Droid X sync with Outlook

Offroad911

Reaction score
I LOVE the Droid X, however I took it back in 48 hours! A basic with most smart phones is the ability to sync phone and PC and that is not possible with the Droid X unless the user is an enterprise user. Peer to peer PC to phone 2 way sync is not a part of the Android package. Sure, one can use the gmail contact or use the google calendar sync, but the ability to sync on one’s own PC is not available. 3rd party conduits like CompanionLink, Touchdown or MyLink are either not suitable for peer to peer or they are very problematic in that they just don’t work. I spent 36 hours trying and I could not make anything (incl CompanionLink) work for syncing my Outlook and DroidX. I simply cannot believe or for that matter understand how a smart phone provider like Motorola would leave a sync conduit out of their offering. HTC tried to make such an attempt in the Incredible with their HTC Sync but it does not work well. My BB Storm has the ability to sync with Desktop Manager. My Kyocera had it, Palm has it, hell ever the I-Phone has it in I-Tunes. Come On Google, give Android the ability to sync Outlook without going to a 3rd party. There are many thousands of users who will be very disappointed (like me) once they find out that Android won’t sync with their laptop or their PC.

stryguy

Reaction score
I hear you..

Coming over from the Iphone this completely blew my mind. I'm completely in love with this phone but I have to be honest and say that this is giving me second thoughts.

Luckily Google Apps Premier is actually cheaper then rackspace which is where I'm currently hosting my email + domain name. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Had I known this before I bought the phone and fell in love with it I would have never bought it.

jtdiddy

Reaction score
i agree. being a BB user, it's hard to give up the dedicated desktop client sync since it is so easy and problem free to use.

my work around is to use gsync to sync my outlook and google accounts (e.g. all calender, contacts etc...) then sync my google account with my phone wirelessly. It works and having the ability to sync my phone OTA is pretty neat actually.

I know this is important but shouldn't be a deal-breaker in choosing the X imo

BigHG

Reaction score
Yup, another BB user fighting the sync fight. I thought I had it yesterday when I downloaded Companionlink.

My problem was getting Windows 7 to see the phone. The drivers took care of that. Companionlink sync'ed perfectly. Tasks, Notes , Calender and Contacts (with categories), all good.

Today I have tried to sync again. Windows doesn't see it even after reinstalling the drivers. Its frustrating to know that it can work, but just not easily like on my BB.

frankmcl

Reaction score
CompanionLink works for me

I LOVE the Droid X, however I took it back in 48 hours! A basic with most smart phones is the ability to sync phone and PC and that is not possible with the Droid X unless the user is an enterprise user. Peer to peer PC to phone 2 way sync is not a part of the Android package. Sure, one can use the gmail contact or use the google calendar sync, but the ability to sync on one’s own PC is not available. 3rd party conduits like CompanionLink, Touchdown or MyLink are either not suitable for peer to peer or they are very problematic in that they just don’t work. I spent 36 hours trying and I could not make anything (incl CompanionLink) work for syncing my Outlook and DroidX. I simply cannot believe or for that matter understand how a smart phone provider like Motorola would leave a sync conduit out of their offering. HTC tried to make such an attempt in the Incredible with their HTC Sync but it does not work well. My BB Storm has the ability to sync with Desktop Manager. My Kyocera had it, Palm has it, hell ever the I-Phone has it in I-Tunes. Come On Google, give Android the ability to sync Outlook without going to a 3rd party. There are many thousands of users who will be very disappointed (like me) once they find out that Android won’t sync with their laptop or their PC.

I signed up for "Premium support". Tech called witHin an hour...first loaded DejaOffice THEN Companion Link FOR GOOGLE!

Zan1

Reaction score
I am sorry to be so slow but where is Deja Office. Any help would be appreciated.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.

Immolate

Reaction score
Hookbill... I understand what you're saying, but I think it's short-sighted to tell people that will use GMail and they'll like it: my way or the highway. That's an invitation back to the highway IMO. Better to acknowledge that it is a problem and either help find a solution, or be on the lookout for one. If a few people in this little corner of the Android universe are talking about it, there must be countless people wondering about it.

I do think your post was helpful in that it offered alternatives... just the tone was a bit dismissive.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hookbill... I understand what you're saying, but I think it's short-sighted to tell people that will use GMail and they'll like it: my way or the highway. That's an invitation back to the highway IMO. Better to acknowledge that it is a problem and either help find a solution, or be on the lookout for one. If a few people in this little corner of the Android universe are talking about it, there must be countless people wondering about it.

I do think your post was helpful in that it offered alternatives... just the tone was a bit dismissive.

I don't think that was the point of it at all. And quite honestly to say I was dismissive is insulting when all I was trying to do was to help.

I see a lot of people come in and out of these forums who have absolutely no idea about how to transfer their files over to gmail. I see many people who do not realize this is a google phone.

I can't acknowledge a problem where really none exist. The problem IMHO is that people don't want to let go of outlook for whatever reason so they "battle" the make up and build of the phone. It can still be worked out, but the easiest way to do it is to run things off of gmail.

Now if you choose to spend 40.00 on a program that will help sync these items for you I say go for it. It's your money, I have no right to tell you how to spend it.

I'm willing to bet that out of the posters I saw talking about this at least a couple of them did not know they could transfer their files to Google using csv files. There are no instruction books that come with these phones.

My job is to try to help others in the forum. i'll continue to do that. You can think what you want about the way I do it, that's up to you. I don't go to sleep at night not feeling like I've helped somebody somehow during the day.

frankmcl

Reaction score
Great news

Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.
If other folks try this and it works, report back and let us know!

plumcrazy

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hookbill is right. i just prefer outlook, probably cause its always what i have done. the gmail thing is nice though. im just not willing to give up outlook just yet.

the companionlink/dejaoffice program works very well so far. took a bit to get it setup.

DruidX

Reaction score
OK, I just read Hook's post, but I want to know if the X can sync with a network version of Outlook? My company runs Outlook 2007, and I currently use my HTC Touch, and it syncs seamlessly with Outlook (yes, HTC Touch uses WinMo)- I like this and really would rather NOT have to sync through a third party (such as gmail).

Does anyone know if there will be a download fix available for this?