Droid X2 Turns Off/ doesnt come out of standby

killianss

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a droid X for over a year, unfortunately I dropped it in the water and got this Droid X2 using the insurance.

This droid X2 has been great except for one annoying repeating issue. This phone basically turns its self off randomly. Does it about 1 to 3 times a day.

Ive pulled it out of my pocket and its off, left it on a counter and g\came back to it and saw it was off. All sorts of scenarios all of which involve the phone screen being off.

Now I have tried everything and from what I understand from the Verizon Tech that its a known issue and that I should try widget locker or wait untill 2.3 for it to be resolved. This would be idea except widget locker is a 1.99$ app. The only way I can get the phone to come back is to do a battery pull and it will boot right up.

I would just like to add i have tried with or without ATK or Launcher Pro.

Has anyone ever seen this issue, any ideas on what I can o to resolve this. The Verizon rep also said if I get a new phone that there is a good chance that it would do the same thing.

I really loved my Droid X I would get uptime of 30+ days with it! I just need that kind of stability again.

hilbee

Reaction score
I received the Droid X2 as a replacement after going through several HTC Droid Incredibles. I really like the phone but am having the same issue as you. I've had the phone less than a week and it's happended 3 times. The only way to recover is a battery pull. I contacted VZW customer service and they are sending out a new phone, I should receive it tomorrow. The lady I talked to didn't know what the cause was and said I was only the 3rd person to report the issue to them since the phone came out. She doesn't know if it is a software issue and that I might have this happen again on the new phone. I asked what would be done at that time and she said to wait and see. In the past month I've had to reload everything onto a 2nd DInc, that died, a replacement Samsung Fascinate - failed twice in 2 days and NOT a feature rich handset. And now the DX2. I was beginning to think it was just me. I don't root my phones (have no clue how), and have been fairly conservative on what I load simply due to the fact that I don't want to put extreme effort in if I'm only going to have to reload everything onto the next phone they send me. I'm about out of options without using an upgrade and resigning, which I'm not ready to do at this point. Not because I won't stay with them but because of wanting to see what else is coming out.
Question - did you also have issues with your RAM running very low? I tried to get her assistance on this but she really didn't understand what I was trying to tell her. (um, she's tech support and I know more than her) *smile*

OP
K

killianss

Reaction score
I received the Droid X2 as a replacement after going through several HTC Droid Incredibles. I really like the phone but am having the same issue as you. I've had the phone less than a week and it's happended 3 times. The only way to recover is a battery pull. I contacted VZW customer service and they are sending out a new phone, I should receive it tomorrow. The lady I talked to didn't know what the cause was and said I was only the 3rd person to report the issue to them since the phone came out. She doesn't know if it is a software issue and that I might have this happen again on the new phone. I asked what would be done at that time and she said to wait and see. In the past month I've had to reload everything onto a 2nd DInc, that died, a replacement Samsung Fascinate - failed twice in 2 days and NOT a feature rich handset. And now the DX2. I was beginning to think it was just me. I don't root my phones (have no clue how), and have been fairly conservative on what I load simply due to the fact that I don't want to put extreme effort in if I'm only going to have to reload everything onto the next phone they send me. I'm about out of options without using an upgrade and resigning, which I'm not ready to do at this point. Not because I won't stay with them but because of wanting to see what else is coming out.
Question - did you also have issues with your RAM running very low? I tried to get her assistance on this but she really didn't understand what I was trying to tell her. (um, she's tech support and I know more than her) *smile*

Heya, haven't had any issues with my RAM running low Nothing so far on the X2 tho. I am in similar situation although Verizon would not send me a phone. They said since it was assurion that issues the phone that I would have to contact them again. I am in the same boat as well I dont want to burn my 1 upgrade for 2 years because there really isnt a phone out there that has everything I need. If I didn't drop my phone in the water I would have my Droid X still :). Man I loved that phone I had something like 300+ hours of up time at one point.

I am curious are you dealing with Verizon or assurion as far as getting replacements?? The verizon guys pawned me off to Assurion :(

rustymcbain

Reaction score
I found a fix. It involves a weed wacker, a donkey and duct tape.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

Ok I get the donkey and duct tape but not the weed wackier. Unless you have a zombie outbreak in your area. ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

densetsu86

Reaction score
I thinking its software being with froyo and dual core. People says its optimized but not fully and that is what i believe is causing the phone to crash. But then again my last 3 phones razr 2 (black extra thin shiny one), env touch and now my droid x2 all have random reboots although its been a while since my last random reboot but i bsically gone numb to it but i never had to do a battery pull for it to come back on. I just hit the power button and it loads up. Now i am rooted and yes it still happens but with v6 supercharger running it loads up extremely fast so i completely stopped caring cause its only a minute or less for it to turn back on.

