Droid X keyboard/spacebar issues

racerkvn

Reaction score
I had an issue with my keyboard a couple weeks ago and did a factory reset, which seemed to have fixed the problem... until today! The problem is, when using the keyboard (app doesn't matter) if I hit the spacebar it kicks it OUT of the text window, then when I tap the window again it'll open but the cursor will not move while typing and won't show any letters, I can touch the screen, and all the sudden it'll show what I typed, but the cursor will be hung in that position and once again won't move while typing, once the spacebar is hit again, it kicks it back out again. I was going to a do ANOTHER factory reset... but figured I'd hit you guys up to see if this is something other folks are dealing with as well and how they fixed it.

I haven't had ANY trouble with the Droid X till this issue, I've had it since October, it's NOT rooted, and was bought new (not a factory refurb), but man is it aggravating! I don't want to do a factory reset every two weeks...

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks for your time!!

Well apparently, I got in SO much of a hurry to post this question I didn't even post it in the "X" section! LOL Can a moderator please move this? Sorry :icon_eek:

tazboysdad

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. I have found that the Swype keyboard works fine, but I don't care for the Swype. Anyone else having this issue with the Multi-touch keyboard? Has anyone found a way to correct it? I have tried rebooting and battery pull, but REALLY don't want to do a factory reset.

OP
R

racerkvn

Reaction score
I'll post my reply in both threads, since I have jacked up the X2 forum... LOL

I talked to a dude here at work, and he asked if I was using the "Gingerbread Keyboard", of course I said no. So I downloaded it from the market, the free version, and I be doggone, IT WORKS!

My question is, if the factory keyboard has a glitch and they are working on a fix, thats cool, but it seems to me it's an internal software glitch and it would effect any keyboard program you are running. Time will tell I reckon...

OP
R

racerkvn

Reaction score
I went in a cleared the data for the stock keyboard... but I'll keep using the Gingerbread keyboard for now.

brockeverly

Reaction score
Go to the home screen and do this:

Menu, Settings, Applications, All, Multi Touch Keyboard, and clear data :)

OP
R

racerkvn

Reaction score
Thanks! Thats what I did as well as installed a new keyboard and has worked great ever since. Wonder if the "clear data" procedure would just be a good routine to get into, say, once a month or so?? I don't reckon it'd hurt...

Jeepgirl721

Reaction score
keyboard froze

I was looking for this information. I have only had my phone for 1 month and the keyboard froze on the spacebar or went to another screen. I could type with periods after each word. I couldn't see what I was typing either. I did clear data and that worked. it happened when texting and online typing as well. Im thinking this might be a routine thing too. Interested in the gingerbread keyboard. Im all new to the smartphone land. My first one and already having problems. But this did clear it up for now. Thank you.:)

coachbbj

Reaction score
Keyboard problems

I purchased a droid x in April of 2011. Started having the same issue in June after doing a factory reset twice, I requested a new phone. Verizone sent me a Certified Pre-owned phone and within less than a week, I had the same issue! Will try some of the suggestions above! Thanks

ssgulliver

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. I have found that the Swype keyboard works fine, but I don't care for the Swype. Anyone else having this issue with the Multi-touch keyboard? Has anyone found a way to correct it? I have tried rebooting and battery pull, but REALLY don't want to do a factory reset.

Exact same problem, tried multiple keyboards. I stopped typing spaces, then the problem became freezes with "!!!" or "...". Also, I'm receiving duplicate text messages (as many as 7 duplicates) and it's showing up as getting billed for them on Verizon's site... NOT COOL.

coachbbj

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with recieving duplicate messages! I just performed another factory reset, but not happy about having to keep reseting my phone every week or so!

Anozira

Reaction score
Thank you VERY much. I had given up looking for a fix about two weeks ago.

A friend showed me this place a long time ago, and im glad I remembered the name of the site.

hmbprincess

Reaction score
spacebar/keyboard issues

thank you for showing this tip to fix this problem.

i had thought it was due to me downloading handcent about a month ago as right after that I had a system upgrade and then everything went down the drain.

had to do factory resets 3 times, had a factory refurb phone come, that was broken, and then re did my current phone back to what I had.

all was good for a week and then the spacebar would kick me out of the message box.

now I know how to temp fix it if this happens again!!

thank you thank you :)