ello'

d_eathmouse

Reaction score
hi, my name is Andrew.....i live in Skykomish, Washington. i made an account on this website because it can be frusteratingly difficult to find the exact information you need on phones, how to unlock them, the criteria that must be met to get and use an unlock code, and if your phone can even be used the way you want to use it.

so, i just recently bought a Nokie E71, i think, from a Slickdeals sale, $50 for the phone and $45 for the unlimited plan....through Straigh Talk. i had heard that i would be able to tether on the phone and have had no such luck.....this is not what i am concerned about though. after having the phone for less than a month i have come to the conclusion that i need a much better phone, it didn't even have a 3.5mm headphone jack so i had to buy an $11 adapter and still only have audio through one of the headphones. like i said though, this phone is not the issue.

so in deciding to get an actual smartphone, something with a touch screen and easier tethering capabilities, i found a few choices. i saw some decent deals on used Droid 2's for around $80. however, my mom had a phone through verizon they aren't using anymore and they offered it to me. it is a Droid Incredible 2. i did my fair share of Googling and found that i need an unlock code to unlock the phone and be able to use another sim card in it. i want to place my Straight Talk sim card in this Verizon phone and be able to use my current $45 plan on this new phone. the first major issue i ran in to was that my mom had the phone number taken off the phone, or whatever is done when you have an un-active phoneline on your contract.....they don't want to cancel because then they will get hit by the disconnect fee. when i called customer service to get the unlock code they told me that i would need to have the phone active through the process.....well, i don't really want to add service to the phone as it will just be a waste of money.

is there some way to get the unlock code for free without having to add service to the Incredible 2?
even if i get the unlock code, can it be used on a phone that currently does not have service?
if i get the code will a Straight Talk sim even work in this phone, a Verizon Droid Incredible 2?
i have seen a lot of places where you can buy the unlock code online? is this a good idea? like, is it safe to do....and will it work for me?

S

SFGate

Welcome to the site. Somebody should come along to help. DancingNexus

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Hope you get the answers you need, not too familiar with this.

OP
D

d_eathmouse

Reaction score
bump, hope this isn't a no-no.....to bump that is. would love some help.....thanks.