Droid X Anti-Glare Protector or No?

Discussion in 'Droid X Accessories' started by jwjones91, Oct 4, 2010.

1. jwjones91

jwjones91 New Member

I picked up my new X today at VZ and i got the screen protector because..well...its a $600 phone! my concern is the protector distorts the visibility of the screen so i dont get the full enjoyment out of the 4.4in screen. I don't want to scratch the screen but I also want to enjoy the clear crisp screen... your thoughts? its a dumb question i know but i don't want to make the wrong decision.
  2. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

The anti glare is great if your outside in the sun a lot. If not get just the plain screen protector. Saves the screen and is just clear plastic. It is what I use.

Typed with Swype on my Droid X and sent with Tapatalk.
  3. dweicht31

dweicht31 New Member

I have the current VZ anti-glare on now. Distorts the screen a lot. I am waiting for my clear ones to arrive from amazon.
  4. KooLaiDe

KooLaiDe New Member

Yes to screen protection, much better than scratching your new phone's screen; once it's scratched, you can't go back! I use anti glare because of the sun, I don't think they distort the screen. Plus they help to hide this those gross smudges!:)
  5. Guitar4Him

Guitar4Him New Member

I've got the anti-glare protector on my X. I don't think it distorts the screen and it really cuts down on the glare outside. Also, I think it makes using Swype easier....my finger glides easier on the anti-glare protector than on the native screen or on a non-glare screen protector.
  6. Power

Power New Member

I'm using Verizon protectors too

I concur. I have the stock ones from Verizon and they work just fine. I've had it on since day 1 but using mine next to a brand new one of another user with no protector I like the VZ just fine and notice no loss in screen clarity. Plus as mentioned Swype seems easier and less "sticky" with the protector verses the stock screen. Price is right (3 for $12). My only gripe is they don't cover the entire edge of the actual 'glass', it only covers the visible areas and not the glass black border around the screen.
  7. hoppyjr

hoppyjr New Member

I recommend the Steinheil anti-fingerprint. I use it and find it perfect, no distortion and great fit.
  8. eddiemro

eddiemro New Member

The new anti-glare protectors definitely make the screen look grainy. I bought a X yesterday with the anti-glare and could not stand it. Today I went and got a ZAGG screen protector an I like it much better.
  9. TreyStyles

TreyStyles New Member

I had the VZW Anti-Glare protector but switched to Stealth Guards protector. It is FREE for a limited time...only $2.85 with shipping. I couldn't be happier.

The VZW Anti-glare distorted the screen too much, and it doesn't cover all of the glass!!! Imaging if you got a really bad scratch on the exposed glass. I would be annoyed to pieces.

The Stealth Guard covers the entire glass surface and has a nice feel to it. It also doesn't distort the screen at all!
  10. Daali

Daali New Member

Thanks for the link again, I just ordered a couple sets to try out
  11. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

you must make a decision
  12. milski65

milski65 Member

Hey Trey Styles, is that Stealth Guard a dry or wet application? I've never used either, but from what I've seen on the web everybody recommends the wet application. Thanks for the post.
  13. FabulousCity

FabulousCity New Member

What is the difference between the regular and HD anti-glare??
  14. Inkarnit

Inkarnit New Member

I dunno... day 1 of getting my X, the store popped a non-glare protector on there and it seemed to do fine. A few days later I went to the Verizon store complaining about battery life and they asked why I didn't have the anti-glare protector, so I got that one put on. I kept it on there for 3 months until I decided I wanted to try it without any protector for a bit because I didn't like losing some of the clarity. I've now been using no protector for about a week and I LOVE the feel of the stock screen. It looks so much better and the screen feels slick to me. It's much easier to swype than with the protector. Not that it was difficult before, but I don't really want to go back. I'm scared of harming the screen, but I have that belt clip case thing where the screen faces in anyway, so maybe I don't need one.
  15. hoppyjr

hoppyjr New Member

Again I'll say, I didn't like the Verizon protectors at all. The Steinheil / SGP Anti fingerprint is much, much better :)
  16. superdesi

superdesi New Member

steinheil ultra is one of the best screen protectors i have seen. it is a bit of investment but I think its def worth it. cant even tell ur using a screen protector
  17. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman New Member

I have the Verizon anti-glare protector and it works fine for me....don't notice any distortion and seems clear when the screen is lit. It was easy to put on and all functions work fine. The anti-glare works.

18. transfan

transfan New Member

the problem with the verizon ones is that they only protect the visible screen, and not the entire glass surface. So your fingers (or mine at least) have to run across the edge of the protector.

I went on ebay and got 3 protectors for $2.00 shipped/total and they work great. They are not anti-glare, but they cover the whole screen and are $2 for 3!
  19. qqqqqqqman

qqqqqqqman New Member

Well, the Verizon one covers all but the bottom 1/4" and side 1/8", where there are NO functions at all. I can't believe the paper-thin border at the bottom bothers fingers...it's almost imperceptible with normal touching and sliding, as you don't even touch that area. Personally, I never even notice that the screen is NOT totally covered, because the areas used ARE covered.

If it DID cover the whole screen with anti-glare, some people would complain that the nice, shiny piano-black border gets covered up.

I think the anti-glare and anti-fingerprint properties more than make up for not covering the edges. Fingerprints are at most a minimal issue, unlike the bare screen. Not sure how the ultra clear protectors do on fingerprints, but I imagine they show a lot. The Verizon screen still looks totally factory in style and went on with NO bubbles at all.

I guess I'll have to see someone's Ultra Clear one to make a comparison.

20. transfan

transfan New Member

It's not paper-thin. These are hard sheets of plastic. And yes, the anti-glare coating definitely pixelates the screen. My fiance has the VZ anti-glare, and I bought the regular VZ protectors. Then I bought the $2 ebay ones, and here is an honest opinion:

The anti-glare does not show fingerprints and your fingers glide very well across it! She likes it because she just wants a phone and doesn't care about the lost clarity, likes the no-smudge aspect, and the gliding.

The VZ regular ones DO show fingerprints, and show lots of glare in the sun/work lighting, But they are very clear with no distortion. However, they are shorter than the screen. So you can see that there is a protector on it, and have to be extremely precise when applying, also dust can get into the indented edge of the phone.

The ones I got from eBay DO show fingerprints, and show lots of glare as well. They are also clear with no distortion. They fit onto the entire screen almost exactly, and preserve the piano black finish. You can't tell that there is a screen protector on it.

In the end it's about personal preference. I prefer when my screen is on for it to look and feel like there is no protector on at all. Of course, I don't like the smudges that are shown when the screen is off, but the main purpose of the phone is to use it, not display it in a museum.

My fiance prefers usability and not having to clean off the screen as often. I will look for an anti-glare that covers the full screen on ebay tho.
Search tags for this page
anti glare hood for droid x
droid glare sun

droid x anti glare screen protector review

droid x antiglare screen protector
matte screen protector distorts
too much glare on android outdoors
verizon droid x anti glare
vzw anti glare display protector how to apply