DroidX Wifi

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by newparadigm, May 10, 2011.

1. newparadigm

newparadigm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a second hand Droid X to replace my wife's dying D1. Unrooted as of yet. The wifi won't hold a connection. Googling around has revealed this not unique to me. However I cannot figure out if this is a software or hardware problem. Does anyone have any hard information on this, since I will either try to get my money back from the seller and find a different phone, or look harder for software updates/root/workarounds.

And I'm not messing with my otherwise perfectly functioning router (g mode only ASUS WL-520gu running Tomato with TKIP--ROCK stable--uptime measured in YEARS)

2. bitter

bitter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed it happening a lot on Froyo. On the first leaked Gingerbread 4.5.1_57_DX5-3, it works flawlessly.

3. newparadigm

newparadigm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate the response (and the avatar) .

I was looking for specific knowledge ie "known bug in wpa supplicant fixed on build ...." rather than anecdotal reports. I have seen other reports (though the build was not specified) that this has continued on gingerbread.

4. JonDroidX

JonDroidX New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This happened to mine and it was a hardware issue. I tried all the tricks (changing wireless security settings on router, new router antenna, etc) and nothing worked. Turned out to be the phone.

5. Rocko

Rocko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hard reset on both phone and router. Some X's don't like certain routers. Try another. If it still won't hold, send back the X.

6. newparadigm

newparadigm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like it is worst case scenario. Might be software, might be hardware, no clear "known" cause/solution.

7. baboon619

baboon619 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This might not help in a tech way but I was having problems with the wifi dropping out and not restarting until i would airplane mode on/off. Did the whole google search and found a ton of "maybe" answers to which none helped me. I just got a replacement phone and I have slowly been adding all my apps back on one by one and I have been running rock solid for 3 straight days. No hiccups, no lock ups and no wifi drops.
    So all in all my take is this... if you are experiencing MULTIPLE small problems and a hard reset does not solve your problem then I would consider returning the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

8. miles long

miles long New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    for me after the umteenth try, I was typing address wrong/ c2:b5:6b:0d:87 ehen it needs to be c2b56b0d87 once I figured that out it connects every time/worth a look.