 1080x1920 pixels Full HD LCD display
    • 9mm thin
    • Quad-core 1.9 GHz processor
    • 2 GB of RAM
    • 8 MP camera on the back
    • LTE/HSPA+ radio
    • Infrared beamer
    • 16 GB of internal storage
    • A microSD slot
    • 2600 mAh battery
    • Android 4.2.2 including the latest TouchWiz Nature UX
    • IP67 certification - dust- and water-proof in up to three feet of water up to 30 minutes
    • "Glove Touch" mode - lets you operate the display with mittens on
    • "Aqua Mode" in the camera app interface - for taking better underwater pictures and video
    • Also, you can Long-press the volume key up, and a powerful LED light becomes a flashlight
    • The same volume rocker can be pushed down to use as a camera shutter key directly from locked mode
    What do you guys think? Do any of our Verizon members have an active enough life-style that would make this phone extra useful?
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  2. Tankwylde

Tankwylde New Member

I like the fact that it is waterproof, and my wife will be up for an upgrade in November, but they lost her at 8mp camera. You'd think that they would have kept the same one from the regular S4 for underwater pictures.
  3. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

More MP doesnt make it a better camera. The 8mp camera might actually be better in low light vs the 13mp, you never know!
  4. Incredibilly

Incredibilly Member

That handset was made for me. Hurry up, VZW, my Bolt canna' take much more...
  5. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

The camera is NOT better than the 13 megapixel one in the S4, this is the same camera that is in the S3, Samsung just went cheapo on the camera and the screen to make up for the cost of making the phone IPS certified.
  6. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

megapixels don't mean anything these days, they only make files larger size.
  7. xsylus

xsylus Active Member

This device could actually make me switch from Motorola products. Only downside is that I don't plan on starting a contract with Verizon so I'd have to buy this phone at a higher price.
  8. squeak

squeak Member

I'm not a camera buff. If it takes a picture that I can look at later and tell what I'm looking at I'm a happy camper. Speaking of camper, this would be a great phone for me since I occasionally find myself putting my phone in a ziploc bag to keep it from getting wet when I go camping or riding when there's a chance of rain. Truthfully I'd rather have either the Xperia Z or Z Ultra, but I'd be satisfied with this. While I'm excited to see Samsung offer a waterproof phone with decent specs I wish more manufacturers would follow sony's lead and make their top of the line phones waterproof rather than making a special version.
  9. Tankwylde

Tankwylde New Member

Megapixels mean everything in terms of clarity and sharpness. It may not on a phone screen but when printing it means a world of difference. And I can't imagine that you would have to many "low light" situations in a pool going only 3 feet down. Everyone that looks at the pics on my phone are amazed at how great the pictures look and how they don't blur too much when zooming in and cropping.
  10. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Ask any photographer. They'd take a 5MP image with a top their image sensor over a noisy 25MP image with a mediocre sensor. A grainy 25MP image is garbage. The MP count of the image has no direct effect on image QUALITY. Sensor quality is everything. The less noise in your image, the crisper it will be.

What matters in printing is the DPI of the image at the given size of the print. The industry standard for print images is 300DPI which is the limit of human vision. Unless you're printing poster sized images megapixels are overrated.
  11. Tankwylde

Tankwylde New Member

I agree to a point. With the same sensor as the S4, the 13 would still produce sharper images than the 8.
  12. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

I am a photographer, and yes, pixels size does matter. A 13 megapixel sensor is going to give you a better more detailed image than a 8 megapixel sensor in a phone, in regards to a DSLR, it works the same way, but there are also allot of variables, like image processing done by the chip, most sport photographers will chose a max 12-15 megapixel sensor, it requires less buffering which means more and faster action shots, now a landscape of portrait photographer would like a bigger sensor with more megapixels since his/her work requires more detail in the shot.
  13. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

The image sensor in a phone can't compete with a DSLR sensor because it's inferior, works on a totally different principle, and can't capture as much light.

