Droid X Corporate Sync

big007hed

Reaction score
I am new to this site and to Droid, the Droid X will be my first Android phone, and I am coming from BlackBerry. I have been trying to find info on how the Corporate Sync works with Exchange 2007?

I did a search in the forums and didn't find anything that fit what I was looking for.

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

(can't wait for the 15th)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did you just wanna sync mail on the exchange server?

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
im using a moto droid running froyo (version 2.2). Exchange works great for me.

now the droid x comes with eclair (version 2.1), and i know there were some enhancements to exchange with the new version, so i don't know how well your droid x will play with exchange. that being said, the droid x should be upgraded OTA to 2.2 pretty quickly.

OP
big007hed

big007hed

Reaction score
Yeah I want to make sure that I have some similar functionality from my BB, like calendar and email syncing and attachment downloads, I didn't know if the corporate sync on the DX is any different than previous models.

Thank u for the quick responses

Reaction score
Yeah I want to make sure that I have some similar functionality from my BB, like calendar and email syncing and attachment downloads, I didn't know if the corporate sync on the DX is any different than previous models.

The answer is yes, with some caution...

I had a Blackberry Storm2 for about a year and my company has a BES. Through my Verizon Business account rep, I was able to get my hands on a Droid X last week and have been using it for the past 5 days. (FYI, the phone completely ROCKS!)

I set my X up with Corporate Sync to my account. Not only do the emails get to my inbox quicker (due to not having to go through the BES), but any of my Exchange Contacts that have twitter or Facebook accounts, I can link those accounts and get even more detailed info for my contacts.

The one problem I am having, however, it with the "Corporate Calendar." The problem (from what I have been reading online) is that my Exchange server (2007) only has SP1. With SP2 installed on the server, the issues go away, or perhaps as someone else said, maybe once OS 2.2 comes out for my phone, issues will be resolved.

I am going to try to get it working, but if I can't, I will download another App that does full Exchange syncing with no issues until either server gets to SP2 or my phone gets 2.2, whichever occurs first and fixes the Calendar issue.

EDIT: I spoke to my Exchange Admin, and apparently we have SP2 installed on the servers. We wiped all relationships from the server and I removed my corporate account from the phone, rebooted and re-added it. The calendar still will not work. I can get everything working properly by installing the "Touchdown" app, but it's only free for 30 days. Hoping I can get this solved by the time the trial ends (not to mention that the Touchdown app seems to drain the battery awefully quick).

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown doesn't affect my battery. Are you connected via ActiveSync or are you stuck with polling? Polling will definitely kill your battery.

Many people find the stock Exchange support to be insufficient. You really just have to try it first hand (as well as the other options) to see what suits you best. For me, the rules (enabling customized email notifications), ability to sync any date range of data, and otherthings I can't think of off the top of my head made Touchdown a must-have for me. YMMV, of course.

Don't overlook HTC's Work Email app, Moxier and RoadSync. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Touchdown doesn't affect my battery. Are you connected via ActiveSync or are you stuck with polling? Polling will definitely kill your battery.

Many people find the stock Exchange support to be insufficient. You really just have to try it first hand (as well as the other options) to see what suits you best. For me, the rules (enabling customized email notifications), ability to sync any date range of data, and otherthings I can't think of off the top of my head made Touchdown a must-have for me. YMMV, of course.

Don't overlook HTC's Work Email app, Moxier and RoadSync. I'm sure there are others I can't think of right now.

+1 on Touchdown, Blows the stock app away....

Reaction score

Yeah, didn't realize the default setting was set to Poll rather than Push. I did change that setting and I guess we'll see how it changes the game. (However, what about those people that can only Poll? Then Touchdown becomes an app that they wouldn't want to use.)

I know that the Touchdown App works, and works fantastically at that... I guess my only problem is that the Corporate Sync that comes standard on the phone touts a checkbox to sync your calendar via Exchange ActiveSync, and it apparently doesn't do that. If you can't fix issues or get it working, then don't include it as a feature native to the phone.

Reaction score
Just to update you all as to the status, here is what I have done so far:

-Hard Reset (factory reset) of the Droid X
-Had Exchange Admin delete all ActiveSync relationships for my mailbox.
-Set phone back up for Corporate Sync with my Exchange account (and I verified that we are in fact using 2007 SP2.)

At that point, I again was able to get emails and Contacts on the phone, but my Calendar was once again only showing a few appointments from my Exchange Calendar. (Mostly, it seemed to be reoccuring appointments such as Birthdays and Anniversaries that appeared on my phone, the rest were missing.)

Since that point, I contacted Motorola Support. They asked me similar questions and/or suggested I wipe the phone and clear the phone relationship on the Exchange server. One thing they did have me do was add a new Driod "policy" on the Exchange server that is supposed to help with this. When I hung up with them (about 20 minutes ago), they told me to reset everything now that I have a new policy and wait a few hours to see if the items show up.

