Enable always-on mobile data

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I get email, but I am not using the gmail app. I like HTC's email app, because, well...just because :p

I do challenge anyone's stance that the setting does not affect gtalk though. With the setting off, gtalk is a crapshoot. With it on, its as reliable as BB Messenger.

Based on your post I decided to give the HTC Mail app a shot. All I can say is, thank you. Much better interface, mail is now integrated with People, saving attachments is easier. It even has the "Conversations" view. Fantastic.

I set mail to check every 5 minutes and went back and unchecked the "Enable Always On Mobile Data". Emails are coming right through. Thanks again. Anyone who hasn't tried the Mail app needs to check it out.

windstrings

Reaction score
I get email, but I am not using the gmail app. I like HTC's email app, because, well...just because :p

I do challenge anyone's stance that the setting does not affect gtalk though. With the setting off, gtalk is a crapshoot. With it on, its as reliable as BB Messenger.

Based on your post I decided to give the HTC Mail app a shot. All I can say is, thank you. Much better interface, mail is now integrated with People, saving attachments is easier. It even has the "Conversations" view. Fantastic.

I set mail to check every 5 minutes and went back and unchecked the "Enable Always On Mobile Data". Emails are coming right through. Thanks again. Anyone who hasn't tried the Mail app needs to check it out.

Interesting... have you tried downloading or sending large attachments.... like 15 - 20mb songs etc?

I"m using "attachemail" as the app to enable the gmail app to send large files and "blackmoon attachsave" as the app to enable gmail to "receive and download to SD card".

If I don't need those for the HTC app, it will worth it, otherwise, I don't want to have limitations of not being able to send and receive large files.

Would you mind testing it for me?

JayCizzo

Reaction score

Interesting... have you tried downloading or sending large attachments.... like 15 - 20mb songs etc?

I"m using "attachemail" as the app to enable the gmail app to send large files and "blackmoon attachsave" as the app to enable gmail to "receive and download to SD card".

If I don't need those for the HTC app, it will worth it, otherwise, I don't want to have limitations of not being able to send and receive large files.

Would you mind testing it for me?

I don't have access to my phone at work. It's in a locker outside our secure facility. I can give it a try when I get home if someone else doesn't test it beforehand. Do you use Wi/Fi or 3G when sending?

shezo

Reaction score
Bumping this thread because the original topic actually seems related to my issue.

For the past few days, I've notice google talk has been spotty (not receiving messages as they are sent). I used to be sitting at my computer, and a gtalk msg would hit my screen and phone at relatively the same time. Now, they don't even come to my phone at all because for some reason my connection to gtalk is gone.

I think it's got something to do with my 3g connection going dead when not in use. After some testing, I was able to receive gtalk messages after doing something to kick-start the 3g connection.

I'm not using wireless and when I'm out of the house I rely on gtalk for all my text-messages. I'm not sure where the "Always-on Mobile data" setting is, so I may have accidentally disabled it. I do have" Background Data" and "Auto-sync" enabled. Other than that, I can't think of what setting might be off here.

Any ideas?

windstrings

Reaction score
I guess I need to learn more about gtalk..... my daughter has limited text.... do you only save pertaining to friends you have that also use gtalk?.. or is there a way to allow gtalk to handle all your text?

As far as "always on mobile data" setting... I would think you would need that on if you use gtalk....

Look in menu--->settings--->wireless and networks---.mobile networks---- there you will see the option to check it or uncheck it.

shezo

Reaction score
I'm not replacing SMS text messaging per se, just telling all my friends with google phones to use gtalk instead to message me.

Also, that setting isn't there for me. All I see are settings for "Data Roaming" and "System Select (CDMA roaming mode)". Nothing to do with "Always-on Mobile Data". I'm using a motorola droid running 2.1. Did the setting vanish? or did I manage to break something?

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm not replacing SMS text messaging per se, just telling all my friends with google phones to use gtalk instead to message me.

Also, that setting isn't there for me. All I see are settings for "Data Roaming" and "System Select (CDMA roaming mode)". Nothing to do with "Always-on Mobile Data". I'm using a motorola droid running 2.1. Did the setting vanish? or did I manage to break something?

LOL!... that explains it... you don't have that setting!... unless its hidden somewhere in the programming menu.... I"ve never looked on my moto to see.....

but that setting is on the Incredible droid.

Remember.. this is a Droid Incredible tech issue thread.... its gonna get confusing if you ask too many questions pertaining to the moto on it.

windstrings

Reaction score
For some reason, even with enable always on, my emails take FOREVER to show up. Hours lag time ....

Humm... well I have mine turned off and I can send myself an email from my computer and it will will hit my phone in about 7 seconds and I have my "mobile data continuous thing" turned off.
I'm using gmail and the gmail app.

So I don't think thats the issue for you and its not a smartphone thing.. you have something configured wrong somewhere.....

Are you using gmail?... I am.... maybe if your using another carrier that lag is between them and google or verizon.... I'm not sure how things are routed if your're using another email provider.

Also, if your using another app "besides gmail app" to handle your email account ... thats another variable.

The frustrating thing about smartphones are not that they slow because thats just the opposite.

But rather that there are so many choices and opportunities to configure that users can get confused if coming from the simple cell phone world where they are stuck with "One" piece of software to do what they do.... yes, less room for error, but more room for lack of abilities and latitude.... the reason for using a smartphone in the first place.

