Encoding Movies

Scott1974

Reaction score
What is the best method to encode movies that I own to watch on my Fascinate? Is there a bit rate, frame rate, resolution setting that I should be using to viewing quality at a decent file size?

AllForNaught

Reaction score
First: for highest quality possible, upgrade the stock msd to at least a 4, preferably a 6 mbps card. The improved read speed will allow for higher bit rate video.

I have a 1280x544Terminator Salvation .avi encoded as follows: video mp4 - bitrate 2000, @ original 23.98 fps, @ 800 (native Fascinate res) x 368. Audio: 48,000 hz, 128 bit rate, stereo. This encode worked perfectly, and it looks literally like a bluray on my phone.

However: not all encodes/containers (avi, mp4, mkv, xvid, etc) work as well. So there's a bit of alchemy involved. An A Team encode was problematic, as I simply could not downscale and maintain audio video sync.

What seems to work best for consistency is to stick with standard 720px480p dvd rips, just be sure to use the original vertical res of whatever movie you convert so there are no bars at top/bottom, and mess with bitrates til you get parity. Not all movies are created equal in regard to original bit rates, older movies are generally lower, newer ones higher.

Please feel free to ask more, and let me know what your findings are as well when doing conversions.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

zombie1991

Reaction score
AutoGK and Ripbot264 are two programs I use to encode videos. There are many places to go for help on these two programs but I use them both. If one can't make a video "right" I try the other one. One AutoGK is better for adding Sub-titles for example.

I encode everything to play on my PS3. I keep a DVD's 720 width and crop off the black bars on top and bottom. Your video player will just add black space instead of you encoding black bars INTO the video. I also encode to a size of 800MB. I only use 96 bit rate stereo cause that gives my 800MB video more video bit rate capability.

AllForNaught

Reaction score
AutoGK and Ripbot264 are two programs I use to encode videos. There are many places to go for help on these two programs but I use them both. If one can't make a video "right" I try the other one. One AutoGK is better for adding Sub-titles for example.

I encode everything to play on my PS3. I keep a DVD's 720 width and crop off the black bars on top and bottom. Your video player will just add black space instead of you encoding black bars INTO the video. I also encode to a size of 800MB. I only use 96 bit rate stereo cause that gives my 800MB video more video bit rate capability.

800 mb file size is a serious drop in quality for a 90 minute dvd that's unnecessary, unless quality is fine for you? Mine seem to wind up about 1.7 - 2 gig, with no "pixelating" during fast moving scenes, but to each his own. Again, this won't work on the standard micro SD, it doesn't read it fast enough to sync the audio properly.

Generally it's better to downscale an HD movie to the standard res of the Fascinate (800x480) but with variable verticle resolution, depending on the aspect.

AllForNaught

Reaction score

Oh, I use Aimersoft DVD suite, and Handbrake btw.

ATC1986

Reaction score
How do you putovies on the fs

chicana.angelgirl

Reaction score
I use ROCKPLAYER. I don't have to change the format of my movies or anything!

AllForNaught

Reaction score
I use ROCKPLAYER. I don't have to change the format of my movies or anything!

I've never heard of it, but I'll check it out.

But I know this: no two movies are created equal, and all are encoded at variable bit rates, various resolutions, and in various containers regarding dlc.

There is no one-stop-shop for dvd/hd quality video conversion, which is why file analyzers and programs like handbrake are created.

I just finished encoding The Town for my fascinate. The process involved: file analysis, some math to calculate proper video and audio bit rate compression (for syncing), inputting the numbers into Handbrake, and finally reencoding and transferring to sd card.

The final encode was: 1.7 gig, 2,384 video bit rate @ 23.98 fps, 800x368 resolution mp4, 264 audio bit rate @ 48000 mhz, with perfect sync.

I stress: this quality is not possible with the stock sd card. The fascinate simply can't read it fast enough, and a minimum 4 mbps card is required, preferably 6 (if you can find one - Amazon is still sold out)

Viola' - literally HD quality performamce with zero pixelating, clear stereo sound, and stunned friends lining up to buy droid phones (4 in fact, where's my comission?)