Droid X Gingerbread Update Problems

MGholson

Reaction score
I received the Gingerbread update this morning. It installed on my phone and then my phone basically became unusable. The screen would freeze and I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even turn it off. I would take out the battery, put it back in, turn the phone back on, and it would keep doing the same thing. Finally, I took out the SD card and it seems to be working fine. Why is this? Do I need a new SD card? Any suggestions?!? Thanks for your help!!!

bkoeppen

Reaction score
Same problem for me on a Droid X, except that removing the SD card didn't help. The phone is completely useless at the moment. Any help would be great! Thanks.

billyrae

Reaction score
I did the factory Gingerbread update this weekend and I lost my phone contacts. For some reason I lost a dozen or so contacts that I had linked with facebook contacts. Before the update I could view facebook contacts and phone contacts seperately. With the new update is there still a way to seperate contacts? The contacts that are gone were also removed from my backup assistant. Also, is there any suggestions on how to retrieve the lost contacts back?

BOBD1950

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC M8
All my speed dials went bye bye.... I had to reset.
The price for new stuff.

corsica96

Reaction score
I received the Gingerbread update this morning. It installed on my phone and then my phone basically became unusable. The screen would freeze and I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even turn it off. I would take out the battery, put it back in, turn the phone back on, and it would keep doing the same thing. Finally, I took out the SD card and it seems to be working fine. Why is this? Do I need a new SD card? Any suggestions?!? Thanks for your help!!!

the same exact thing happened to me. i havent tried taking out the SD card yet though. i went straight into verizon and they are overnighting me a new phone. i figured it was just an issue my particular device was having handling the update because my mom's and a friend's Droid X updated just fine. ill let u know if the new phone makes any difference.

garrettguthrie183

Reaction score
Answers!

This same thing happened to me. I updated my Droid X and it would constantly freeze and even to point where i would push the unlock button and the camera would come on with no on screen buttons. But there is a way to fix it.

1. Go to ur dialer and enter *228
2. Press number two
3. Follow the instructions after that
4. If it doesnt restart, turn off ur phone
5. Take out the battery and wait ten seconds with the battery out
6. Put the battery back in and turn on ur phone

It should be good from there...u needed to upgrade ur roaming which goes along with speed...please comment and reply and tell me if this worked for or not.

doddpower

Reaction score
EXACT same thing happening to me. I installed the OTA update, and the phone boots. Then it becomes completely unresponsive generally going to a black screen with the information bar at the top still active. If I hit the power button I can turn the screen on and off. Give me a break. This is really annoying me. I can't do anything on the phone to fix it because it's unresponsive.

Someone please help? Can I roll back to the previous version of is this phone toast?

Last edited:

doddpower

Reaction score
This same thing happened to me. I updated my Droid X and it would constantly freeze and even to point where i would push the unlock button and the camera would come on with no on screen buttons. But there is a way to fix it.

1. Go to ur dialer and enter *228
2. Press number two
3. Follow the instructions after that
4. If it doesnt restart, turn off ur phone
5. Take out the battery and wait ten seconds with the battery out
6. Put the battery back in and turn on ur phone

It should be good from there...u needed to upgrade ur roaming which goes along with speed...please comment and reply and tell me if this worked for or not.

This is impossible as when my phone boots, I can't hit a single button without it "freezing" up on the black screen with the status bar at the top.

bkoeppen

Reaction score
I flashed my DroidX using the solution from Nerdslogic is message #3. It worked fine.

The steps are a little obscure in places but I was able to figure it out.

Please take note that this procedure takes you back to the previous version, it does not install the new update. And in the process you phone is reset to factory defaults. If you don't have a backup of your data you will lose anything that is not stored on your SD card (contacts, favorites, downloaded apps, etc.)

doddpower

Reaction score
I just factory reset my phone through the power+home button menu and now my phone works fine. Actually, it somehow loaded the Gingerbread update 2.3.3 somehow. I have no idea how that happened as it definitely wasn't what came with the phone. So to anyone having this same issue, try factory resetting the phone and clearing the cache. You just may have the same, although strange, luck I did.

Anyone know how it reverted to the updated software upon a factory reset?

johndstu

Reaction score
Hard reset required

Hi,

I performed the gingerbread update to my Droid X today and it turned into a brick with just black screen, I had to do something. So after spending an hour on the phone waiting for verizon support, I found the method for a hard reset at the link below. After that process, setting up my phone, calling #228, and reloading apps I am back online. I am extremely disappointed in Verizon and Google for the release of this update.

I would recommend NOT updating your phone.

link to hard reset: Hard Reset Droid X | Technipages

John

jonstewart2

Reaction score
with my droid x, it fully downloads the update, but when i try to install it, it only installs a fourth of the way and then reboots....have to clue as to what could be the issue, but i have flashed several times today, factory reset/clear data, and it still doesn't update...suggestions??