I"m a fairly computer geeky person and I almost took my droid moto back after 3 days of fighting with it as the learning curve coming from my Dare phone to the moto was rather nasty.... but instead of a mere phone, I now have a computer in my hand.

Don't give up...just compare your email carrier, what app your using, etc with other people who have the same aspects to see what your doing wrong.

I"m sure you'll get it figured out..... I haven't found a better free email service than google though... while not perfect, they have the money and power on the network end to not be on and off, sometimes working, sometimes not... they are pretty rock solid and reliable.

IMO, using a paid service is paying for less service.

Last edited:

QuietStorm007

Reaction score
Humm... well I have mine turned off and I can send myself an email from my computer and it will will hit my phone in about 7 seconds and I have my "mobile data continuous thing" turned off.

I'm using the HTC mail widget thing for my AOL account. I know that gmail is really the way to go using this phone (for obvious reasons) but i've had my AOL account for like .... 7yrs ... I just can't justify changing over to Gmail just to get an instant notification.

I sent a test email to myself and maybe a minute after the Gmail popped up. Been 5min now and I don't have a notification yet for AOL through the HTC widget.

edit*** for some reason my AOL acct popped up right after the 5min. i dunno why it did it so quick this time!

Last edited:

windstrings

Reaction score
I'm using the HTC mail widget thing for my AOL account. I know that gmail is really the way to go using this phone (for obvious reasons) but i've had my AOL account for like .... 7yrs ... I just can't justify changing over to Gmail just to get an instant notification.

I sent a test email to myself and maybe a minute after the Gmail popped up. Been 5min now and I don't have a notification yet for AOL through the HTC widget.

edit*** for some reason my AOL acct popped up right after the 5min. i dunno why it did it so quick this time!

Not here to slam AOL... well maybe :).... there is a reason they have earned the reputation for "almost online" (AOL).

Now for the bedtime story:..
Once upon a time when computers were doggy slow and no one knew what the internet was, there was AOL.
They served their purpose well and did a good job at dialup "at least considering the competition.. ie: compuserve, earthlink etc....and a few other pathetic services".

However when the internet started becoming popular and speeds picked up, they didn't remain progressive to stay ahead of the curve and buy equipment to keep services fast and clean, instead they do like many cities.... don't improve the roads until there are so many people cramming everything that they have to.. plus, instead of having to fork out proactive monies ahead of the crowds to meet the needs before and as they arrived, they collected monies first as taxes and fees built up keeping them from having to borrow initially to get the job done.
Even so AOL has always routinely failed in maintenance and promotes and gets new customers until the system is do slow they start losing customers.. only then do they buy more equipment and speed things up.. then "just like cities do" its marginal for the load and the cycle repeats.

Fair enough.. "thats one way to survive if your customers don't know the difference" but then greed came into play and especially at a time when the dot.com companies bubbles popped, they went into survival mode and only spent the bare necessities to stay alive.

Again, fair enough.. they are still alive, but rather than support the part of the market where the competition is.. the part that would take more money to combat, they stayed with the older generation that was just discovering online.
They put their money to promotions and getting their product in every home and making it easy for those who where not computer savvy.

It was a win win. People who either didn't know better or couldn't figure out complex configurations to get the faster services going were attracted to AOL as AOL did it all for them but had terribly slow unreliable service and used cheap doggy proxys to get by during peak times.

Why?..again, they didn't put monies back into infastructure to make the company great but rather catered to folks who felt they needed it to be easy.

They developed their own browser, dialup connection software and everything to make the experience mindless and that served a needed purpose at the time.

Yes, it made them popular, but to this day, they have too many customers for the infrastructure they have.

Most people who aren't computer savvy don't know what they are missing and so don't complain.
Without those kind of customers, AOL would have died a long time ago.

DSL.... ooh!.. 20 times faster than dialup.... what a deal!

Never knowing cable was 200+ times faster for pennys more.

Anyway..... none of this was mean't as an insult for using AOL.... just a commentary on why change is good.. when its for the better!
Your contacts list may convert right over to a google account.
If AOL has a way to backup your contacts, I would do so in everyform.... do it to your computer if possible, then you also have it through verizons backup assistant, and you can also backup to your SD card.... all of which should import right over when you get a google account.

Once you get your google account going, everything will sync with your google online account too.

No I don't work for Google, but I've played with computers and internet since the 286boards "pre win95... back just before win3.0" and I can tell you there are much better options than AOL.

AOL plays dirty pool too... without direct accusations but rather assuming they are just inefficient, I wouldn't put it past them to purposely slow the transactions between them and anyone who is not using their services trying to create the illusion its just better to stay with then and not stray... games At&T plays against Verizon!

A verizon customer and send or receive from any other carrier, but if there is every going to be problems, it will be between users of AT&T. AT&T "hates" verizon and is not motivated to be compatible with Verizon customers except out of the sheer need to survive.

The only reason I can see for not using Google is if you have a sophisticated business corporate accounts that are already functioning.

My Dad has a ministry email service through google and sends hundreds of emails back and forth flawlessly.

I used to use outlook express once upon a time, then Outlook, then thunderbird, now I simply use the online google email as its just as fast as using a email browser on my computer and I can access it from anywhere.

Anyway..... something to think about... google is friendly to Android and has reason to continue being so. AOL has no motivation to compete with google in any way as they know better.

Big Cam

Reaction score

It's really easy to switch email accounts. I'd look into it as AOL is a dying company.