Echolink for Android--Attention all ham radio nuts!!!

droidkillstheiphone

Reaction score
I, like many other ham/droid users, would love to see echolink come out with an app for the android systems as such as they have for the iphone. While looking at their site i found the following info listed under the iphone section:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Any plans for creating other editions of EchoLink for other smartphones?[/FONT]

Users have asked about the possibility of an EchoLink app for BlackBerry, Symbian, PalmOS, Android, and Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, these platforms are all very different from each other, so developing software for each would involve five separate development efforts, in addition to iPhone. There is no project underway right now to develop an edition of EchoLink for any of these platforms, although an edition for the Android platform is under consideration.

You see that? they are considering it! Which means CQ CQ CQ!!! CALLING ALL HAMS!!! LOG ONTO Support AND REQUEST THEY MAKE THE APP FOR US TOO!!!

73'S
KD8IHC

Ferradinho

Reaction score
Just passed my test last Saturday for my technician class license. I also think this would be way awesome if they made an android app! I'm putting in a request also...

CharlieJ

Reaction score
THANKS for the info! I'll be posting a request this afternoon.
73s
W4TCJ

nb2a

Reaction score
Info

Please join the yahoo group droidhams:icon_ banana:

slobull

Reaction score
Echolink

WOOOHooooo. That's going to be right on. I been using echomac for awhile then I got this droid phone. May some one can come up with a medical scanner like Boones used on Star Treck? K6REB

kb3awq

Reaction score
Development has begun on an edition of EchoLink for Android but there is no estimated timetable for release as yet. EchoLink for iPhone was developed over a period of about 7 months. However, about 7 months. However, the server-side code can be shared with Android, so I suspect the Android effort will be somewhat less. This is the message I got back a week ago from echolink when I sent them another message and asked some questions

nb2a

Reaction score
I am looking forward to that. I currently use my droid on my motorcycle replacing my Ipod to my stereo input for the ipod.I also use the droid with TRX manager which also works for the droid.:icon_ banana:

kb3awq

Reaction score
OK. The last I seen which was pretty recent it still said it was under consideration. I wish there were more Ham apps. I hope for echolink. Why do you not think Tom?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to that. I currently use my droid on my motorcycle replacing my Ipod to my stereo input for the ipod.I also use the droid with TRX manager which also works for the droid.:icon_ banana:
Do you happen to have pictures of the way you're doing this? I mean, for example, I rode just over 200 miles today and wouldn't consider listening to my Pandora, Slacker or mp3's because it would drain the battery very quickly. I do have a lighter plug but I wouldn't have a place to put the Droid.

EchoLink on the Droid will be really cool and it won't be soon enough!

nb2a

Reaction score
OK. The last I seen which was pretty recent it still said it was under consideration. I wish there were more Ham apps. I hope for echolink. Why do you not think Tom?

The apps for the droid in general are the underlying reason why its not a priority.The apps in general need to be shared finally among the carriers and devices.Until that happens its like a turtle race.

OP
D

droidkillstheiphone

Reaction score
*UPDATE 4/11/10*
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Any plans for creating other editions of EchoLink for other smartphones?[/FONT]

Users have asked about the possibility of an EchoLink app for BlackBerry, Symbian, PalmOS, Android, and Windows Mobile. Unfortunately, these platforms are all very different from each other, so developing software for each would involve five separate development efforts, in addition to iPhone. Development has begun on an edition of EchoLink for Android (with no release timetable yet), but there are no projects underway right now to develop editions for other platforms.

CONGRATS ALL!!! WE'VE BUGGED THEM ENOUGH AND THEY ARE NOW DEVELOPING IT FOR ANDROID!!!