Droid X sync with Outlook

questech

Reaction score
All we want to do is hook a USB cable between our Droid and a PC and sync our calendar and contacts, tasks, and some of us want to sync the e-mail as well.

We don't want to have to use an enterprise system or exchange server either, just a plain old PC with Outlook and a USB cable connected to the Droid.

I agree with questech. 6 months with this phone and I still have not found an easy way to do this. I know there are several apps that attempt to do this, but none have worked for me for various reasons. I have moved all of my PIM data to google, but would rather use and sync to Outlook.

Ditto - The apps out there now are substandard and don't work reliably!

jgeidl

Reaction score
Kidding??

Hookbill,

You are suggesting the one would open Outlook, go into File and Export, export the contacts to some known place on your PC into some file you specifiy then go to Google open your account import the .csv file then go to your Driod phone and import the contacts from Google and that is supposed to be an acceptable solution ot just hitting a button on your desktop to sync with a phone.

You are kidding aren't you?

Jim

Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.

tracylfarr

Reaction score
It is easy to sync outlook to gmail, then gmail automatically syncs to your phone...very easy....Now what if I put stuff on my cell, will it erase when I sync outlook to gmail calendar?

jimbeard

Reaction score
Have you tried CompanionLink? It seems to reliably sync with Google contacts and calendar. It also syncs by USB with Outlook, but I don't recommend doing both: you'll get "phone" and "Google" versions of all your contacts if you do both. I chose to sync Outlook with online Google, while Google in turn autosyncs with Android. No duplicates, it seems.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

Notoriousdad

Reaction score
Found a Free Solution to Sync Droid X to Outlook

MyPhoneExplorer is a free app that works like a champ for syncing outlook 2007 and Droid X phones. It can be downloaded from the developer at http://www.fjsoft.at/. I just set it up for my wife Droid X and everything worked perfectly. It's a little confusing as there is not much in the way of instructions. Essentially -

1) Install the MotoHelper application from Motorola so that your phone will connect to your PC (it also enables charging via PC).
2) Download and install MyPhoneExplorer.
3) Open MyPhoneExplorer and go to Settings. In Settings, choose the type of phone you have and set your connection preferences (e.g. USB, Wi-fi)
4) change any other settings to meet your preferences.
5) Under Settings>Sync I changed contacts and calendar to Outlook 2007
6) Under Setting>Multi-sync you can choose to initiate multisync in a variety of ways (I left them all blank).

To initiate Sync, choose Extras>Start Multi-sync and click a couple boxes confirming the actions.

I hope this helps. It's at least as convenient as other Motorola sync applications.

tthomson44

Reaction score
I should not have to add programs to the phone to have it sync with Outlook. I am going to try the Iphone when it comes out.

bikerman1972

Reaction score
I should not have to add programs to the phone to have it sync with Outlook. I am going to try the Iphone when it comes out.

You will be in the same position with iphone. If you don't want to add programs go to a blackberry

Charles Bronson

Reaction score
All we want to do is hook a USB cable between our Droid and a PC and sync our calendar and contacts, tasks, and some of us want to sync the e-mail as well.

We don't want to have to use an enterprise system or exchange server either, just a plain old PC with Outlook and a USB cable connected to the Droid.
Just received my first smartphone, an HCT Incredible, and have spent the last couple of days reading about it's capabilities.

Are you saying that contacts, tasks, calenders etc in outlook on your desktop or laptop PC can't be sync'd just locally only with these phones? They can't sync local only right out of the box, or one needs to download some sort of companion app to the droid that will hookup with your desktop outlook?

Sorry for the basic question, but this is all new to me and sometimes it seems the more I read the more confused I get. :) I do realize it's a 'google' phone but I figured there would be a way to toggle local only syncing of some sort.

Thanks

Shauram

Reaction score
As a new Droid X owner, I want to thank everyone who weighed in on this issue. I didn't realize the difficulty I would encounter trying to sync my Outlook information with my new phone. I run a small business and I do not use Exchange Server.

I tried to use MyPhoneExplorer and was able to make it sync my calendar and contacts. I did have to play around with the settings on the Desktop client, and it took me several tries, but I finally got the calendar (even repeating events) and contacts synced.

I realize there are limitations with this fix. I haven't spent enough time figuring out the best way to sync my email. (I need to work on this more.) I currently get all my messages on the Droid and in Outlook and if I respond on the Droid, this is not shown in Outlook. However, the volume of messages that I deal with is not large enough for this to be a problem. But the calendar and contact sync has worked well so far.

schneid

Reaction score
I struggled too. Been with my X since 01/05. Tried them all. I have settled on Companion Link. It works and works well after you get Google and Outlook on the same page. It is way too expensive for the masses though.

dcperi

Reaction score
MyPhoneExplorer WORKS!

Thank God! A simple computer application which WORKS to sync Droid X to Outlook 2007!!!

This is the app that should have been shipped on the phone.

Download the computer app from FJ Software Development
Download the phone app from Android Market
Follow a few simple directions in both applications

et voila!

Don't forget to pay for the Freeware. It is SO worth it!

Thank you, Franz Josef Wechselberger! You're a genius!

schneid

Reaction score
My Phone Explorer just didn't work for me. I want my phone and Outlook to sync without any action required on my part. Companion Link is the only app I found that does that. It is free for 14 days. That allowed them sink the hook so deep I had to cough up the 40 bucks. Seriously though, I installed it a month ago and have since forgotten about it. I do nothing but am always synced.

If you don't mind manually connecting to sync, My Explorer does work well. I continued to use it to do WiFi file transfers until I discovered SAMBA File sharing.

wmscottmc

Reaction score
Thank God! A simple computer application which WORKS to sync Droid X to Outlook 2007!!!

This is the app that should have been shipped on the phone.

Download the computer app from FJ Software Development
Download the phone app from Android Market
Follow a few simple directions in both applications

et voila!

Don't forget to pay for the Freeware. It is SO worth it!

Thank you, Franz Josef Wechselberger! You're a genius!

I have installed the pc app, but it isnt finding the outlook folders. Ive changed the MPE option to use Outlook 2007, but dont see a way to browse to my outlook folder location. Do you know where this setting is? Or will I need to sync the phone to the MPE database, and then a 2nd step to sync to Outlook on the pc?

Thanks

dcperi

Reaction score
File>Settings>Sync>Advanced

I have installed the pc app, but it isnt finding the outlook folders. Ive changed the MPE option to use Outlook 2007, but dont see a way to browse to my outlook folder location. Do you know where this setting is? Or will I need to sync the phone to the MPE database, and then a 2nd step to sync to Outlook on the pc?

Thanks

Bayou Broker

Reaction score
i was a BB user and transitioned 6 months ago. i'm still feeling the pain and praying that google will stop torturing us and provide a conduit for MSOutlook. I cant convert my 2100+ contacts to google and leave them in the sky. I am using the .csv file to sync but it is painful. Clearly a step back in time....kind of like Fortran progamming.
Oh and did I mention how it duplicates contacts when I sync after I have modified a contacts information? therefore you have to delete all contacts on your X before you resync. Oh did I mention that Google doesn't provide a means to delete all contacts? So I get a 3rd party "Contract Remover" which takes more than 10 minutes to delete 2100 contacts. then I export my Outlook file to a comma separated file and import it to Google. After I delete all of my Google Contacts to prevent duplicates. I'm exhausted thinking of it.....you get the message.
Patiently waiting but getting tired.
Oh and did I mention that the Droid X rules the www? I talk to it and it finds anything i want.
Oh and did I mention that talk to text is the greatest.
Thanks for all the help my Android Friends.....we are in this together.

Last edited: