Enable always-on mobile data

QuietStorm007

Reaction score
Not here to slam AOL... well maybe :).... there is a reason they have earned the reputation for "almost online" (AOL).

holy moses!!!!! LOL that was a lot of info!

I guess I don't mind switching over, it's just a hassle. Somewhat like if you lose your check card and you have it entered on 20 different sites for bill paying and other misc things and you have to make sure you update it everywhere.

ick

Google will import your mail, contacts, calenders etc from other accounts up to 30 days. The import just finished and it pulled over everything in my direct inbox and it pulled over my sub folders. HOWEVER .. I can only view my subfolders online. I guess I don't need to see them on my phone....lol

Last edited:

JayCizzo

Reaction score
Not here to slam AOL... well maybe :).... there is a reason they have earned the reputation for "almost online" (AOL).

holy moses!!!!! LOL that was a lot of info!

I guess I don't mind switching over, it's just a hassle. Somewhat like if you lose your check card and you have it entered on 20 different sites for bill paying and other misc things and you have to make sure you update it everywhere.

ick

Google will import your mail, contacts, calenders etc from other accounts up to 30 days. The import just finished and it pulled over everything in my direct inbox and it pulled over my sub folders. HOWEVER .. I can only view my subfolders online. I guess I don't need to see them on my phone....lol

You should be able to see them. From your Inbox click the menu button and then click Labels. Google refers to sub folders as Labels.

QuietStorm007

Reaction score
You should be able to see them. From your Inbox click the menu button and then click Labels. Google refers to sub folders as Labels.

I'm an idiot .. I went into lables before but I didn't scroll down. :icon_eek: Found them! :D

OP
M

matt30

Reaction score
Humm... well I have mine turned off and I can send myself an email from my computer and it will will hit my phone in about 7 seconds and I have my "mobile data continuous thing" turned off.
I'm using gmail and the gmail app.

I'm using the HTC mail widget thing for my AOL account. I know that gmail is really the way to go using this phone (for obvious reasons) but i've had my AOL account for like .... 7yrs ... I just can't justify changing over to Gmail just to get an instant notification.

I sent a test email to myself and maybe a minute after the Gmail popped up. Been 5min now and I don't have a notification yet for AOL through the HTC widget.

edit*** for some reason my AOL acct popped up right after the 5min. i dunno why it did it so quick this time!

The HTC app will poll the server ever few minutes (depending on how you set it). If you set it to refresh every hour, it will take hours to get your email. Gmail and MS exchange mail will come instantly over a constant connection only with always on mobile data turned on.

windstrings

Reaction score
tested mine twice more ... one took 2 minutes, the other about 30 seconds.

a third time, about 12 seconds

laura_h

Reaction score
I hope i am...

https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.co...uresDescriptionPopup.action?featureCode=73715

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.

• Check and send personal emails when you’re out and about.
  • Access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP Personal Email accounts.
  • Enjoy unlimited Internet access.
Compare your Smartphone data options:
Personal
Email Corporate
Email Unlimited
Internet Access Monthly
Charge Unlimited Data
Usage for
Smartphone Included

Included

Included

$44.99

Email & Web for
Smartphone Included

---

Included

$29.99

The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features. Service is only available in the National Enhanced Services and Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas. See information on roaming in Canada and Mexico at www.verizonwireless.com/naroaming.
Additional Terms & Conditions apply

This is referring to Personal VS Enterprise accounts. Meaning, the 29.99 is for use with PERSONAL emails (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) the 44.99 is for Enterprise Servers (work email). Both of those have unlimited data (that doesnt change), it's all a matter of what you're synced to.

SeanRinVA

Reaction score
That is the case for Blackberry, but many people I've talked with are syncing their work email on the Android phones (either with the built-in app or a 3rd party app, such as TouchDown) and they (and I) are on the $29.99 plan.

My understanding is that the $44.99 plan is for corporations - on corporate accounts.

I hope i am...

https://ebillpay.verizonwireless.co...uresDescriptionPopup.action?featureCode=73715

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.

• Check and send personal emails when you’re out and about.
  • Access up to 10 POP3 and IMAP Personal Email accounts.
  • Enjoy unlimited Internet access.
Compare your Smartphone data options:
Personal
Email Corporate
Email Unlimited
Internet Access Monthly
Charge Unlimited Data
Usage for
Smartphone Included

Included

Included

$44.99

Email & Web for
Smartphone Included

---

Included

$29.99

The Email and Web for BlackBerry and Email and Web for Smartphone Features are designed for personal, consumer use and are not compatible with some Internet email service offerings or with email applications utilizing BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry Desktop Software, Wireless Sync or Wireless Sync Enterprise Server or Good™ Mobile Messaging. These features cannot be used to tether your device to laptops, personal computers or other devices for any purpose other than syncing of data; any other use is not permitted using these features. Service is only available in the National Enhanced Services and Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Areas. See information on roaming in Canada and Mexico at www.verizonwireless.com/naroaming.
Additional Terms & Conditions apply

This is referring to Personal VS Enterprise accounts. Meaning, the 29.99 is for use with PERSONAL emails (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) the 44.99 is for Enterprise Servers (work email). Both of those have unlimited data (that doesnt change), it's all a matter of what you're synced to.

Danariel

Reaction score
Holy necropost, Batman! :icon_eek: That being said, for those new to Android and/or Google such as this fellow:

I know that gmail is really the way to go using this phone (for obvious reasons) but i've had my AOL account for like .... 7yrs ... I just can't justify changing over to Gmail just to get an instant notification.

You can set up your Gmail account to import ALL your other accounts from Yahoo!, Hotmail, AOL, or other webmail or POP3 accounts. Have Hotmail? Gmail can get it for you. Have 2 or 3 personal email accounts, say one Yahoo, one Comcast, and one Gmail? You can set Gmail to grab the other 2 as well, and have ALL your email in one convenient place.

You can send your "Changing to Gmail" message, but add in your old email addresses and not have to worry if you missed anybody, OR you can just leave everyone with your old email address and only use Gmail to get, read, and send. You can even set Gmail to send email using the old email address.

These settings are under Settings>Accounts & Import from Gmail in a web browser on a PC.

As far as Always On data, I have it checked, but 3g doesn't even show up when I have a WiFi connection. Then when I leave my WiFi behind, 3g comes on just fine. WiFi takes less battery than 3g.

Last edited:

colagada

Reaction score
I realize that this is an old thread.

If "Always on Mobile Data" is unchecked, most streaming data (i.e. Pandora), will shut off a few minutes after the screen goes dark.

If "Background data" is unchecked, certain applications won't work, while others will stop updating.

A battery manager application will do these things automatically ---- 2X Battery Saver is the first to come to mind. They'll turn off data X minutes after the screen goes dark, turn it back on periodically to receive updates, and turn it on when the screen is unlocked (on). In other words, you can leave both of the above enabled, and 2X will disable them for you.

Note that phone calls and SMS are unaffected by these. Both were around long before mobile phones had data (i.e. Web) capabilities, and both operate off the phone network and independent of the (separate) data network.

NightAngel79

Reaction score
^good point... though i believe my pandors kept playing a good while after screen was off. That might be cause my wifi was on and set to always stay on.. not sure