Droid X Melted

kingsway8605

Reaction score
You did it wrong. You should have burned your leg and sued Verizon.

Sent from my Droid Bionic

huskur

Reaction score
The phone has the standard black casing - I'm not sure what material it is but now it's just peeling off. And yes I have insurance but don't want a refurbished phone, especially since I have to pay the deductible!

If you don't want a refurbished phone and you have insurance but don't want to use it, then why even have it?

Natey2

Reaction score
Burnt area looks like the top of the phone, where the camera is. Do you have a flashlight app that may somehow have turned on the flash (LEDs) for a very long time?
When my phone gets hot, it is usually the rear bottom of the phone.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app.

Snow02

Reaction score
Burnt area looks like the top of the phone, where the camera is. Do you have a flashlight app that may somehow have turned on the flash (LEDs) for a very long time?
When my phone gets hot, it is usually the rear bottom of the phone.

Sounds reasonable. The circuit board is in the bottom of the phone. There's nothing else really up there that could produce much heat besides the flash.

Beka27

Reaction score
The phone has the standard black casing - I'm not sure what material it is but now it's just peeling off. And yes I have insurance but don't want a refurbished phone, especially since I have to pay the deductible!

If you don't want a refurbished phone and you have insurance but don't want to use it, then why even have it?

Exactly. This is why you pay a premium for insurance. Assuming you're on a 2-year contract and you got your DX on day one, you still have several months with this phone...

So as I see it, your options are: pay a monthly fee for a melted black paperweight... OR pay a monthly fee + resonable deductible for a functioning phone.

Is this really a question? Even if you found the cheapest DX on Ebay or Craigslist, you're still looking at paying at least $200 for a USED phone.

Natey2

Reaction score
There is a school of thought that suggests that you should only buy insurance on things that you really cannot afford (financially) to replace. For me, that's like a car or a house. I can afford to replace something under $1K, so I didn't buy phone insurance.

Insurance is like $120 per year on this phone, right?

kparks

Reaction score
There is a school of thought that suggests that you should only buy insurance on things that you really cannot afford (financially) to replace. For me, that's like a car or a house. I can afford to replace something under $1K, so I didn't buy phone insurance.

Insurance is like $120 per year on this phone, right?

Yea its 110 or 120then 100 deductible.... I buy insurance on something I expect to break and I drop my phones all the time or I'm driving and put them on my lap then forget there there and jump out my truck all the Time that's y I have it lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score
There's also a school of thought that whenever you have ongoing payments on an item, that you protect it (also like a car or house). Some people drop full coverage once a car is no longer tied to a loan, and many people drop insurance coverage once they have reached their upgrade date. In this day and age, not everyone can afford to immediately replace a $600-700 phone at a moment's notice. Especially young people who may be living from paycheck to paycheck.

Natey2

Reaction score
I've had phones for over a decade, and insurance would have cost me over $2K (2 phones in the household) over the years. That money invested properly over the years can be significant. Insurance companies know that, and they are good at investing their (your?) money ;)
I have never lost or damaged a phone.
Just my $0.02