Droid X gurus - what are the "must do/have" things?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rumblur, Jul 27, 2011.

1. brad92

brad92 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You can try SSX and Liquid. They are based off CM7 with tweaks.

GB leak based ROMs are slower and annoying to me. I flashed back today and immediately came back to CM7.

CM74DX

2. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The wifi hack thing - I need it for work, most of my business is PC repair and when I'm onsite I sometimes need a hotspot to test with. I dont plan on moving a lot of data. PagePlus is coming out with a large data program soon anyway. So, if you have any input on the wifi hack, I'm all ears!

The CM7 is well done, havent had a crash yet and it has LOTS of controls and usability. Where can I see screen caps or feature comparisons between the ROMS?

Here's something that's going to shock you guys though - I think the Omnia / WinMo as I had it set up, was a better package than the Droid. The Droid offers more horsepower and graphics capability, but the WinMo apps are a ton better than the Droid offerings.... most notably, the photo editor (I was using Resco Photo Manager) and media player (I was using Core Player). The editor and players I've found for droid so far, are weak on tools and features.

I will start a seperate thread on "what the droid needs to not suck so much" or something.

3. jfriend33

jfriend33 Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Wifi tether is here:

code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list

Choose the top one, beta 2. After installing accept root permissions, go to settings, change device profile to droid x cdma, and enable wifi encryption. Then hit back, and press the huge button to start and have your computer scan for networks.

For comparisons of roms, I like youtube sometimes, or here in the forums under roms then a specific one you might see a screen cap.

Photo editing:

I prefer photofunia (neat photoshop effects), or picsay or picplz. Some of those even have dropbox support.

What types of editing were you wanting specifically?

The camera on cm7 is not as great as the stock one. In my opinion pictures end up less clear and sometimes have a blue tint. I will research to see if the original camera can be installed. The gallery in cm7 I believe is from samsung but its much better than motorolas.

Media player:

Pretty controversial issue with android. Lots of people aren't satisfied with stock media players period and constantly degrade the device when comparing to an iphone. Not sure what exactly you like in a media player. If you want your music sync'ed between your computer and phone and don't want to pay, I highly reccomed winamp. Pretty basic player but the sync works flawlessly but only over wifi (laptop must be on same network).

If you want your music synced away from your computer, most will tell you to use double twist and pay 5 bucks for the air sync app (let's you sync over wifi and 3g). I tried double twist and was not that impressed. I actually like the amazon mp3 player. Your music is stored in the cloud which can be downloaded to your device or just played over the air. 5 gigs free storage, but when I bought an album for 99 cents I was given 15 free addtl gigs.

As far as a well rounded media player, I always liked the Motorola Connected Music player. Decent widget for homescreen and has youtube, shoutcast streaming radio, and lyrics built in.

You can find the link to download here : forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1163752

Aww come on man don't be mean! You're coming from a pretty old device and just gotta stay calm and get adjusted! Some things you mention I can appreciate, as my first smartphone was a motorola q9c running winmo 6.1. This is a big change and its going to take some time...

Go download NESoid or NSESoid and some roms and play mario kart on your phone! (Or n64oid which I hear isn't too shabby!)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

#15 jfriend33, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. Rumblur

Rumblur Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks for the tether app, seems none of them work very well, do they? all are tricky.

As far as photo viewing / editting, I really liked Resco Photo Manager. It offers picture gallery, viewing and slider based editting for contrast, color, brightness, cropping etc. It's really the best "pocket" editor I ever found, even if it still could be improved upon.

I've tried several picture apps from the market, but the gallery that comes with CM7 is the best of them all. I will try the one you mention.

The media player I really liked was CorePlayer - that thing is great! Video color adjustments as well as a 10 band EQ for audio. Now if only they would port it to Droid :(

5. jfriend33

jfriend33 Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I don't have any issues with the wifi tether app. Sometimes it can be buggy with my netbook but a restart on both devices always fixes the problem. What exactly was it doing?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

6. JustisLewis

JustisLewis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend trying Poweramp; it has a great equalizer, though it won't help with your desire to adjust video.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Search tags for this page

things you can do with droid x

what all can you do with a droid x