Email being marked as read

momoftwo

Reaction score
Hi there...suddenly two days ago, all my gmail is being marked as read as soon as there is a refresh. It is driving me nuts. The glitch started in the middle of day and I can not link it to anything that I did to the phone, such as updating an app or anything else. I have searched the forum for ideas, no luck. I did clear the cache and data, restart phone etc. Any ideas? Thanks!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to diagnose problems like this without much more information. But here's something you can try at least to see where the problem lies.

Download the K-9 email client to your phone and point it at your google gmail account. K-9 enables considerably greater control over features like "mark as read" and "delete from server" than the standard gmail app.

If you find the same problem with K-9 as the gmail app you'll at least know that the problem lies either with your phone (not your email app) or with the server. If you don't, you'll know the problem is with the gmail app.

OP
M

momoftwo

Reaction score
Thanks! Downloaded K9 (which is a great app!), set the stock gmail app to not sync anymore. The email in k9 is being kept unread but the gmail on my PC is still being marked as read. Seems like this must be a gmail issue and not the android system..Very irritating and I can't find a fix online. Oh well...will keep looking,

JWest0926

Reaction score
email marked as read?

I'm also having the same issue. anyone have a fix? I'm on the HTC Thunderbolt. Thank you!