Epic Games Demos Android Unreal Engine

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
14myp07.jpg

It seems that id Software is not the only game studio planning on bringing high quality, console like gaming experiences to Android. Epic Games’ Vice President and co-founder Mark Rein tweeted "We've demoed Unreal Engine 3 on Android w/Tegra 2 before and at KCG today we showed it on a Samsung Galaxy S device." Not only that, but he also tweeted a link to a youtube video demoing the game “Dungeon Defenders” on both the iPhone and an Android-powered tablet.

While it has been known for some time that UE3 was officially coming to iPhone, it still has yet to be officially announced for Android. It’s safe to assume, however, that if it has been tweeted about and demoed by Epic Games themselves that it will be coming to Android in the near future.

[video=youtube;ASE5uScZolg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASE5uScZolg]YouTube - DunDef IPhoneAndTegra[/video]

By MetalHead
Source: AndroidCentral.com & Epic Games Demos Unreal Engine on Android - Sprint Android Forum

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I just don't see the big potential for these big and amazing games on the Android or iOS systems unless they somehow integrate a physical controller for them. For Android, I see it being easier. They can use bluetooth or even plug in via USB. Could easily have a passthrough USB plug so they can plug in the power adapter. For iOS devices, Apple is so locked down, I don't see a physical controller any time soon without a jailbreak.

Without a controller, games are mind numbingly difficult to control accurately. I would love to see some games using the engines for stuff like tower defense games, puzzle games and that kind of stuff, but for shooters, I don't.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You know what would be cool, is a controller that the device could actually dock in. The phone could slide in almost like it was a Gameboy; analog sticks, triggers, etc...

OP
danDroid

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, I can't believe something like this hasn't been offered already..

You know what would be cool, is a controller that the device could actually dock in. The phone could slide in almost like it was a Gameboy; analog sticks, triggers, etc...

GohanBurner

Reaction score
That's all I want, a totally "mobile" phone, computer, gaming machine, word processor...you get the picture. Ahh, January cannot come soon enough...

Skrilax_CZ

Reaction score
But Motorola Droid / Milestone (and the "2" versions) have some stick that will serve as a gamepad.