Dual-Core or Single Core?

hawkm

Reaction score
I wanted a new phone for my birthday. At first I wanted the Sony Xperia Play, but it didnt come out in time. I also see the reviews for the phone, and they dont look so good. So, I am now thinking about either the HTC Thunderbolt, or the HTC Incredible 2. But I realized that they both are single cores, not dual cores. Should I be caring for the amount of cores? I have an iPod Touch 3G, and I like the speed of that device. I'm not sure if it has dual core or single core, but i am fine with that speed. I also want an HTC because of HTC Sense. I like its UI better than Motorolas or Samsungs. And I dont feel like rooting the phone either (yet). So, should I be caring about the Dual Core or is a Single core fine?

Note I am also on Verizon.

Last edited:

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I dont think dual core matters. I believe I read soemthing here where some single cores actually beat out dual cores. At this time dual cores just arent well supported. Its like the PC CPU market. When Quad Cores came out, and for a bit after they came out, maybe a year or two, they offered little to no advantage in gaming computers as games werent able to take advantage of the 2 extra cores in the quad core. This is how dual core cpus in smart phones are now. There not a bad thing at the right price but it will be a little bit before you really see them make an impact.

As for comparing them to the iPod, assuming you have the 4th generation your PCU is under clocked to 800MHz. It doesnt run at the full 1GHz, so both phone should outperform the iPod, plus the CPUs in those phones are newer then that of the iPod further increasing there lead.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Depends on how important future-proofing is to you. If you're a frequent upgrader it's probably less important.

volando

Reaction score
Dual-core is EXTREMELY important. As long as the Android OS supports it (and it does) it could run multiple processes at the same time. While this may not speed up individual apps (like games) it greatly improves overall system performance, especially in an OS that has true multitasking.

I still remember the first time I sat in front of a dual-core pc... the smoothness of Windows was mind-blowing. The same applies to phones.

salem667

Reaction score
Or wait for the Droid X2... Not HTC, but from my experience with a lot of different phones, the only way id get rid of my X is for an X2

kinfolk248

Reaction score
ok heres a question thats been on my mind, is a single core 1 ghz phone 'better' than a dual core 800 mhz phone? basically what im asking is a lower rated dual core faster than a higher single?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Dual-core is EXTREMELY important. As long as the Android OS supports it (and it does) it could run multiple processes at the same time. While this may not speed up individual apps (like games) it greatly improves overall system performance, especially in an OS that has true multitasking.
Very good point there. Something I myself didnt consider and many others dont either I imagine. Of course this assumes the phone has the RAM to back up this principal.

ok heres a question thats been on my mind, is a single core 1 ghz phone 'better' than a dual core 800 mhz phone? basically what im asking is a lower rated dual core faster than a higher single?
I know 800Mhz was just an example but I dont think the dual cores are rated at less then 1Ghz. Dual cores are still pretty new, and there just now really starting to hit the market in mass production. You really have to take it on a CPU by CPU basis. Generally the dual cores are better but I know atleast 1 single core CPU can out perform a dual core. That single core will see better performance when running an app, but the dual core can help mange multi-tasking better.

Flowah

Reaction score
Get a dual core.

1. Multiple cores allows for better power management. Longer battery life.
2. More powerful as a general rule.
3. Android is adding more support for it all the time. It will only get better.

There's really no reason not to get a dual core at this point. There are enough phones out to give you a decent choice, more coming out very soon. They have all the benefits and no downsides really. Except maybe price.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
Well If you can wait for 1 month more than you can easily get HTC Sensation which come with 1.2 Ghz duel core processor.This is the best duel core processor because it is 1.2 GHZ not 1 GHZ. This is the best phone to invest money in.Just wait 1 or 1.5 month to launch the phone.

theres a htc sensation coming to vzw in amonth?
really?

We know the droid x 2 and the samsung galaxy 2 are coming eventually, i think you're going to be waiting a while for a dual core lte device though.

darkmatter

Reaction score
personally, I'm waiting for the droid3. Best of everything so far as I'm concerned. (I don't give one s**t about 4g)

I guess thats the other question you need to ask yourself. How important is 4g to you?

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
If it was me, I'll root it...
Root-ed phones are just too amazing!

Tapatalk-Motorola Droid-303!
Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
personally, I'm waiting for the droid3. Best of everything so far as I'm concerned. (I don't give one s**t about 4g)

I guess thats the other question you need to ask yourself. How important is 4g to you?

Exactly...i don't live in a metro area so it doesn't matter...and plus, I'm surrounded around wifi!
But it would be nice to show off some 4g's

Tapatalk-Motorola Droid-303!
Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Android is adding more support for it all the time. It will only get better.

It will only get better but I suspect we will be waiting for about 6 months to a year to really see android fully embrace dual cores. Im not bashing android or google or dual cores, but just basing this off how cores evolved with desktops. When quad cores came out and for awhile after that, about a year or two, if you built a gaming PC there was no need to go quad core. The dual cores performed equally as well. Now if you needed multi-tasking the quad core could help you out, and on the video conversion side, for example, quads did offer some advantage, but not to the extent they would later on. In todays PC world, windows, apps and game in general are almost always built to optimize quad cores to there max and quads are getting more efficient as well.