Droid Bionic Update Has Essentially Bricked My Phone

EliseValente

Reaction score
Short story is this--

A few months ago, Motorola and Verizon rolled out a system update that caused my phone to overheat, and caused the inside to melt some. As the phone still worked, and I couldn't afford a new one, I kept using it. Fast forward to today and the Ice Cream Sandwich update, and--immediately after the update--my phone shoots to over 114 degrees, too hot to even hold to my ear to talk because it BURNED MY SKIN. Opened it up to take a look, and melted insides everywhere, including the battery. Now the phone is either completely bricked or there's too much damage for it to charge--it's been sitting on the charger for about 3 hours now, and I can't get it to turn on. Tweeted Motorola and Motorola Support about it, including a pic of the melted insides--ZERO RESPONSE. I have since emailed them demanding compensation for the destruction of my Bionic due to their defective updates and/or defective handset.

My phone was not rooted. It worked perfectly fine until the excessive heat inducing updates were rolled out. In essence, I will NEVER AGAIN buy a Motorola phone. EVER. I just wanted to post this as a warning to others, because this is completely unacceptable!!!

If you want the entire story, plus get a look at the pics showing the damage, you can find it here.

chickaholic

Reaction score
Hi Elise,
It is the carrier that you have to contact, not the manufacturer. Borrow a phone and call your carrier tech support or take your device to the store and have tech support there look at it (free in both cases). If it was the update or a hardware problem, then they will fix it or credit you in some way. Be firm, factual and fair. You'll get farther if you stay calm but stand firm. Electronics do fail and what's important is that they make yours work again or replace it. It depends on your contract or insurance as to which you are entitled. Best of luck to you!!!