I also called Verizon, but was told that 1) They don't have the proper support documentation as the Droid X is not officially out yet and 2) Based on similar phones that they do support currently, they cannot go beyond checking that the Corporate Sync settings are correct on the phone. (Basically, they are saying that they can ensure the phone is provisioned and setup properly, but they cannot do tech support on the Exchange Server side.)

I kept my Exchange Admin abreast of this all, and he is looking for solutions from Microsoft to see if this is a known issue and/or looking through the Sync logs on the Exchange server.

I will again update you if anything comes of this situation.

Reaction score
Solution to Calendar Sync Issue!

I fixed the issues with my calendar sync on the Droid X. Here’s what I did:

· Setup the Droid Incredible to activesync with my account, which everything worked perfectly fine.
· Wiped the Incredible and deleted the Mobile Phone on my Exchange Mailbox.
· Searched this message board for people with similar issues and found one (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-incredible-tech-issues/43857-exchange-2010-activesync-issues-2.html).

Here’s the fix:
o Remove ActiveSync relationship on the phone.
o Go into Outlook, backup all calendar items to a PST file locally.
o Show calendar items in your mailbox as “Show all” view (list view).
o Select all appointments and delete them.
o Setup phone for ActiveSync relationship with mailbox.
o Create test appointment on phone, then check outlook to see if it comes across (it did for me).
o Delete test appointment in Outlook, see if it deletes from the Phone (it did for me).
o Open the PST Backup file and view side-by-side with mailbox calendar.
o Starting slowly at first, I moved a few of my calendar items over. (I did ones that weren’t re-occurring and that had no other attendees.)
o After the first few worked, I then started copying my reoccurring meetings over and/or the ones that I didn’t create (Ex. Our Weekly Staff meetings.) These too, also worked and showed up on the phone.
o Selected the rest of my appointments (to be honest, there weren’t that many) and copied them to my Mailbox calendar.
o Looked on phone and everything continues to function as it should!

So, basically from what I can gather, something in my pre-existing appointments caused a glitch in the ActiveSync relationship between my Exchange Mailbox and the Droid X. :icon_ banana:

...and I am STILL getting the Droid X tonight at midnight! Can't wait!!!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The answer is yes, with some caution...

I had a Blackberry Storm2 for about a year and my company has a BES. Through my Verizon Business account rep, I was able to get my hands on a Droid X last week and have been using it for the past 5 days. (FYI, the phone completely ROCKS!)

I set my X up with Corporate Sync to my account. Not only do the emails get to my inbox quicker (due to not having to go through the BES), but any of my Exchange Contacts that have twitter or Facebook accounts, I can link those accounts and get even more detailed info for my contacts.

The one problem I am having, however, it with the "Corporate Calendar." The problem (from what I have been reading online) is that my Exchange server (2007) only has SP1. With SP2 installed on the server, the issues go away, or perhaps as someone else said, maybe once OS 2.2 comes out for my phone, issues will be resolved.

I am going to try to get it working, but if I can't, I will download another App that does full Exchange syncing with no issues until either server gets to SP2 or my phone gets 2.2, whichever occurs first and fixes the Calendar issue.

EDIT: I spoke to my Exchange Admin, and apparently we have SP2 installed on the servers. We wiped all relationships from the server and I removed my corporate account from the phone, rebooted and re-added it. The calendar still will not work. I can get everything working properly by installing the "Touchdown" app, but it's only free for 30 days. Hoping I can get this solved by the time the trial ends (not to mention that the Touchdown app seems to drain the battery awefully quick).

i was wondering what you thought of the "stock" Droid X email?? i have the original Droid, and the stock email blows. i paid for Touchdown, and use it EXCLUSIVELY - it rocks, in my opinion!! did they make any major improvements to the Droid X email???

Reaction score
I was wondering what you thought of the "stock" Droid X email?? i have the original Droid, and the stock email blows. i paid for Touchdown, and use it EXCLUSIVELY - it rocks, in my opinion!! did they make any major improvements to the Droid X email???

I did use Touchdown for some time while I sorted or the issues and although I think it is very good, it killed the battery on the Droid X. (I did try both polling and push with similar results.)

As for comparing with the Droid, I honestly don't know. I did trial the original Droid and hated it...bad QWERTY slider keyboard and heavy as a brick. As for the Droid X, the Corporate Sync is basic but easy to stop and use. As a Blackberry user, the transition is relatively seamless in regards to interface.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
that's odd - i have ZERO battery problems with TD on my Droid. i store lots of material in sub-folders on my Exchange email, and the stock Droid email was largely unworkable. sounds like not much has changed with the X. i probably would have downloaded TD anyway...

i agree with your assessment of the Droid. but, when i got it 7 months ago, it was da sh*t. now, once i'm chained to the phone for another year, it has suddenly become an obsolete dinosaur. i'm hearing rumors (on another thread) that certain preferred customers may be allowed to do an early upgrade to X - hope so!