Droid X drops Nav.

rfranken

Reaction score
no car doc
no background apps
satellite images on.
drops every 3 minutes.

with satellite images off...drops every 5 minutes.
(once made it to 10)

Mine always keeps nav running in the back ground...but sometimes locks out...and sometimes just turns the screen dark.
a week ago..it was actually stop nav...when it went black...but now it doesnt

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Maps 4.4 just released. Hope it helps you.....

keithm

Reaction score
nav issues

Received the update. No betting and maybe alittle worse.

PACanesFan

Reaction score
Having the same problem with Google Nav using the OEM car dock. The Nav part drops back into the last screen I was before starting Nav. When I do not use the car dock, I did not have this problem.

On a related note, while using the car dock and Nav, the car charger does not provide enough to charge the battery. I get the charging symbol, but it drains it pretty quickly.

Just to keep everyone together, there is a discussion going on in the Google Nav help area about this problem as well.
Google Nav switching from turn by turn to directions screen on Droid X - Google Mobile Help

keithm

Reaction score
downloaded ndrive last night(large download) and tried it out this morning and had absolutely no problems this morning on the same route. do you think there is a google maps problem? note: volume so low barely able to hear it

stevem.fl

Reaction score
Navigation Screen Issues

I'm having the same problem. I bought the 42 dollar car dock last weekend for my Droid X and it worked fine all day Sunday during a trip to the beach. Then I received the 1.13.604 update yesterday (Wednesday) morning and when I used my Droid last night, the turn by turn navigation would suddenly and randomly return to the gray list of directions screen. Even though the Droid is on this screen, I'll still hear directions though (like it's working in the background). If I touch the Navigate button, it starts turn by turn again but not for long. It happened several times during a one hour trip and is very annoying and frustrating to say the least. I also have the latest version of Google Maps. I have seen several posts online about his issue and I think it's related to the forced 1.13.604 upgrade. They need to fix this and fast.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Took a 2hr drive today with the GPS on....

It must have dropped out about 10+ times. Sometimes within a few seconds of turning it back on it would close again. Other times I'd be able to drive 30 mins w/o any troubles.

For me:
Car dock
Verizon Charger

Apps:
Google Maps Navigation Book

PS: My phone didn't charge while on dock. I started off with 90% ended the trip with 60%....................:icon_eek:.....wtf......have the .6 update.

Last weekend, drove down to my wife's family reunion and using my D1 with nav running and charging by time we arrived, the phone quit charging and had 20% battery left.

PACanesFan

Reaction score
There are two different problems here that may not be related.

1) Battery discharging while plugged into car dock and showing charge symbol
2) Google Nav. crashing out into home screen, but still navigating

I have used my GPS/NAV for 2 short 1/2 trips and have not had the issue now. Here is what I changed. I exchanged the car dock at VZW for a new one. I updated Google Maps to the new version. So far, no crashes out to home screen. Again, I've only tested on short trips (1.2 hour or less). Before it would crash out every 2 or 3 minutes of usage.

The first problem can easily be rectified by getting a higher amperage charger. I purchased a 1200mA charger. When hooked up to the dock, the charge symbol comes on. However, I do not see any discharge of the battery after using. I will give it a longer test this weekend (2+ hours of travel)

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

pcw67427

Reaction score
I'm also having the same problem, dropping back to home screen. However it didn't start till on the way home from a recent trip w/ approx. a (4.5 hr.) drive (7-27-10), it worked fine on the way there. Spoke the rep. I deal with @ local Verizon store I go to, while on the road & he suggested doing a roaming reprogram (*228 / option # 2). It seemed to work for approx. (50 mi.), then started again. I then called the (800 #) & spoke to a Verizon Tech, & they seem to not be aware of this issue. He said it sounds like a software issue & to try a complete phone reset, of which I didn't get a chance to.

Fast forward to today (7-29-10), when I started to write this I decided to call the Verizon tech dept. (1) more time to make sure I understood what the tech meant. I figured I would save this, do the reset, go out & try it, then come back & finish this reporting back if it worked. However as of about (2 hr. ago, eastern time) when I spoke to the tech, she was able to find info on this, & according her, Verizon & Motorla appear to now be aware of the problem, but there is no info on an update to fix it yet. She also suggeted not resetting the phone, as it appears to be a problem w/ the app not phone.

Also addressing the issue w/ the battery indicating it's charging, but in actuality it's discharging while phone is in the car cradle, go get youn battery replaced if you haven't already. I went to the Verizon store when I got back from my trip, told them what was happening & they replaced the battery. I then completely charged the battery w/ phone off before using it. I then went to an appointment w/ a (40 min.) drive, using the nav & making calls w/ bluetooth also on & it held the charge to (100%). I was @ my appt. for approx. (3.5 hrs.) w/ phone not charging & coming back home the charging icon showed on the battery icon & by time I got home it showed full charge. Both by icon & in About Phone>Status. Also the back of phone was nowhere near as hot as it had gotten before.

Hopefully this info, though it isn't much, will help w/ everyone's frustration a little bit.

cray

Reaction score
I took a 4 hour 189 mile trip today and was my first time to use the gps and google maps. The screen would go black, but still navigating in the background.

Also I had a Monster charger I used with my ipod touch and used it for part of the trip and it kept discharging my battery. I then took my power inverter that puts out a regular 115 volts and plugged in the charger that came with the Droid X. The battery charged from 60% to 100% in what seemed like normal time.

I must say the accuracy of the gps is spot on. It was spot on in location, mileage and trip timer.

Hope google, verizon and motorola will address this glitch.

Bill M

Reaction score
I'm have the same problem with the navigation screen going off the map page and on to the gray page with directions. I have this problem with and without the car dock. I still do not have the .604 update either.

OP
ricepuddin

ricepuddin

Reaction score
I emailed Moto with a link to this thread.

Also on the return trip i tried it again. Only back out on its own once, had the same odd rerouting problem. It Happened in the same Area, Waco TX so i blame David Koresh!

chykal

Reaction score
Having same issues here. Read somewhere to uninstall 4.4. Did and now I am running 4.3. Will test tomorrow. Anyone else?

PACanesFan

Reaction score
I was able to do some testing this weekend on a long drive (3+ hours) and here are my results.

Problem 1 - Phone battery discharges while charging when GPS is running
I purchased a 1200mA charger from a local electronics store. When using the GPS, it was able to charge the battery. However, when a call came in (approx. 30 minutes duration), the battery was discharged to the 80% mark. I don't think the charging circuitry inside the phone can keep the battery going with GPS and Bluetooth.

Problem 2 - Google Nav. 'crashing' to home screen
I did not experience this problem at all this weekend, even covering the same roads I did a week prior and experiencing the problem. Upgrading to Google Maps 4.4 seems to have done it for me. In addition (if it makes a difference), I did exchange the car dock at Verizon for a new one.