Also v6 will help with the low ram. I always had low ram (get seepu to see how much ram and cpu usage are being used) and after i did it i have 50-75% free all the time now. And plus it reboots faster if it does shut down randomly with v6. So yes its something for the time being you'll have to deal with and hopefully ginger bread if not icecream will fix this issues since those to are optimized properly for dual core. But i suspect it will still be there cause i noticed that when it does shut down its from either being too hot (to long of high cpu usage or being in your pocket out in sun) or getting bashed around to much from being in your pocket from walking too much, or too fast causes the shut downs i think its a safety protocol but also a glitch with dual core and froyo may be a reason too.

OP
K

killianss

Reaction score
Now that I actually think about it this has happened to me a few times. All of which I blamed on heavy load as each time it happened I was listening to music, browsing the internets and playing angry birds of project inf. Maybe that wasn't the issue. Anyways, hopefully its right around the corner as another member posted a possible test of the update a few days ago.

Edit: and by 'it' I mean gb. Im sleep deprived. :/

See mine does it exclusively when the phone is just chilling. Sometimes I pulled it out of my pocket and it was dead. Other times Ive left it on a shelf and it was dead. Always gotta battery pull. I hope its a froyo issue!

densetsu86

Reaction score
This may sound wrong but meh, when its in your pocket it what are you doing? Sometimes during the summer its a heat issue and the phone gets baked and powers itself off. Other times its from walking or running to fast and it shuts down to protect itself. I assume its for protecting itself as that would make sense but you never know. I know the walking to fast or constantly or running with it in your pocket cause issues because im almost always have the music player on and it skips a lot when it becomes to excessive. Also could be a soft ware glitch or an actual problem with your phone. My only random restart when im running, walking too fast and constant(trying to catch a bus) and when the cpu is working to hard for to long. Get seepu it helps you know just how much your cpu is working and i have to tell just flipping the home screens to many times cause it to work hard. So thats one reason why i doubt that theres much optimization with dual core and and froyo.

Well also just try turning in your phone for a replacement and see how often that one reboots itself. Cause i got to say the random reboots never required me to remove the battery. I just needed to turn it back on. So there might be an actual issues with your phone then the glitch.

Reaction score
What would walking or running have to do with anything? And how would the phone tell? And what would it be protecting itself from? If your phone is shutting down when you run or walk I assume it is because you have it jammed into a pant pocket and the device is being flexed by your body. In other words you are bending your phone out of shape. And damaging your phone. Buy a belt pouch or a holster for it. You are ruining your phone. You will crack the screen one day.

OP
K

killianss

Reaction score
What would walking or running have to do with anything? And how would the phone tell? And what would it be protecting itself from? If your phone is shutting down when you run or walk I assume it is because you have it jammed into a pant pocket and the device is being flexed by your body. In other words you are bending your phone out of shape. And damaging your phone. Buy a belt pouch or a holster for it. You are ruining your phone. You will crack the screen one day.

Well I dont run too much lol and its been in my pocket while driving you know? But for example today it was on at 8:15am and then I left it on my desk at work and came back to it at about 9:15 and it was off and had to do a battery pull.

densetsu86

Reaction score
When you hold it in is it not turning on? Cause all my randpm does not require a battery pull which is making me think there is something generally wrong besides shutting down which you should get another dx2.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
My X2 started doing this two weeks ago. I went nuts with apps and a few 'Lookout' for example wouldn't uninstall.

Did a factory reset and no shut offs in the two weeks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

rinzes

Reaction score
I powered mine off and it would not power back on without pulling the battery

OP
K

killianss

Reaction score
Well today was the last straw lol. I use the phone as an alarm. It was plugged in and charging last night. This morning I got up and looked and my phone did the same thing. It was off, when I call it it just rings(you cant hear it). And the display wouldnt come back so once again i had to do a battery pull to get it back on. I called asurion and they are sending me another phone. I hope when I get the new one(tuesday) it stays on for days! LOL