However, if you line up 10 different 12-15MP DSLRs and 10 different 10MP DSLRs I GUARANTEE that some 10MP DSLRs will outperform some 12MP+ DSLRs due to a better quality image sensor. That alone proves that MPs don't automatically trump sensor quality. Some image sensors are MUCH more noisy than others, personally I'd take a more crisp lower MP image over a larger grainy one any day.

Also, I'm a big fan of mirrorless cameras over DSLRs.
  14. combatmedic870

combatmedic870 Well-Known Member

Well take a look at the 24mp vs 16mp sensors. Sure the 24 has more MP, but the 16mp sensors are the best out! The 24mp sensors beat the 16mp in detail at low ISO, but the 16MP sensors beat them at high iso.

Anyways. This phone looks great! Its just a S4 with weather proofing! I hope to see alot more phones like this! Hope the note 3 is like this! LOL
  15. Tankwylde

Tankwylde New Member

Me too. The wife is dying for the note 3
  16. roboots21

roboots21 Member

This would be my next phone for sure if it comes to Verizon. I am due for a new one in August, and this just might be the ticket. It is going to either be this or the regular S4.

A side note, I have seen plenty of people complain about the screen that is on the Active, with it being LCD. I had a discussion with a friend and after reading some more as well this seems to be a good choice for an 'active' phone like this one. If I am not mistaken the LCD is brighter in the sunlight or just outdoors in general, which is just what this phone would more likely see, and active outdoors lifestyle. While I am a critical person, I will just go to the store and try it out and see if I like it. Problem will be solved and decision will be made at that point. As long as there is development on it like the S4, I will most likely go the 'active' route. This is a sick phone!
  17. PereDroid

PereDroid Well-Known Member

I just can't believe more people aren't pissed off that this was announced so late. Why this wasn't announced at the same time as the S4 just *pakow* blows my mind.
    If I pre-ordered an S4 and this came out just about a month after I signed my new 2 yr contract?!?! /so annoyed
  18. TatDroid

TatDroid Active Member

Tell that to the Razr owners (who were blindsided by the Razr Maxx)
  19. jackiescivic

jackiescivic Well-Known Member

I read a few reviews that said the phone isn't as water resistant as they claim. They had issues with the screen turning on after being in water, even after 'pressing on the AT&T logo' like the manual said.
    I personally have no interest in this phone, or any Samsung phone. I'll stick with my Motorola.
  20. jseah

jseah New Member

As a photographer, you should know better. Pixel size only matters to a small degree. What matters is the physical size of the digital image sensor. Much like film cameras, the larger you want the print to be, the larger you want the film frame to be. That's why with celluloid film, a view camera will beat a medium format camera which will beat a 35 mm camera when it comes to printing enlargements. Same as with digital. A medium format digital sensor will beat a full frame digital sensor, which will beat a 4/3 format or 1.6x crop factor digital sensor, which beats a point and shoot, which beats the minuscule sensor installed in a cell phone. You could have a 16 MP sensor in a cell phone (i.e. the Samsung Galaxy S4 photographer's edition) which measures less than 1/4" and that won't come close to the image quality of a full frame sensor that measures 1.3" x 0.9" with 10 or even 12 megapixels.

If you are comparing the same physical size sensors, then megapixels does factor in, however, there is a limit as to how many megapixels you can fit onto a sensor before your image quality begins to degrade. The smaller you manufacture a pixel and the closer you cram them together, the greater the chance you have of data "bleeding" from one pixel to another, thereby degrading the image. Where you see the degradation is when you enlarge the image and it gets grainier and grainier.
Search tags for this page
galaxy active verizon
galaxy s4 active for verizon

galaxy s4 active verizon release date

is verizon getting the galaxy s4 active

s4 active verizon

s4 active verizon release date

samsung galaxy s4 active verizon release date

samsung s4 active verizon

verizon s4 active
verizon s4 active release date
when will verizon get the galaxy s4 active