Exchange email not working after Update

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Coltair, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Coltair

Coltair New Member

Yesterday morning my Droid had an update available, I went ahead and went through with it. Then my exchange email stopped syncing on my Droid. It was working fine up until yesterday morning after the update but now I get an error saying: "Unable to open connection to server".

I've checked the settings and everything is setup the way it should be.

I was wondering if anybody else is having the same problem or have heard of this problem?

I'm on the first Droid model.
  2. Jamb

Jamb New Member

I sure hope this is not the case for me I just got exchange working after 3days and I need it to keep working also.:greendroid:
  3. WillRunForBeer

WillRunForBeer New Member

I'm having the same problem. It was chewing up the battery trying to sync, and so I deleted the account now I can't recreate it. I'm running FRG22D on a droid.
  4. WillRunForBeer

I called verizon and after very little debugging they asked me to 'factory reset' my unit, claiming that I'd still be able to find all my applications because they are linked to my google email account. But it turned out they're not, and by the way the factory reset didn't fix the problem.

It is actually a real problem with the latest update. Not sure how that got through their testing.

The CSR figured that out *after* my factory reset. I'm still angry about that as I'm still recoverying.

They had me download 'touchdown' as a temporary workaround. I hope this is fixed quickly as touchdown trial only lasts 30 days. And it puts an obnoxious signature on the bottom of emails unless you buy the full version.
  5. Jamb

Jamb New Member

I bought and installed touchdown and well worth the purchase as it started less than three minutes after set up!dancedroid
  6. Mcgill56

Mcgill56 New Member

Verizon has known about this but still pushed it

I have had problems since last Wednesday. Verizon gave me the same song and dance (after 3 days) about having to use a third party ap (Touchdown) just to get my email from my office exchange server and I am paying an extra $45 per month to be able to access the exchange server. This is insane for a company to push out junk OS (knowing it has a flaw since the middle of August) without adequately testing it. I have wasted alot of time trying to get it fixed and they don't know when they may fix the problem.
  7. Jamb

Jamb New Member

I too pay the extra Verizon fee for unlimited use, but I was so glad to have it working with the touchdown app it really was worth paying the extra $20.00 for me to have instant access to outlook. I saw somewhere on here that Motorola is offering to DX owners to pay in some type of reimbursement for people who need the Touchdown for exchange mail. I actually had the OWA version working without touchdown but could not download or save attachments and sync my outlook calendar . Do a search in forums if you feel that badly about the fee.:beer2:
  8. Utzz

Utzz New Member

Just here to say I'm in the same boat with my Exchange account now being defunct (has been working flawlessly for me since Day 1 release of the Droid) and my battery being totally drained in a matter of hours after this update. No, I haven't bothered with Touchdown, nor am I going to pony up $20.00 for something that worked just fine before an update. I have since factory reset my phone which took care of the battery drain issue (in battery info, the email client was clearly the culprit) but now I also can't re-setup my Exchance account and am instead greeted with a "Force Close" error message. The phone is stock, btw.

This is BS.

UPDATE: Problem solved - Download "Improved Email" from the market. It's free and is identical to the stock email client. It boggles my mind that Motorola released an update that broke core functionality and tried to push a $20.00 on me app to restrore said functionality when there was a free alternative.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  9. matto1901

matto1901 New Member

same problem....vz and motorola losing points

having the exact same issue and need access for work. Can't believe they would push an update without such core functionality. Anyone hear if they are planning on fixing this or simply pushing their $20 app?
  10. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Same issue. I just unrooted my 2.0 droid (yeah I was still on 2.0 until today lol) and did an stock install to 2.2 FRG22D. I can't access my Outlook at all now either. I'm trying to create an account but when it start to "retreive" my info it gives a force close error.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  11. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

I am also having problems with both og my exchange accounts. I've never set them up on my droid but I have all my information on how to set it up but when I try a few different things I will either get could not connect to server or it would say my username and password is incorrect. I know my username and password is correct. The email app doesn't work when I try to set it up as an exchange or POP3. also just a quick question but for when it it says domain\username I just have \username is there supposed to be something in the domain part?
  12. Dunc

Dunc New Member

Yeah, my company needs the domain name before the "\".
  13. Timberwolf

Timberwolf New Member

Okay thanks. Both of my emails are for college. Its weird because my email is firtname.lastname@rockets.utoledo.edu but the email and the server is contracted out and my login name is different and not firstname.lastname. I think that may be part of my issue?
  14. Jamb

Jamb New Member

wow, sorry I misunderstood what you first posted. Can you refuse the upgrade, I would rather do without then lose my Outlook mail.
    And as much as I would like to keep the Droid I would switch if it ment I couldn't sync with exchange. Did. anyone get the upgrade and try using touchdown.
  15. droiddadi

droiddadi New Member

Improved mail app from market works well. Moto screwed up with FRG22D
  16. dihtn

dihtn New Member

I tried Improved Mail and it didn't help me. Downloaded Touchdown and it is working very well. I wish I would have tried this ap earlier. A lot more features with Touchdown than the stock ap.
  17. Jamb

Jamb New Member

exchange syn w/droidX

Just curious are you using touchdown with the update 2.2 or 2.1? I love the touchdown app it's really worth the price and works as fast as my comp for recieving emails. i have 2.1 and hope it still works if the upgrade comes.dancedroid
  18. WillRunForBeer

I don't like two things about touchdown:

1. $20 cost else it says "this sent from my android using touchdown" or similar in signature (also will stop working after 30 days if I don't pay)

2. work contacts don't show up in phone contacts

I'll try "improved email" to see if contacts show up. I hope they fix the stock app, though.

Timberwolf - yes you need something in the domain part -- for me my email is first.last@domain.com, and where you see the slash I have to put domain\flast -- you'll have to check with your administrator to see what to put there, I think.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  19. mrdroid

mrdroid New Member

I've posted this a hundred times but no one reads it apparently.

This is not a bug. It's an update to the mail client and the way it handles security. If your exchange environment isn't setup perfectly with the proper trusted certs in place then it won't work. It has to do with enterprise configuration and Exchange requiring the device to allow it to remote wipe and such.

The problem wit touchdown is that it only supports profiles just like outlook. So you only have access to one email account at a time. The stock client allows as many accounts as you want.

The problem with Improved Mail is that it ignores all security. This is why it works. It's basically the stock client with security commented out.
  20. Dunc

Dunc New Member

So if my company has the configuration to remote wipe the device then it should work? My company does do this because I saw the IT email regarding this change a few months ago yet my outlook does not work. Is there a listing of what exactly the settings need to be on the company side? There must be something else preventing me besides the remote wipe.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
Search tags for this page
after android update keep trying open up attachment
droid email update push
droid ultra will not update exchange emails

droid update bugs with email

email not working on droid

emailing will not update on droid razr with exchange
exchange not working after android update 4.1.2
my frontier mail stopped working on my droid
s4 updating email password for incoming and outgoing..
unable to get emails on dorid server not responding

utoledo rockets email android

verizon exchange sync not working after 4.2 update