Droid's Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by pchakmak, Dec 1, 2011.

1. pchakmak

pchakmak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The banter on this site is extremely interesting, and I for one enjoy it thoroughly! I found this article, which some of you probably read, and found it very much hits home to some of the frustration of the people on this site.

With all of the back and forth about the "who, where, what and how" surrounding the release of that phone...whats it called again...oh yea the Nexus(heavy sarcasm), I found this article to pose some very interesting points about Android/Google's relationship. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated...

Android’s identity crisis seems to be growing - The Washington Post

2. sbenson

sbenson Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I've been saying this since I first came to Android. Very well written article and I agree with most everything he says.

Android definitely doesn't have a clear identity. Like the writer, on more than one occasion I'v had to differentiate Android and Droid for my wife, friends and family members. Google needs to kill the custom manufacturer's skin overlays (or pull back on the amount of extreme customizations) and try to unify Android's image. ICS is beautiful and an excellent base for all manufacturers to start from. Manufacturers should spend less time skinning their software and more time bulletproofing their hardware.

3. chewy74

chewy74 Active Member

Ratings:
    +16
    This made me angry :icon_cussing:

4. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    How the hell is the Razr a VASTLY inferior device?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

5. Panther1911

Panther1911 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for posting this.

He couldn't be more right. When I started shopping for a android phone a few years ago, i know very little of what to expect. I expected the OS to be the same across the phones. I was looking at the spec cards and they mostly all had Android 2.1 listed as their operating system. But some of the phones OS's were different. So I choose the one that seemed to be the most basic, the D1.

Since then I have learned about all the UIs that the phone companies put in.

That is why I am holding out for the Nexus. I want the OS the way google intended it to be. Sense UI cost HTC a sale. If it weren't for Sense, I would have bought a rezound.

6. mightybrick

mightybrick Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I remember reading that this was Google's intention with ICS: to make it so appealing that the manufacturers wouldn't want or need to skin it. We will know for sure once the Razr and Rezound get ICS.

7. tjk629

tjk629 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Current Phone Model:
    NEXUS 6
    If Samsung could touchwiz HC then I'm sure they'll keep the skins.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

8. firefighterguy

Ratings:
    +1
    Had I known that the Nexus would potentially be out this soon before I got my Bionic, I would have held out. I am pissed because immediately after I got my Bionic, the Razr is dropped. Conveniently right after my 14 days are up (it used to be 30 days. What's VZW trying to hide or pull?) Hopefully with Google buying Moto Mobility, Google can streamline the software and keep Moto from skinning their crap on it. And I hope Google grows a set of balls and tells VZW that if they want to sell their phones, that they need to quit sticking their crap on it too. I am sick and tired of having to take that bloatware crap off! I don't use it. Have no use for it. It's wasted space on MY device and takes up resources that could be used for something else. That's the main reason I root. To take that crap off MY phone. It's not VZW's anymore. I bought it. Especially because I bought it outright.

Thanks for letting me vent. And I like the article you posted. Thank you.

*Edited

"Patriotism is supporting your Country at all times. And your government only when it deserves it" --Mark Twain

I say, "Merry Christmas"

#8 firefighterguy, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  9. natezire71

natezire71 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with everything this article states. The Droid RAZR isn't a VASTLY inferior device, but IMHO, it's inferior to the Nexus.

Please don't start a flame war; we all have different tastes. ;)

10. prowler85

prowler85 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Good article. And I too wouldn't say that the Razr is VASTLY inferior...in fact I can't say it's inferior at all, as I haven't seen nor played with a Nexus as of yet. I do know my wife's Razr is significantly better than my Bionic (which ticks me off like firefighterguy above). Doubt it's vastly inferior to the GN though, but time will tell.

11. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I'm going to be the odd man out and offer a dissenting opinion.

Yes I think Android is going in too many directions but I think that's the whole point. Everyone can get more or less what they want from the OS or make it into what they want.

However, for the long term I think Google needs to have its own pure Android line up. Android should be able to stand on its own and Google should be able to market it and their ecosystem as a mainstream/iPhone-esque/simple and pure alternative.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

12. pchakmak

pchakmak Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Razr is not a VASTLY inferior phone, but am I the only one who thinks its pretty darn ugly???