Droid's Identity Crisis

Felix 222

Reaction score
I agree with most of the what the author writes. Having said that, I think Droid's (and Android's) success owes a lot to those flashy, red Droid ads on TV because they distinguish the Droid from the incredibly successful iPhone. Droid ads seemly imply, "It's badass, now go buy it!" I think Google has attempted to separate itself from this Droid strategy. We've all seen the new Nexus ads, and they're far different than those of the Droid's, especially the Razr. The introduction of Android is over and it has distinguished itself as an excellent OS. Google is showing some maturity in their new Nexus ads, taking more of an iPhone approach. Let the competition heat up!

2a7h2iw.jpg

imijhw.jpg

Reaction score
...It's more or less the carriers that have to approve the phones though. Always the carriers....

True. But not entirely "true." As much as I hate iPhones, that's something that Apple did right. They came to Verizon first to sell their iPhones. And Verizon wanted to bloat the hell out of it. Apple said, "No, thanks." And went to AT&T. Later Apple came back and said, "Now do you want to sell our phones?" Verizon said ok. Apple said, "keep the phone the way it is - the way we made it." Verizon saw the potential for income, and said, "Ok, fine. We'll do it." Google can do the same thing. Especially after acquiring Motorola Mobility. Moto could have done it a long time ago, but they are in bed with Verizon. Now hopefully Google does the right thing and tells Verizon to knock off the shenanigans.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

I say, "Merry Christmas"

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
And hopefully by then Google's acquisition is going strong by then and influences Moto to un-skin their devices.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen. Google has already stated that they're leaving Moto to run their mobile division as they see fit. The Moto acquisition was more about Google locking up some valued patents. The last thing Google wants to do is alienate Samsung, HTC, LG and the other minor manufacturers.

celtic11

Reaction score
I realize I may not be the majority here but I thought the beauty about android was basically that there is an android phone for nearly every type of smart phone users. Not only that, but I really haven't met too many people to find android to be confusing or intimidating in anyway, and I've NEVER heard someone complain about the commercials. Ill never forget the first time I saw an ad on tv for the original moto DROID. Not being a cell phone geek, I had never heard of android. Im normally a pretty intelligent person and research my purchases before I just blindly buy things based on advertising. But when I saw that commercial I said, "im getting that phone." I just thought it was fantastic that it went after the iphone.

I will admit there seems to lack of a disconnect with most people between a DROID and android. But whose fault is that? I very rarely see commercials from LG or Samsung advertising their product. I recently began seeing a commercial for the galaxy s II but I see a commercial for the moto razr on nearly every commercial break during football games.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

zathus

Reaction score
Google can't stop them from doing it. I think ics's overlay is so sexy they would be retarded to add blur or whatever. I'm sure they will though, and it sucks

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

aramos87

Reaction score
This is why I will be jumping off the Moto ship.. and buying the Galaxy Nexus. I'm honestly kind of fed up with Motos skin and not to mention all of the issues I've had with my current Droid.. but I read somewhere that the GN is coming with VZW's crapware !! I truly hope not !!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Reaction score
This is why I will be jumping off the Moto ship.. and buying the Galaxy Nexus. I'm honestly kind of fed up with Motos skin and not to mention all of the issues I've had with my current Droid.. but I read somewhere that the GN is coming with VZW's crapware !! I truly hope not !!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

+1. But, the beauty of the GN is that it will be easy to remove VZW's crapware. I am honestly starting to get torqued at VZW adding all that crap - esp because we could download it from the Market if we really want it. I too am jumping off the Moto hayride. And if VZW keeps it up, I am jumping off their hayride too. And I have been with Verizon since before it was known as Verizon. If there were any such thing as a Fascist Communist, VZW would be the definition. Coincidence that they are "Red?"

I mean we have Google Maps FOR FREE. It's a GOOGLE phone. Why would we want a mediocre at best VZ Navigator and pay extra for that crap? It and CityID is one of the first things that I remove, and BlockBuster. (Friggin Nazis)

Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen. Google has already stated that they're leaving Moto to run their mobile division as they see fit. The Moto acquisition was more about Google locking up some valued patents. The last thing Google wants to do is alienate Samsung, HTC, LG and the other minor manufacturers.

True. I never thought of it that way. But I still don't think it would be a bad idea for Google to put a fast stop on the skinning thing. That way it unifies their own product. And gives it an image everyone knows across the board no matter what carrier you are on.

Like Apple (not to use this example again, but it fits). I do despise Apple. But now that they are on every major carrier it is the same across the board. It has an image. It's unified. You would see iPhone and the same software, etc and wouldn't know which carrier it was without someone telling you.

