Droid X Gingerbread Update Problems

drachels

Reaction score
I had problems after the update as others of you described, very slow response to everything plus high battery usage. I discovered that removing the 16GB card fixed the problem. I suspect it might have something to do with the size of the card because I have a spare 2GB card laying around from an older phone and it seems to work just fine. I am able to see all the old photos on it and also play the videos on it even though they are a different format, I think.dancedroid Battery usage seems okay for two days now with the big card removed and the smaller one inserted.

poohlash

Reaction score
my phone is toast too

I installed the update yesterday and now it won't do anything.

poohlash

Reaction score
It is hard to do this when you have a black screen that is unresponsive

mesomar

Reaction score
Verizon Customer Service SUCKS!

After updating my Droid X, a lot of things are screwed up on my phone, especially my Bluetooth in my car. The phone and my car's Bluetooth was working great before the update and now it doesn't work. I got a replacement phone from Verizon and the Bluetooth still doesn't work. Verizon customer service representative said there was a problem with my car's bluetooth and Verizon can't do anything about it...BULL &#@*! I was on the phone with Verizon and Motorola for two hours, and I keep getting the same answer..."there's not a problem with the update, it's your car's Bluetooth."

cadyd08

Reaction score
issue resolved

I had the same problem. I had to take out the battery in order to turn the phone off or get it to unfreeze. Taking out the SD card didn't work. My phone was unusable. I took my phone in to Verizon and they did a manual reset. Of course I had to reinstall my accounts and apps but my contacts, pictures, etc. were all intact. The update is great for the most part. Our store said several Droid X owners had had the same problem.

tjplace

Reaction score
I had same problem at first. The phone looks ready to use and when you touch it, it goes black. Remove the battery for a few minutes. Then turn it on and WALK AWAY! Do not touch the phone for about 2 hours. The update will be completely installed and then make sure you change display brightness down as low as you can handle, 20-25% instead of auto brightness. Your battery will last longer, programs work faster. NO, I did not do a reset, did not remove any apps. Just changed screen brightness.

craigstruzz

Reaction score
fix for SD card

I had same problem. I checked properties of SD card and found it was read only. I put checkmark at write option and fixed problem.

cadyd08

Reaction score
by doing the hard reset did that delete all of your contacts?

No. My contacts were backed up via google and Backup Assistant. And when I went to the market app all of my downloaded apps were there to be downloaded again.

Remmiks

Reaction score
Mixed feelings of frustration

So I manually dwnld'd GB OTA today and thought I ended up with a brick. Rather than running an SBF, I went through all the options listed throughout this thread. None worked for me other than the factory reset. Spent the better part of my day off dealing with this and then the evening piecing my preferences, accounts, settings etc. back together.

Thankfully, my phone seems to be functioning fine and it doesn't seem like I lost any contacts, calendar appointments or apps (thank God for internet back-ups!). The GB UI seems nice in some ways but I'm waiting for Moto & VZW to push an update that will crash the phone again.

The whole impetus for the update was due a curiosity of installing LauncherPro and upgrading to MIUI or Cyanogen. Now I'm more than sold on searching for a third party stable firmware.

I will say I'm fairly confident that the info from Droid Forums, Android Community and Life Hacker was much more helpful than calling up VZW.

Good luck to y'all out there!

dmc7123

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this?

I had same problem at first. The phone looks ready to use and when you touch it, it goes black. Remove the battery for a few minutes. Then turn it on and WALK AWAY! Do not touch the phone for about 2 hours. The update will be completely installed and then make sure you change display brightness down as low as you can handle, 20-25% instead of auto brightness. Your battery will last longer, programs work faster. NO, I did not do a reset, did not remove any apps. Just changed screen brightness.

Has anyone else tried this and gotten it to work?

Tanto88

Reaction score
I updated my girlfriends X tonight after realizing that it was still running froyo. It ran into the same issue as the rest of you. I ended up wiping the dalvik cache and it started running normal after about 5 minutes.

sammy996

Reaction score
Gingerbread update screwed up a lot

I received the Gingerbread update this morning. It installed on my phone and then my phone basically became unusable. The screen would freeze and I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even turn it off. I would take out the battery, put it back in, turn the phone back on, and it would keep doing the same thing. Finally, I took out the SD card and it seems to be working fine. Why is this? Do I need a new SD card? Any suggestions?!? Thanks for your help!!!

FYI - D2G
I had a lot of problems and they had me factory reset and many went away including the date I forgot to back up but that was my fault and not a biggie.. Watch out for apps like notepad etc where you don't have date syncing to the inet... anyway, I still have some problems but not as many. I still have and issue with

Things the factory reset DID NOT fix ==>
1. icons disappearing when I plug the phone into my laptop. I tracked this to programs installed on the SD. The computer takes hold of the SD but somehow removes the icons which do not come back automatically.
2. Phone is less stable. reception goes up and down
3. Call disconnect never used to occur for me
4. Still some email syncing errors
5. Social networking. Does not accept FB password and I cannot remove account. I get an error.
6. Maybe it is me but try to place a new icon in an empty bottom left slot on one of the screens. It is a real challenge. I think the calibration is off a little.
7. Test msgs have haptic vibe and a click sound now and I cannot turn it off. My haptic setting and audible sounds are both already off.

Things fixes with factory reset==>
1. the docking station was not working properly but the factory reset fixed that. Alarm and weather screwed up
2. msgs failing to send sometimes. never happened even once before
3. email syncing errors. rarely happened before
4. Display shutting off right after I unlocked and thus rendering the phone useless.