Droid X vs Droid 2

nacho220

Reaction score
I know this might be a premature topic, but it seems as if we all know about the Droid 2 because of the rumors.... as if the phone was already out! I mentioned in a few of my other posts that I am leaning towards exchanging the Droid X for the Droid 2 when it comes out. So far overall I prefer the Motorola Droid over the Droid X for a few different reasons. I will be putting together a list of pros and cons from my experience with the Droid X soon. But my question to pose here is what do people think of the Droid X over the Droid 2 or the other way around.

I said I liked the Motorola Droid and essentially from what I hear the Droid 2 is going to be the same thing, but with the specs of the Droid X (to a point I know, it doesn't have the larger screen etc..) But my main issue with the Motorola Droid was the lack of storage space. Since the Droid 2 is going to have same storage as Droid X I am interested in it. It's going to have the same processor as the Droid X, thus more interest. Of course I'd have to give up a few things...I understand. I also are more interested in a physical keyboard/slide-out rather than virtual. That I guess would pretty much seal the deal. I would like to hear what other thoughts are about going from one to another or why to stay where I am at. I saw somewhere someone said that if you get a Droid 2 you are throwing your money away. I responded to ask why but hadn't heard back from the poster. So maybe someone can bring that to light for me and others here.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JCo352

Reaction score
Honestly I would rather have the X. Everything is the same except the X has HDMI out and a bigger screen. The pathetic keyboard on the Droid would definitely not be enough of a factor to make me take the X back if I were you.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Its up to how you use it. I personally dont' like real keyboards. I love using the swype keyboard I wanted the bigger screen and better camera.

Garandhero

Reaction score
I think the Droid X will be comparable to Droid 2 just a matter of taste..... I got the droid X and love it, and my friend has the original droid and he loves his, you can't go wrong.

guardianali

Reaction score
Honestly I would rather have the X. Everything is the same except the X has HDMI out and a bigger screen. The pathetic keyboard on the Droid would definitely not be enough of a factor to make me take the X back if I were you.

Motorola makes horrible slide out keyboards. They are not raised keys and are flush and each key connects to the next..theres no space. If you look at ones made by samsung or others, they are much better.

I have the original droid and i hate the keyboard. i get worse typos on it then i do the onscreen keyboard. If they were 'chicklet' keys, as they are called, would be so much better but moto doesnt do 'chicklet's .

Add to the fact the X has a bigger screen making the onscreen keyboard a dream to use finally, and it kinda sinches it. Not to mention X being thinner too.

JCo352

Reaction score

Motorola makes horrible slide out keyboards. They are not raised keys and are flush and each key connects to the next..theres no space. If you look at ones made by samsung or others, they are much better.

I have the original droid and i hate the keyboard. i get worse typos on it then i do the onscreen keyboard. If they were 'chicklet' keys, as they are called, would be so much better but moto doesnt do 'chicklet's .

Add to the fact the X has a bigger screen making the onscreen keyboard a dream to use finally, and it kinda sinches it. Not to mention X being thinner too.

Oh, believe me I know about good keyboards. I used to have a G1, which IMO is the king of physical keyboards, and is why I opted for the Droid in the first place. Now I don't even use the physical one, just the virtual one. I will be getting the X soon, I just wanted to wait and see what everyone says about it, and so far I think I am sold. The only drawback I see is that it's not very loud, which I will just have to test for myself.

arabstar1982

Reaction score
guardianali;651827Motorola makes horrible slide out keyboards. They are not raised keys and are flush and each key connects to the next..theres no space. If you look at ones made by samsung or others said:
The motorola Devour's keyboard had small spaces between the keys and actually wasn't too bad of a keyboard, but of course, that device no where near compares to the droid x!

Definitely a personal opinion on what phone you are going to like. My brother in law has the Droid Incredible, and he looked at my Droid X and said that he thought his Incredible was a better phone.... and it might be.... FOR HIM. personally, I like the Droid X over the Incredible, and I wouldn't buy an original Droid because I didn't like the keyboard nor the ugly gold/brass button on it... to me that made it look cheap and chintzy... again, personal opinion.

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the discussion. I kind of feel a bit of what Garandhero was saying

"I think the Droid X will be comparable to Droid 2 just a matter of taste..... I got the droid X and love it, and my friend has the original droid and he loves his, you can't go wrong."

I'm liking the X more and more. I'm trying to weed on the cons on my pros and cons list I am putting together. By weed out I mean see if there are easy fixes for them, or things I can just deal with. If that makes any sense, ha! I guess an example might be is really really working out with the virtual keyboard, give it a good run. I got that new virtual keyboard app but yet to try it out.

I guess more or less I am wondering why someone might say that you are "throwing your money away if you get a Droid 2". I understand that it is someones opinion, but it seems like there might be a good case made for "throwing your money away". So those are the comments I'm trying to gather on why. I guess I already figured out the first reason myself, you surely would be downgrading on some main features (camera, screen size). But are there other smaller details that make jumping to that phone, "throwing away your money". Thanks for any further comments or discussion.

fishstick600

Reaction score
the droid 2 will have a 750 mhz processor while the X has a 1gb.. its basically what it says moto droid 2.. the X is far better as far as i can see from the specs

OP
nacho220

nacho220

Reaction score
The Droid X is starting to grow on me a lot, I'd like to report. fishstick600 said that the Droid 2 won't have as good a processor. I heard it was same as Droid X, but I guess maybe not. If that is the case sounds like it really is a step down from something like the Droid X and I very well may just stick with this. I really think, among other things, that the screen size is really selling me on the Droid X. I really can't imagine going back down to a smaller screen, ha!

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm sure I'll still go in on whatever day the Droid 2 launches to check it out for S&G.

blkackteg

Reaction score
ONLY thing I used the hard keyboard on the D1 for was gaming w/ game gripper. Which is nice, but not worth the phone bulk given my gaming usage.

That said, my X is on its way and I'll be eager to see if I can play games via wiimote with the phone connected to tv through hdmi. Anyone known if this is possible?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
the droid 2 will have a 750 mhz processor while the X has a 1gb

The D2 also ships (rumored) with an 8Gb SD card as opposed to the DX's 16Gb My Original Droid will hold me over untill an LTE Device is released

MoDroPro