DVD Ripper and Converter for Mac

CHONiS

Reaction score
Im looking for a DVD ripper and converter for my Mac that will allow me to put the ripped DVDs on my Android. I looked up the Catalyst program that everyone here talks about but it only works on Windows. I have been looking for a few hours and cannot find anything for Mac. Help would greatly be appreciated! Thank you.

Thank you in advance,
CHONiS

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its called DVD Ripper, you have to play with the settings to get it right but it does what you need. there are versions of it too that convert to specific formats only.

OP
C

CHONiS

Reaction score
Lookin for a free version. But thank you.

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
Handbrake is what you are going to be looking for for converting movie files into compatible mp4 encoding in the h264 format.

For converting DVDs to mp4, Handbrake will do the trick but there is a security measure in place on DVDs that makes it harder to convert to a digital format. To bypass that security measure, AnyDVD by Slysoft works really well at bypassing that in order for you to convert to mp4.

If you have any questions, myself or DVDCatalyst will be more than happy to help you out.

circsmonky

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I forgot about handbrake. I really like dvd converter cause of all the options though I am a video editor

D

dvdcatalyst

Im looking for a DVD ripper and converter for my Mac that will allow me to put the ripped DVDs on my Android.

On the MAC, Handbrake would be the best option. (HandBrake)

After putting it on your MAC, you have to install VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/http://www.vlc.org) as well, otherwise it will not work with commercial (bought/rented) DVDs. (windows users need something like AnyDVD (not free) to make it work, which is what a lot of free guides forget to mention)

Once those 2 programs are on your Mac (run VLC once just to make sure it sets itself up and all) start Handbrake, and I'd suggest to start with one of the iPhone/iPod Touch profiles just to make sure its all working.
Once you have a successful conversion completed, and the created video file plays on your phone, you could play with the settings, but handbrake takes a bit of work to get used to.

If you have bootcamp setup (dualboot your MAC with Windows) or if you have VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop setup with Windows, you could use DVD Catalyst Free or DVD Catalyst 3 as well.

Some info on that can be found here:

DVD Catalyst on the MAC, sort of | Tools4Movies, the official home of DVD Catalyst

OP
C

CHONiS

Reaction score
Well... Ive got Handbrake and then downloaded VLC. Now when I go to Handbrake, it says that I do not have the 64 bit VLC. But I downloaded the 64 bit VLC. Why is this not working...???

Thanks in advance.

D

dvdcatalyst

Well... Ive got Handbrake and then downloaded VLC. Now when I go to Handbrake, it says that I do not have the 64 bit VLC. But I downloaded the 64 bit VLC. Why is this not working...???

Thanks in advance.

A quick google search gave me this link to Handbrake's forums

HandBrake • View topic - Problem with Handbrake 64 bit & VLC 64bit

if you run into more issues on getting Handbrake to work, I'm sure they are already asked and answered on Handbrake's own forums.

OP
C

CHONiS

Reaction score
Thank you dvdcatalyst. It is now working!

Thanks everyone for the help.

CHONiS

OP
C

CHONiS

Reaction score
NEW PROBLEM!

I got everything on the computer side to work. I ripped a DVD and have an .m4v file of my DVD on my computer that I can play in VLC and everything. The whole video will play. I transfer the video to my Droid and the video plays but there is no video. All I hear is the sound of the movie but no video shows up. Do I need a different video player on the Droid? Help! Thanks.

CHONiS

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
NEW PROBLEM!

I got everything on the computer side to work. I ripped a DVD and have an .m4v file of my DVD on my computer that I can play in VLC and everything. The whole video will play. I transfer the video to my Droid and the video plays but there is no video. All I hear is the sound of the movie but no video shows up. Do I need a different video player on the Droid? Help! Thanks.

CHONiS

I see this happened alot on different threads.

1: Use the default iPod & iPhone profile
2: Under the Picture tab, turn Anamorphic to none and checkmark "Keep Aspect Ratio"
3: For the picture size, its up to you but either go 480 or 854 and the height will automatically adjust.
4: Under the Video tab, make sure Video Codec is "H.264(x264)" and FPS either set to Source or desired framerate, then select 2-pass encoding or not.
5: Set Quality to Avg Bitrate and select a range of "500-1500" for playback off a sdcard or "200-400" for streaming over wi-fi or 3G.
6: Under Audio tab, change the bitrate to desired quality
7: Lastly, go ahead and encode and see if that worked.
Optional: Make sure to check mark the "Web Optimized" box if you intend on streaming your movies from DVDCatalyst's Mp4 server, Dropbox, Tversity or a Qnap NAS Server with Qmobile over wi-fi or 3G for proper playback.

Let me know if you have any further issues with this method. It works for me on Windows but I have never touched a Mac so there might be some differences with the way things are done.

OP
C

CHONiS

Reaction score
Im using Handbrake. Not DVD Catalyst...