Droid X drops Nav.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
"waiting for location"

Lately, after going to 2.2., when I use nav it goes into an endless "waiting for location" loop. Nothing works to get nav to wake up (turning off GPS, exiting and restarting, even turning phone off). Sooner or later, it just wakes up and works w/o a hitch...
any thoughts?

TheAdmiral

Reaction score
I could not connect to gps after upgrading to maps 4.4. After uninstalling upgrade it worked just fine again.

ecfiffer

Reaction score
Took a 2hr drive today with the GPS on....

It must have dropped out about 10+ times. Sometimes within a few seconds of turning it back on it would close again. Other times I'd be able to drive 30 mins w/o any troubles.

For me:
Car dock
Verizon Charger

Apps:
Google Maps Navigation Book

PS: My phone didn't charge while on dock. I started off with 90% ended the trip with 60%....................:icon_eek:.....wtf......have the .6 update.

Last weekend, drove down to my wife's family reunion and using my D1 with nav running and charging by time we arrived, the phone quit charging and had 20% battery left.

i think your nav woes and charging issues are different. with both my d1 and my wifes dx if the battery is hot it wont charge. but my wife is having the same dropped nav issue that everyone else is having. i just cleared her cache data and will have her try it again tomorrow. i think its a few things with maps 4.4 AND the last update that rolled out.

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
My DX is dropping nav signal as well.It dropped several times,even the day i got the phone,they are sending a replacement when they become available. I almost wish Id kept the Droid 1,never ever had a problem with the Nav system,I dont trust the turn by turn on thedroid x,it is just too unreliable signal wise...

Bill M

Reaction score
I am also having the same problem with Navigation dropping. Just a side note, this happens with or without the car dock, and happened prior to and with the latest Google Maps update. I do not have froyo on my phone yet.
Verizon sent me a new phone and I'm still having the same problem. I was driving on a 2 1/2 hour trip from North New Jersey To Essex Connecticut, and the phone constantly back out of the navigation screen. I don't know if it happens every time the cell signal is lost or what, but this did not happen with my original droid.

In another story, I'm having nightmares with verizon trying to bill me for my replacement phone. They messed up and actually sent me two phones, one was brand new and the other was a certified like new phone. I called them and explained that I received two phones in error and advised I am keeping the new one, as I should not get a "certified like new phone" because the phone is brand new and it doesn't work right! They said Ok, keep the new one.

Now my phone bill is showing an almost $400 charge. They are saying that I bought a new phone?
Anyway, after haggling with them for half an hour on the phone they said that the charge should drop off my bill within the next billing period.
I have a feeling I'll be calling back again.

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I don't think it's the phone in this case. There is some discussion in the Google Mobile help forums about Nav. dropping. There was a user who analyzed the code and found something about a null pointer.

Yes, the problem seemed to have subsided in the new GMS apps. It's entirely possible that the pointer that was set to NULL after deletion was no longer set to NULL. This would cause the pointer to point to a non-allocated space in a block. The moment that space is reallocated, it can be written over, hence invalidating the block's contents as far as glMakeCurrent is concerned. This is probably why the 100% occurrence turned to about a 5% occurrence for this bug.

This bug has NOTHING to do with a dock. It's got everything to do with a surface that gets deleted before it should. This bug can be duplicated by following these steps:

1) open Google maps
2) hit the menu key
3) select "Directions"
4) enter a destination and hit "Go"
5) select "Navigate"
6) If you get a dialog discussing why you shouldn't operate this while driving, hit "OK"
7) when prompted, you can skip installing the voice directions app
8) when the map finally appears, hit the menu key
9) choose "Route Info"
10) select the far right button that looks sort of like a text document
11) When the list of directions appear, ONE of these three choices will cause a crash:
a) open the flip
b) hit the 'back' key
c) re-orient the phone if you have "Orientation" enabled

With GMS R8 (4.4), at step 11, you might have to try about 20 - 30 times. With R7 (prior to 4.4) the crash will happen immediately, 100% of the time.

I hope this helps Google track down the issue.

Regards,

Rob
My programing skills (if you really want to call them that) haven't been touched since college, so I'm not even sure what this means. The Google moderator posted and reported the issues to the team. We haven't heard from him in a month. I'm thinking they are waiting for FroYo to hit the X and then push an update out.

ecfiffer

Reaction score
I don't think it's the phone in this case. There is some discussion in the Google Mobile help forums about Nav. dropping. There was a user who analyzed the code and found something about a null pointer.

