Droid X sync with Outlook

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hookbill is right. i just prefer outlook, probably cause its always what i have done. the gmail thing is nice though. im just not willing to give up outlook just yet.

the companionlink/dejaoffice program works very well so far. took a bit to get it setup.

Are you using the Droid X? What version of OS on your PC? What version of Outlook on your PC?

Yes droid x, vista on my laptop, outlook 2003

grundei

Reaction score
If you sync with Google contacts how do you deal with the garbage contacts that GMAIL adds? I do not want everyone who has ever sent me an email or been copied on one added as a contact on Outlook. Help!

cindiesue

Reaction score
Well, Hook! That little instruction that was so simple is to make cvs file of emails and contacts. It is not for calendar. I think. I am still trying to figure out how to sync my calendar.

stryguy

Reaction score
#1) Yes it's a google phone and I'm not surprised it ties into google. That doesn't mean it shouldn't also tie in with the #1 desktop email client in the United States. Email client popularity - Email Stats & Reports - Email Clients - Campaign Monitor

#2) A one time conversion using CSV files is not Syncing by a long shot. It's a conversion.

#3) The phone might be a neat toy to some of you but it's a tool to make a living for some of us. When the tool makes you jump through too many hoops or appears unreliable you aren't going to care that it's plays those h.264 videos TV episodes you snagged off the torrent. You're going to find something that will allow you to still make a living.

#3) Companion Link to Google fixed my issues for Notes, Calendars, and Contacts. So far so good. Using a 3rd party product to jump through hoops isn't fun. I'm dumb for keeping this phone. I just like it too damn much.

Blowzo

Reaction score
<-- Iphone user leaving ATT to come to Verizon. The iphone has awesome SYNC for calenders, and contacts.

I have been reading this thread, and a little (a lot) disappointing that there is not SYNC with outlook, that is so ridiculous. So all the things that Verizon, and DROID claim they have an advantage over is instantly lost. As another user mentioned I will be using the phone for business, and I also use my outlook (non exchange) for work. POP account.

So to my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong) I will start a POP account on my phone, and I will get my emails on my phone. Next time I get on my PC i will get all the same emails again. (im ok with this part)

I will however not be able to sync my calendars, and contacts without using a 3rd party sync tool. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I can not believe the software that comes with the phone does not link to the most widely used mail program in the world (stated before by another user).

I seem to have a heard a few solutions
Google calander Sync = =http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=89955
GSyncit = http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/gsync/
Oggsync = OggSync - Sync Google Calendar and Contacts with Outlook and Windows Mobile Device Sync (including Microsoft Office)
companionlink = Sync Android, iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Palm Pre, Windows Mobile and more with Outlook, Lotus Notes, ACT!, Palm Desktop and Google | CompanionLink Software

These all seem to be 1995 solutions to a 2010 problem. Motorola has not addressed this anywhere? I can not believe there is not an open sourced app for this.

SO many different options... HELP ME MOTO... GooGle ...dude!!!

HolstonRiverVOL

Reaction score
My law office runs Amicus Attorney

Amicus Attorney only syncs calendar with Outlook ... was effortlessly with BB.
What do I need to do to get my office calendar on my Droid X ... so that when I am not in office I can see my schedule and make additions, deletions, etc ... and then when I get back to my desktop PC have updated sync of any changes across my firm's network
What app do I need????

rcramirez

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I did the Outlook calendar sync with Gmail, but it is a one-time thing, not an ongoing synch. How to keep it up?

I tried Google Calendar synch on my PC, but can't get it to work with Windows 7, even in XP compatibility mode. Is there something else I should be using?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
I tried a couple of 3rd party apps. They were either expensive, stored the data on the sd card, or I didnt like the UI. So I migrated my calendar and contact data to google, still havent decided what to do with my Outlook memos and tasks. Id rather have my personal data on my pc, than stored on google.

On my previous BlackBerry and Palm's, the calendar synced with Outlook on my phone, and tasks showed up on the calendar.

I can live with this, but am surprised with the crappy PIM apps on the phone/google. I use my phone primarily as a pda (that just happens to do a lot of other stuff).

BMWBig6

Reaction score
I can even determine which folders are synced to my device and for what period of time.

Please indulge my ignorance, how does one control which folders are sync'd and what do you mean about period of time (do you mean the sleep/wake battery programs)? Or settings available from the Google Apps control panel (dashboard?)?

questech

Reaction score
Hello All I am using a Blackberry Storm, and I really hate it. I'm on my 3rd new one... it just keeps self destructing, and I keep my stuff in brand new condition so it's not my doing. I would love to get the Droid X, but I don't use Google to host my personal and business data. I need to synch direct to my PC, and even though Google and Microsoft are competitors, the best way to one-up your competitor is to make their clients, your clients... So I too am dismayed that this isn't a basic function
Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
First of all, you can only dump some of your outlook data to google. For example, you cant export your memo's to google. This phone should sync with outlook. My old Palms and BB's sync'd to Outlook, and they were not Microsoft phones.

I tried a couple of 3rd party apps that didnt work well for me. So I migrated my data from outlook to google, but would rather use outlook on my pc if I had the choice. The google tasks and calendar apps are not nearly as good or easy to use as Outlook on the pc.

And finally, some of us would rather not keep all of our personal data on the internet.

Bunyan

Reaction score
I'm also a bit confused regarding the whole syncing process after coming from an Iphone.
I must have some sort of issue with my Outlook. When I try to convert the contacts to a .csv file Outlook has some sort of bug because it won't let me save it under the "Save exported file as:" tab. The "Next>" tab is not highlighted and I'm not able to save the file.
Anybody else have this issue? I just don't want to have to manually type in all my contacts.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I need separate gmail and outlook exchange accounts, and I only need to receive and send email from outlook. I was able to set up outlook from my email universal inbox, being careful to get the pop and server numbers correctly from my job IT support.

I get all outgoing job messages into my droid x inbox; but my outgoing job mail from my droid goes somehow through gmail but with a job email address, and says "sent from my droid." The only problem is that it doesn't automatically show up on my home or job computer, so I've ended up blind cc'ing to my job address, where it appears in my inbox, and then I drag it to sent items. It is also necessary to do some gmail settings in order to do all of this, one of which is to prevent these sent droid job messages from appearing visibly in my gmail account.

My wife, who also recently got a droid x also, has set up the same separate account from gmail in the universal inbox, on verizon.net, and also can send and receive emails to the droid from verizon.net; but the sent emails likewise do not appear in her verizon.net account sent files on her computer, although she may be able to play with settings there, I haven't tried it with her yet.

questech

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

If you use Outlook to help manage our business, the Droid is not the tool for you right now.

All of these 3rd party apps that don't work, the exporting of files... That isn't a good solution to what should be a simple process!

It's a perfect political game; THEY get US to debate about THEIR problem, while They just wait for us to give up.

I hate my Blackberry Storm because it reboots itself and is hard to type on, but it syncs perfectly (as does my Palm).

But I'm not going to trade my Phone problem for a more disastrous Outlook problem.

These phones are geared to the kids markets with tons of apps that are useless to a business person. The manufacturers are showing a total disregard for the guys and gals that make America work... American Businesses.

Face it, without the adult business community, the kids wouldn't have the money to buy these toys to begin with.

Let's get the respect we deserve!

The only power that we have is to speak out as a community.

Do the manufactures and developers listen in on these forums?

How can we get their attention?

How can we send a clear message that we want: a Simple, All Inclusive, Built-in Sync to Outlook (calendar, contacts, tasks with categories) functionality?

Let's do something... Your suggestions are welcome!

Last edited: