Droid X Gingerbread Update Problems

KARTman

Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my Droid X. I updated my phone ot 4.5? of something and now it restarts with a different looking GUI then before(black bar on top) and trys to startup up my safe cell app(like it did before the upgrade), but then gets stuck on a screen that says either Launch GPS settings or Force Close, Wait or Report. I can not hit the buttons to go forward, it just locks up. I have removed the battery(and SD Card) a few times to restart with the same result. I am sometimes able to hit the Force Close button, but then the whole screen just goes black with the menu bar still showing on top. I am able to power the screen on and off, but that is it. Any ideas on how to go back to a pre-update state or get around this?

ARod74

Reaction score
notification sounds gone

I also did the update yesterday and I've had nothing but problems. My phone freezes up, I've done numerous battery pulls, when opening up apps I get a message asking if I want to forceclose or wait, I have no notification sounds anymore, I can't answer my phone calls, my phone feels like it's overheating and now it's shutting off.

What is going on!?!??!?!? I wonder if I go to the Verizon store they'll be able to help me since it's obviously not a Verizon issue... ugh frustrating!!!

doddpower

Reaction score
I also did the update yesterday and I've had nothing but problems. My phone freezes up, I've done numerous battery pulls, when opening up apps I get a message asking if I want to forceclose or wait, I have no notification sounds anymore, I can't answer my phone calls, my phone feels like it's overheating and now it's shutting off.

What is going on!?!??!?!? I wonder if I go to the Verizon store they'll be able to help me since it's obviously not a Verizon issue... ugh frustrating!!!

Arod and Kart, do the factory reset my holding down the power and home buttons as the phone is booting up after removing the battery. Use the volume keys to scroll to factory reset and use the power key to select. When I did this, my phone ended up with the update installed and functioning correctly. Besides losing my time and reinstalling my apps, I lost nothing. I would definitely recommend trying this as it worked for me.

KARTman

Reaction score
A Verizon tech just helped me do the factory reset. The Droid X seems to be working now. I just have to reload my apps and settings.

BossBigRob3

Reaction score
I had a problem similar to these and it was simple as going into manage apps-all-media storage-clear data and cache. I didn't lose anything and phone works perfect now.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

KARTman

Reaction score
Good for you BigBossRob3. I could not even get into any of the apps to be able to change anything around.

ARod74

Reaction score
Thanks doddpower. I called Verizon and they walked me through the factory reset and all seems to be working now. Unfortunately now it's a matter of downloading all the apps I've lost. I was doing so good on all 3 Angry Birds games too, LOL!!:icon_ banana:

wardance1

Reaction score
I took the SD card out, copies my photos to my computer and formatted the SD card. now seems to work fine.

tjplace

Reaction score
i now own a BRICK

How do I reload apps without paying for them again if I do factory reset?

droidjimdroid

Reaction score
I did the factory Gingerbread update this weekend and I lost my phone contacts. For some reason I lost a dozen or so contacts that I had linked with facebook contacts. Before the update I could view facebook contacts and phone contacts seperately. With the new update is there still a way to seperate contacts? The contacts that are gone were also removed from my backup assistant. Also, is there any suggestions on how to retrieve the lost contacts back?
Sad to hear that, but glad to find I was not the only one. They looked at me like I had three heads when I went into the store.
The part that bugs me is they appear to be lost from the backup assistant? Isn't this the reason I have a backup?

CAn anybody help us?

purplkoolaid

Reaction score
How do I reload apps without paying for them again if I do factory reset?

As long as you link your original gmail account you used to purchase your apps with initially they will be sitting right there in the market for you when you return. ;-) Under "downloads" in the market.

Sent from my DROIDX running 2.3.3

Beka27

Reaction score
I just factory reset my phone through the power+home button menu and now my phone works fine. Actually, it somehow loaded the Gingerbread update 2.3.3 somehow. I have no idea how that happened as it definitely wasn't what came with the phone. So to anyone having this same issue, try factory resetting the phone and clearing the cache. You just may have the same, although strange, luck I did.

Anyone know how it reverted to the updated software upon a factory reset?

A factory reset wipes the data without changing the current OS. GB 2.3 is your current OS, therefore that is why it stayed on GB.

An SBF requires you to hook your phone up to a computer and install ("Flash") a stock file. This returns your phone to the original OS, which in our case would be Froyo 2.2.

If you continue to have issues with GB, you might want to go back to Froyo until the kinks get worked out.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I already posted this but if I were you guys I would SBF and then take the OTA again. That is the only way I have been able to get GB to work correctly on DX's.

dubbz23

Reaction score
I did the factory Gingerbread update this weekend and I lost my phone contacts. For some reason I lost a dozen or so contacts that I had linked with facebook contacts. Before the update I could view facebook contacts and phone contacts seperately. With the new update is there still a way to seperate contacts? The contacts that are gone were also removed from my backup assistant. Also, is there any suggestions on how to retrieve the lost contacts back?
Sad to hear that, but glad to find I was not the only one. They looked at me like I had three heads when I went into the store.
The part that bugs me is they appear to be lost from the backup assistant? Isn't this the reason I have a backup?

CAn anybody help us?

Hey everyone, i know this topic has probably been touched upon, but i've been going through numerous threads and haven't exactly come across an answer. Hopefully someone can help shed some light on this situation.

So, after i dl'd Gingerbread OTA, my phone sh!t the bed. They had to overnight me a new one and everything. I set up all my accounts (FB, Twitter, etc.) and noticed that only about 70% of my contacts' photos loaded. I figured maybe because i had so many, it was taking longer than usual, but its the next day and still, there hasnt been any changes. I also dl'd the FB app, and there's no option to sync contacts now? Also, under My Accounts, there's no option to sync FB photo's to your contacts as there was before?

So, question is how come only some of my photos won't load to my contacts? I've even gone into certain contacts and it shows their FB link, but no photo for some reason? If there is a way to fix this, i'd appreciate the help.

director38

Reaction score
Me too!

I have only had my DX for about 3 weeks. I got the update this morning and experienced the same problem. I tried to factory reset but when I get to the Droid screen with the exclamation point, nothing else happens. I called VZW and they are sending a replacement. Very sad...