EOL = No Gingerbread?

pattikate

Reaction score
It's been said that the Droid X is reaching it's End of Life (EOL) on March 31. Does this mean if the update to Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) doesn't happen before the EOL date, it's not going to happen at all?

D

dankarlinski

That's a good assumption

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I wouldnt agree with the poster above me...

The Original Droid 1 reached its EOL and still received the update to Froyo..no reason to think that the DX and D2 and quite possibly the DInc wont receive GB...

foxky

Reaction score
follow @p3droid on twitter. he said gb wouldnt be out this weekend but soon, within 6 weeks.

tapped on my LibX 1.5

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I trust that guy, and I'm looking forward to gb! But yeah all EOL means is you can't buy it from Verizon and I assume Moto too.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

cece5702

Reaction score
From what a Rep at Verizon told me EOL means Motorola will no longer ship the X to Verizon stores. Verizon will sell the stock thats left in there stores. I really want the Droid X but can't update until April 28th. Hope they don't run out. I wonder if Verizon would let me upgrade earlier than my early upgrade date Lol!!!!
I trust that guy, and I'm looking forward to gb! But yeah all EOL means is you can't buy it from Verizon and I assume Moto too.

Sent from my Droid

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From what a Rep at Verizon told me EOL means Motorola will no longer ship the X to Verizon stores. Verizon will sell the stock thats left in there stores. I really want the Droid X but can't update until April 28th. Hope they don't run out. I wonder if Verizon would let me upgrade earlier than my early upgrade date Lol!!!!

Sent from my Droid

Yes you can. Call Verizon and ask about an early upgrade. I did and they did it for me, no problem. You don't have to wait until 4/28..

Back on topic even if it does come to end of life doesn't mean no Gingerbread.

kevinkar

Reaction score
End of Life does not necessarily mean end of support or updates. I believe phone manufacturers/carriers are *suggesting* a two-year life cycle (which prompted the "New Every Two" type of program) in order to keep stock churning and keep customers buying new stuff. It's like a car lease program for phones. Constant updates/upgrades means constant wallet fattening for the companies!

I still have the landline phone I bought in 1982 for my first college dorm room for $25. It still works fine. Built to last and not require a trade out ever two years!

joker402

Reaction score
EOL? Who cares im on Gingerbread any ways! Leaked but stable.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
EOL? Who cares im on Gingerbread any ways! Leaked but stable.
The leaks are usually the same as the OTA. Not sure why everyone is worried about getting GB. I want to know when my Ice cream cake or strawberry shortcake updates are.