Embedded Flash Videos not working

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Blake,

Thanks for checking. This was working great before update. I have three days to decide whether to keep. It's extremely frustrating.

Unless you return it for an older phone that's not likely to see any major OS updates in the future, having Flash again will probably be fairly short-lived. Adobe has already dropped pretty much all support for it on Android, and has said they'll be pulling it from the Play store in August I believe. While I agree that it sucks not having it fully functioning with the ICS update, it's regrettably something that we'll all have to get used to going forward on Android.

Brian47

Reaction score
Unless you return it for an older phone that's not likely to see any major OS updates in the future, having Flash again will probably be fairly short-lived. Adobe has already dropped pretty much all support for it on Android, and has said they'll be pulling it from the Play store in August I believe. While I agree that it sucks not having it fully functioning with the ICS update, it's regrettably something that we'll all have to get used to going forward on Android.

I hear that the Nexus works fine with flash. But I also hear that it has a lot of connectivity issues. I just wish that sites were further along with html5 conversion. It could take a year or longer. Seems like every site that I am interested in utilizes flash.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I hear that the Nexus works fine with flash. But I also hear that it has a lot of connectivity issues. I just wish that sites were further along with html5 conversion. It could take a year or longer. Seems like every site that I am interested in utilizes flash.

The Galaxy Nexus works fine with Flash now, but it's about to be updated to Jelly Bean (probably in the next month). Flash does not support Jelly Bean. So, it's like I was saying, if you want to keep Flash for the long haul, you'll need to get an older device that isn't likely to see Jelly Bean or even ICS (because, even though Flash says it's supported on ICS, it's not fully supported on all devices as is evidenced by the RAZR/MAXX ICS update).

As for connectivity on the Nexus, yeah, there are a lot of problems there. I went through four brand new ones, none of which could hold a signal or even get a signal in many situations. There's no way I'd go back to it after the MAXX. The Nexus is a great device, but it's a terrible phone. But regardless, the Jelly Bean update will probably kill Flash on it, or at the very least it will severely cripple it like it is on the RAZR/MAXX, so it's not a device those who want Flash should be considering.

Last edited:

Brian47

Reaction score
I guess the only advantage that android has over IOS is screen size and 4G at this point. I wonder how easy it is to ignore update. I really do like the razr....

blake28

Reaction score
So i went to the Adobe website and checked to c if my flash player was working or not. Actually the website picked my flash player up and gave me the version # and stated that it was working properly. Now i DL'ed older versions of flash and tested them, but none of them would get picked up on the site. The only 1 that did was the most recent version. So I'm wondering since flash for me is working on and off, if maybe the problem isn't with flash itself, but maybe it's more of a problem with ics and that some of the sites haven't been updated for ics yet. I dont know, but for me some of the time flash is working perfectly, and others, it just crashes so i dobt know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ArchRider

Reaction score
I've had exactly the same problems listed here and have done just about everything others have done (I wish I would have found this thread first). It did seem as though immediately after I re-installed Flash after my ICS update that embedded videos worked but it wasn't for long (maybe I'm not recalling the sequence of events correctly). That part has me particularly baffled.
But I agree with everyone on here who liked the RAZR because of the web capabilities including Flash and now it's just another iPhone with more apps.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I guess the only advantage that android has over IOS is screen size and 4G at this point.

But I agree with everyone on here who liked the RAZR because of the web capabilities including Flash and now it's just another iPhone with more apps.

Sure the loss of Flash is disappointing, but let's not be ridiculous. There's a heck of a lot more separating Android and iOS than just Flash support, screen size, and LTE.

eriksen

Reaction score
what to do now

okay ics is pretty cool, except the fact that i can't play embedded flash videos on all my favorite websites. Would return this phone if i could now. My main use for my phone besides the obvious talk and text is to watch TV shows and movies in mirror mode hooked up to my TV. All videos are unplayable through any browser. Can i get rid of ics or exchange my razr. I'm pretty sure the websites that i use aren't getting rid of flash anytime soon

ArchRider

Reaction score
Bsweetness is really right. But it is just not right to think you are "upgrading" the phone only to have certain features taken away. And some people obviously really liked the Flash support. I'm beginning to wonder whether Android and Adobe might get out some update to at least get Android 4.0 and Flash 11.1 working together like they say they should. My surprise came when Adobe's site says 11.1 was updated to work with 4.0, and it doesn't, at least not on the Razr.

Brian47

Reaction score
I returned my razr. I was within my 14 days. Got the rezound. It will still support flash when ICS comes out for it. In no hurry to load ICS now. The certified phones for different OS can be found here. I picked the rezound because of this list. I will probably get a copy of the flash.apk file so that I am covered if they pull the app from the store in August as they are threatening.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I returned my razr. I was within my 14 days. Got the rezound. It will still support flash when ICS comes out for it. In no hurry to load ICS now. The certified phones for different OS can be found here. I picked the rezound because of this list. I will probably get a copy of the flash.apk file so that I am covered if they pull the app from the store in August as they are threatening.

And I'm sure you'll be one of the few Rezound users who hopes it doesn't see an upgrade to Jelly Bean. :smile:

Brian47

Reaction score
And I'm sure you'll be one of the few Rezound users who hopes it doesn't see an upgrade to Jelly Bean. :smile:

My dream is that since the rezound doesn't have ICS yet, html5 will start to trickling to sites or there will be apps available like iphone has before jellybean.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I have a Droid4 and on all the leaks I've tried (206, 208, and 211) embedded video and flash didn't work. However I just jumped to the 213 leak and it works.

I read that a day ago they found 214 leak for the Razr on cheesecake, so maybe when they update ICS for you guys embedded video will work again. Some people have said the new leak works better than the OTA ICS so Moto knows about the remaining and is trying to fix them.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid4 and on all the leaks I've tried (206, 208, and 211) embedded video and flash didn't work. However I just jumped to the 213 leak and it works.

I read that a day ago they found 214 leak for the Razr on cheesecake, so maybe when they update ICS for you guys embedded video will work again. Some people have said the new leak works better than the OTA ICS so Moto knows about the remaining and is trying to fix them.

Thanks for this bit of news!!! Keeping hope alive about a OTA update in the near future.