That is one reason why I am jumping on the Nexus ship. It is the REAL Android/Droid. And I can make the phone MINE. And once I get the Nexus, I am not upgrading again until VZW has another Nexus. Or until I jump ship if they don't sport another Nexus.

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

I say, "Merry Christmas"

Last edited:

natezire71

Reaction score
How can Google tell someone what to do with a free item?? Google makes Android and puts it out there to be used by others. You can't tell someone what to do with something they can get for free. How would you control that. It defeats the point of Android. Now if you want a truly pure Android phone you will get a Nexus and be happy. Since its a Google branded phone its just as open as it can be.

One thing I think people forget is the "open source" nature of Android is not for us, the consumer. It was for the OEMs. Its a marketing scheme to get more,manufacturers using Android. All they have to do is develope a skin as opposed to the entire OS. Save bukoo bucks there.

As far as Android having an identity crisis, I would disagree. The issue is with the Droid line and everyone calling any Android phone a Droid. But in the end that's not really an issue. Android had some growing pains. But with all I've read and seen of ICS, what was is no more. Android has matured. It is where it needs to be to be competitive in more than just sheer numbers.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

I guess I didn't think of it like that.

Whatever Google does, they need to flippin' do it. I have a bad feeling that this may be the only Nexus device on VZ for a long time.

natezire71

Reaction score
True. But not entirely "true." As much as I hate iPhones, that's something that Apple did right. They came to Verizon first to sell their iPhones. And Verizon wanted to bloat the hell out of it. Apple said, "No, thanks." And went to AT&T. Later Apple came back and said, "Now do you want to sell our phones?" Verizon said ok. Apple said, "keep the phone the way it is - the way we made it." Verizon saw the potential for income, and said, "Ok, fine. We'll do it." Google can do the same thing. Especially after acquiring Motorola Mobility. Moto could have done it a long time ago, but they are in bed with Verizon. Now hopefully Google does the right thing and tells Verizon to knock off the shenanigans.

I say, "Merry Christmas"

I don't see why Google doesn't do that. I know of the story you told, and VZ was stupid to try and pull a fast one on Apple. Needless to say, I picture Apple as "The Bully" and Google as "The Nerd." Google is just too nice to say anything about it. As dumb as that sounds. They need to do something about it though. Apple is doing great, and you'll notice they don't get pushed around--they do the pushing.

Reaction score
How can Google tell someone what to do with a free item?? Google makes Android and puts it out there to be used by others. You can't tell someone what to do with something they can get for free. How would you control that. It defeats the point of Android. Now if you want a truly pure Android phone you will get a Nexus and be happy. Since its a Google branded phone its just as open as it can be.

One thing I think people forget is the "open source" nature of Android is not for us, the consumer. It was for the OEMs. Its a marketing scheme to get more,manufacturers using Android. All they have to do is develope a skin as opposed to the entire OS. Save bukoo bucks there.

As far as Android having an identity crisis, I would disagree. The issue is with the Droid line and everyone calling any Android phone a Droid. But in the end that's not really an issue. Android had some growing pains. But with all I've read and seen of ICS, what was is no more. Android has matured. It is where it needs to be to be competitive in more than just sheer numbers.

"Stay classy Interwebz"

I understand what you are saying. However, I have a different viewpoint on it.

They put it out there, yes. But it is still THEIRS.VZW didn't make it. Every carrier and manufacturer can still make it their own without skinning and completely locking it down or adding bloatware. And if they add bloatware, they need to give you a way to delete it off of YOUR phone if you should decide to do it, or don't have any use for it, at least for the time being. You can download or redownload from the Market if you decide you want it (again).

It should still be unified across the board. I don'tmind carriers putting their logo on the phone. But to add crap that cannot be removed from an Android OS phone is pathetic. Google had a vision and a mission statement. It looks like they are not following either by letting everyone push them around. And I believe that Google did not have a locked down phone in their vision. Yes, you need the protection to companies and individuals. Android has that abiloty without carriers and manufacturers further locking down what is meant to be open source (I know the difference of open source and doing whatever the hell you want to.) Nexus (pardon the pun) is a Prime example of that. It is what Google has in mind. MicroSD card slot or not, I am selling myself if I have to to get a true Google experience and thwhat they meant the system to be.

I'm sure Big Red will stick their logo all oger the phone. Like I said, I'm ok with that, as long as it is what Google has intended the platform to be.

Telling people its an open source platform and then turning around and letting people lock everything down with no room for ANY customization at all is an *oxymormon IMHO.

*Note: Before anyone goes crying to a MOD because you're all butt-hurt, I grew up Mormon, so I can say that. And I just think that the phrase is funny as hell.

*Edited

I say, "Merry Christmas"

Last edited: