1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Which video conversion setting is wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Audio and Video' started by grimloktt, May 23, 2010.

1. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

I can hear but can't see my videos. I'm using Adobe. Here are my settings:

Codec: Mainconcept h.264
    TV Standard: ntsc
    frame width: 720
    frame height: 480
    frame rate: 25 fps
    field order: lower
    pixel aspect ratio: widescreen 16:9
    profile: high
    bitrate encoding: constant bit rate 1 mbps

Thougts?
  2. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

For 16:9, it should be 848x480, and the bitrate should be 1500kbps or less or the Droid probably won't be able to keep up and will drop frames or not play visuals at all. 1mbps is a crazy high rate for a 720x480 H.264 vid.
  3. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

I thought 1 mbps = 1000 kbps?
  4. OSX2000

OSX2000 New Member

Wow, you sir are correct...I'm not sure what I was thinking there. Try re-encoding it at 1mbps with an 848x480 size, see if that works.
  5. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

Will do. Thnx!
  6. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

You might need to lower the res depending on what type of video it is...
  7. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

What does that mean? What setting should I change?
  8. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

the codec is most likely your problem.

Start with an iPod/iPhone profile, then change the settings.

H264 is the correct video codec, however there are so many variations in its internal settings that affect playability on your device. The codec is the same as the one used in Bluray, HDDVD and iTunes purchased/rented movies, and even the same as the one used in Quicktime movie trailers, but due to the settings (level ID, Cabac, no Cabac etc) most of those still need to be converted to be able to play on your Droid.

If you start with an iPod/iPhone compatible profile (or "Mobile", you have to look through the profiles that are offered in your Adobe install) and then change the settings it should work just fine.

As mentioned, screensize can be 854x480 as a max, however some conversion tools only lock it to a factor of 16, which makes it 848x480
    Video quality 1500 Kbps as a max, audio AAC Stereo at 160Kbps

If you can;t figure it out, maybe download a converted trailer from my thread here and load that in Adobe to see if you can copy the settings

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html
  9. Mbk

So why wouldn't an mp4 @ 720x480 play on his Droid? Shouldn't that play?
    BTW... what's better for the Droid... 25 fps or 29.97?
  10. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

As I mentioned in my post, not all H264 MP4 is the same.

the rest of your settings are fine, no problems with that, but if your H264 settings are not set properly, the video would not show.

the framerate should be the same as the source video in my opinion.
  11. Mbk

Say if he were to rencode it to the same settings, but using SUPER © ...wouldn't that output a playable (on the Droid) mp4 using his current mp4 as the source input?
  12. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Sure, if you use the right settings in Super.

You can also use DVD Catalyst Free to convert your video files and DVD's to Droid format for free. DVD Catalyst free actually has a Droid profile that sets all the settings correctly for you, with SUPER © it's a bit more complicated to get the settings correctly.

But, in all honesty, there are 100's of threads in this section about converting video files for Droid format, which does not really apply to the initial question asked.

The thread-starter asked about using Adobe, and as I answered before, he would have to use an iPod/iPhone compatible profile in Adobe to export his video. Converting it from h264 to h264 again is not really a good choice to maintain quality. Its easier to do it right the first time.
  13. Mbk

Didn't know you offered a DVDCatalyst Free version... but even your pay-for version is extremely low priced for what you offer, well worth it from what I can see...And although I personally prefer SUPER ©, DVDCatalyst is probably the best option for many Droid owners that prefer an easier option to convert DVDs/video to a format/spec that will play on their Droids.... good program Bro...
    Cheers
  14. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

Alright...back to the question at hand. First off, I didn't realize the creater of DVDCatalyst was the one helping me out. Thank you! That certainly shows the kind-of customer service you provide. I may end up going to DVD Catalyst; however, if I already have a program on my computer, I'd like to just try to use it.

So, I tried what was initially suggested. I started with an IPOD Large setting. Then, I changed it to 720x480. The ipod had variable bit rate with target of 1 and maximum of 1.4. So, I used that, too. I also decreased the audio as suggested from 320 down to 160. The result was that I could actually see the video but after 3-4 seconds or so, Act 1 Video Player gave me a message saying the video could not be played (100,0 or something like that). The stock video player couldn't play it either.

Thoughts?
  15. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I personally have found FFMPEG the only codec that works 100% of the time. I know others dont feel the same way, but it works for me.
  16. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

ffmpeg is a conversion tool, which results in re-conversion of the video again.

Yep, it's me. Initially I signed up (back in november) on these forums to answer questions people had in regards of DVD Catalyst, and ever since I just try to help whenever I see a video-related post.

there is more to the H264 codec than just the bitrate. I don't have any Adobe software myself, and it's been a while since I last used it, so you have to do a bit of homework yourself on it.

Most likely the problem is the variable bitrate. Change that to fixed bitrate.
    With VBR, the video adjusts the bitrate according to changes in frames. When you start a video, the change from nothing to something visible is quite large, so the bitrate goes over the maximum supported by the Droid. After a short time, it goes back to a normal bitrate, which is why it showed after a few seconds. Then, when there is a large change again (fast scenes, or with movies like Spiderman/Punisher/Iron Man, the Marvel logo animation with the comics flying through it for example) it goes back up again.

You are getting there though.
  17. grimloktt

grimloktt New Member

Thank you. I'll try to do a little more research and attempt to use constant bit rate. If I can't figure it out, I know what software I can fall back on!

P.S. You mentioned reconversions. I'm guessing some software re-convert whereas your does something different. Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains this?

Thnx!
  18. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Touche, salesman. Still, it's the only thing that seems to work for me 100% of the time.
  19. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Salesman is pretty harsh don't you think. I'm not sure if you actually looked at some of the other 633 posts I have made on this forum, you will notice that I'm actually trying to help people rather than to advertise my own software. Hell, I dont even have my own links in my signature.

I am trying to keep this on-topic. The initial question was about Adobe, not about conversion tools, there are plenty of threads on that already.

It's all reconversion, just like the other conversion tools (including ffmpeg).

I do have something I am working on that works for MKV files that are already in H264 format to make them play on xbox/ps3 without reconverting them, but for the Droid, this doesn't work, because of the specific h264 options used to make the files compatible.

Adobe (as of CS2) I believe, has profiles for iPod/iPhone devices in the export, or export to Quicktime Pro, and set that to iPod/iPhone format, and it should work fine using the default settings. After that, it's basically trial and error to find the best options.

If you do go the reconversion route, regardless of what you use to re-convert the files, I'd suggest to export your video using a higher resolution than the resolution you need. Preferably double, but using a 1280x720 profile will work fine too. Doing this results in the best quality.
  20. LtKen

LtKen New Member

It was a Family Guy reference.... nevermind.
Search tags for this page
720 frame width x 480 frame height mp4
848 x 480 conversion
cabac xilisoft
droid x winff profile
droidx ffmpeg preset

ffmpeg droid x

xilisoft video converter cabac