Droid X and spy cams for my home

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
I want to set up spy cams around my home to keep an eye on things and my seven dogs can anybody point me to the right app and a place to buy the cams to hook to my computer over wifi if that's better but would need to be able to view anytime from my X

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Lady_DroidX

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
Anyone? ?????

ekf028

Reaction score
I love those people that don't get an answer within an hour or two and start freaking out.
When you type "Anyone!!?!?! " people are probably less likely to answer.

Natey2

Reaction score
I love those people that don't get an answer within an hour or two and start freaking out.

Women always get an answer.

kevinkar

Reaction score
I love those people who mindlessly post useless comments that are no help whatsoever. People are less likely to care.

First thing to do is to find a set of web cams that have good server software. If that's garbage, you won't want to view your web cam output on your phone much less a PC. There are plenty of choices out there of which X10 was already suggested. TrendNet has some interesting products too.

Then you have to make sure you have your computer and router all set up to properly serve the data to the web and you may need to work on that. If you have your cable/dsl modem on all the time and your IP address is static, you should be ok. But if you turn off your modem a lot and your ISP constantly gives you a new IP, your phone won't be able to access the data so you'll need to look into a dynamic IP solution like using dyndns. Should be relatively simple but can be confusing if you've never done it before.

Once that's done, you might not even need an app on the phone and can access the streaming via a browser like Dolphin HD. Luckily there are several apps out there you can try for free and possibly buy the one you like for ad-free versions or even Pro versions with more features. But you'd want to set up the cameras and server stuff first before you even get to the phone.

There are plenty of options and they are all different so you have some research to do, unfortunately.

Natey2

Reaction score
X10 devices (my experience) are sensitive to line noise on the power lines. Signals do get lost if you have some types of fluorecent fixtures, surge suppressors, etc. on the circuit X10 operates on.
Test before making big investments. My $0. 02

scarrz

Reaction score
Most webcams today offer the option of enabling remote view. You would probably have to open the ports on your router to enable this. I have had good luck with Trendnet ip cameras that use either wifi or an ethernet connection to stream video from the house. Like I said most will need some configuration change on your router to view them remotely. Not sure about a specific apps, many companies write them specific to their cameras. Good luck.

I want to set up spy cams around my home to keep an eye on things and my seven dogs can anybody point me to the right app and a place to buy the cams to hook to my computer over wifi if that's better but would need to be able to view anytime from my X

OP
Lady_DroidX

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
Yes I did post anyone with all this Gb stuff its like the world has stopped with all other questions anyway thank you everyone who took the time to post thank you for all the info I will be looking into some cams today

freqz

Reaction score
If this is the info your looking for, I currently have 2 True Foscam FI8908W's. They are both wifi and I have them set with a dyndns. They also have IR sprayers so they can see in true darkness.

I can control them with my DX with IP Cam viewer or Tiny Cam Monitor. Meaning, I can pan or tilt them.

Another cool feature I use when on vacation is the motion detection. The cameras ( when they detect motion ) will start uploading snapshots to a web server and also send me and my wife emails alerting. I usually get the email's in 20 seconds from the detection.

Best of all the cameras were about 75 bucks each shipped.

Only have 2 now, but once I move I'll be picking up at least 2 more for inside and a few for outside as well.

crashmw

Reaction score
Good thread. I wonder if Lady found a solution?
I just purchased the Foscam 18918W to put in baby room. Works great inside the house, but I have yet to figure out how to gain access via web.
D/L'd the IP Cam View for the Bionic but need to figure out port forwarding or go the dyndns route. Also found another potential path with PortForward dot com, and they have a $30 program to port forward for me, but I do not want to go that route in the event that it works, I will have learned nothing.
If anyone knows how to port forward on the 2-wire 3800 router, I would be much obliged.
Or how to view on Bionic INSIDE our home network would also be helpful, and a good first step. Right now, the only way to view is on a PC in our office. The wife would like to view anywhere inside the house, or even outside the house (this goes back to web interface...)
TIA
MW

OP
Lady_DroidX

Lady_DroidX

Reaction score
No never did my computer crashed and I'm now about to build a new one