Yes, the problem seemed to have subsided in the new GMS apps. It's entirely possible that the pointer that was set to NULL after deletion was no longer set to NULL. This would cause the pointer to point to a non-allocated space in a block. The moment that space is reallocated, it can be written over, hence invalidating the block's contents as far as glMakeCurrent is concerned. This is probably why the 100% occurrence turned to about a 5% occurrence for this bug.

This bug has NOTHING to do with a dock. It's got everything to do with a surface that gets deleted before it should. This bug can be duplicated by following these steps:

1) open Google maps
2) hit the menu key
3) select "Directions"
4) enter a destination and hit "Go"
5) select "Navigate"
6) If you get a dialog discussing why you shouldn't operate this while driving, hit "OK"
7) when prompted, you can skip installing the voice directions app
8) when the map finally appears, hit the menu key
9) choose "Route Info"
10) select the far right button that looks sort of like a text document
11) When the list of directions appear, ONE of these three choices will cause a crash:
a) open the flip
b) hit the 'back' key
c) re-orient the phone if you have "Orientation" enabled

With GMS R8 (4.4), at step 11, you might have to try about 20 - 30 times. With R7 (prior to 4.4) the crash will happen immediately, 100% of the time.

I hope this helps Google track down the issue.

Regards,

Rob
My programing skills (if you really want to call them that) haven't been touched since college, so I'm not even sure what this means. The Google moderator posted and reported the issues to the team. We haven't heard from him in a month. I'm thinking they are waiting for FroYo to hit the X and then push an update out.

i guess that would make sense. if its refreshing the screen and map as you are driving and it gets one of these 'null' values well a value that should have been 'null' would cause the app to back out and more or less say 'wtf 'eh., where did you want to go again?"

Johnnyb

Reaction score
I just flew in to San Antonio last night...I needed to drive to Beaumont, it's about five hours. My GPS was never up for more than a handful of minutes. It was plugged in, at times I was talking with my wife on the phone while the GPS was running. I didn't notice any significant batter drain (but I wasn't looking either). The charger that I'm using is from Igo. I actually was pulled over by a Texas State Trooper for drunk driving because I was trying to figure out why my GPS kept restarting (thank God he was a cool guy, talk with me for a few minutes, realized I wasn't drunk at all and let me go about my business). Something intersting that I noticed during this five plus hour trek was that the Navigation feature was restarting. It would actually disappear, go back to the last screen I was on but I noticed that it also wasn't in the task bar at the top of the screen, there was no "blue arrow" during these times the GPS would...restart.

So, I'm on this forum this evening after work trying to sort out what's going on with my GPS. I was going to call verizon customer service and noticed, out the window of my hotel is a Verizon store. It's got a full "service/support" counter apparently so I head over there to tell them of my troubles with the GPS. To make a long story longer ('cause that's what I do) they told me it was an issue with Google Maps and they don't support that application, they suggested I sign-up for VZ Navigator. (?!?!?!) The support guy also suggests that I uninstall the application, then reinstall it. I tried that during dinner. You can't uninstall Google Maps...at least it wouldn't let me uninstall it. So I went to the Market to check for the developers email...and there's an update available! (Version 4.5.0 #4519 gmm-android-verizon)

I've got a 28 mile drive in the morning to the Beaumont Enterprise.com news paper (where I'm doing some consulting). I'll check my GPS on the drive and let you know if this update fixed the issue that we all seem to be having.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
The update to 4.5 didn't work. Now I'm staking my hopes on 2.2 that's supposed to start rolling out tonight...I hope it gets to my phone tonight...I've got to drive across Texas tomorrow (well, only six hours worth of Texas) and I'd really like to use Google Navigation.

imin4itnow

Reaction score
I actually got my update last night: the night before the release. I dont know why I just tapped update. Anyway I was having the same prob as everyone else and used the nav this morning and drove 45 min. It worked perfectly. Hope its not just a fluke. 2.2 is awesome. Totally see and feel the difference.

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Yep, me too. I got a forum update from "MotoMatt" on the DroidUsers forum by Motorola that you could force your update so I did that around midnight Central time. I got up this morning and headed out across Texas, drove for 7 hours and GPS didn't drop one single time.

Way to go Moto/Verizion!