Droid X sd card unmounting explained

dgerej

Reaction score
Here is some information I recently learned about sd card access. I was under the impression my dx was not functioning properly while it was hooked up to my laptop. Here's the reason:

According to file management apps like astro or androzip, I noticed the sd card file on my phone was empty while my dx was connected to my laptop. I couldn't figure out what was the source of the problem. I'm working on creating my first nandroid back up file. Being able to understand everything about how a sd card file functions with my phone and computer was my first priority before saving my first nandroid file. I wanted to make sure my sd card was working properly before getting involved with flashing.

I talked to a vzw tech for about 30 minutes today because I thought my phone was defective. Here is some information I hope will be useful:

#1 All android phones have internal memory soldered directly into the motherboard. It is called device memory.

#2 Here are the steps to access available memory:
menu button --> settings --> SD card & phone storage

^I knew this already. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to include.

#3 The total space of memory is a combination of device memory mixed with the sd card memory. (Please correct me if needed) If the sd card is unmounted (electronically disconnected), the available space cannot be determined. The DX needs an external memory card in order to perform certain functions such as taking pictures. I have verified this myself. I'm not sure what other tasks require a mounted sd card.

Also, the total space & available space cannot be viewed while the phone is connected to a computer via usb cable.

A connected usb cable between a computer and a dx will unmount the sdcard.

If the sdcard is unmounted, you will not have access to your sdcard data using the phone. Thats why the sd card file will be empty when checking the file contents. The option to mount or format the sd card will also be unavailable.

I recommend doing the following steps:

Link your dx to your computer via usb cable --> make sure you have a file management app --> open the app --> take a look into your sdcard folder --> The folder should be empty due to the fact that the dx unmounts the sd card.

Going through these steps is a good way to familiarize yourself with how the sd card works. Mounted vs. Unmounted.

#4 The sdcard will always be mounted unless a usb cable is connected between the dx and a computer. Another exception is by manually unmounting the card: menu --> settings --> SD card & phone storage --> unmount SD card

5# SD card access can be obtained from the computer end while you dx is hooked up via usb cable. You must select "Open folders to view files" You will now have access to your SD card files.

example: the dcim folder will contain any stored pics saved onto your SD card.

Please post comments if anyone of you has something to add. Positive or negative comments are fine with me. I'm just starting out.

droidman101

Reaction score
The sdcard issue only happens when its MOUNTED TO THE COMPUTER, not just connected with a wire, you need to MOUNT IT TO YOUR COMPUTER in order for it to not show up

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight...did you have your DX hooked up to your laptop when I was telling you to open Astro last night??

OP
dgerej

dgerej

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight...did you have your DX hooked up to your laptop when I was telling you to open Astro last night??

Yes. I didn't think that would cause problems. I still had access to other files. I realized my error today.