Droid x 2.3.15 software update

Jakefreese

Reaction score
I am a newbie, and searched for this my phone keeps trying to update and I postpone it to later. Should I allow this update? I do want to root it soon as I can figure it all out and get rid of the bloatware but I am still sifting through the threads trying to figure it all out the firmware is 2.1 update 1 and build is vzw.

Thanks!!dancedroid

kk4df

Reaction score
You can avoid the update if you do one of the following: 1. Root the phone, then install the Koush bootstrap program, run it, and select the Bootstrap (top) option, and 2. Root the phone, then rename the otacerts.zip file to something else.

If you choose option 1 to buy you some time, there's still an easy way to remove the Koush bootstrap if you decide to let the OTA update happen. But either method requires you to root the phone first.

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Hold in mind most of the people having problems with the update are the ones who rooted and deleted bloatware. The other most reported problem is with SMS messages are displayed. Verizon says a fix is on the way.

My take on it, and only mine.

If you don't do a lot of SMS, update now and root after. If you do a lot of SMS then wait for the Verizon update and then root.

Rooting first is something I'd do only after I checked to make sure the root is fully reversible and several people have tested it.

Definitely do not delete the bloatware until after the update. Several people have reported needing to reinstall it to get the update to work.

Disclaimer: I have not rooted my phone. My advice is on the cautious side of the equation. Maybe overly so.

uconnkid3219

Reaction score
OK... I haven't ever rooted my Droid X and don't ever plan to. I personally just don't see much of a point when the phone does everything I could ever want it to anyways. Yeah, it'd be nice to get rid of the bloatware... but at the same time, the phone is still incredibly fast so it's not like the bloatware slows it down or anything (and with 40GB storage, space sure as hell isn't an issue lol).

Regardless, the only issues I've noticed with the phone (as someone mentioned above) are text messages not being in order of time received/sent and 1-2 other very, very minor issues that aren't even occurring anymore. Again, as someone mentioned Verizon/Moto (whoever is responsible, I'm not sure) is "working on" getting out an update to fix the text message bug.

**In the meantime, there is an app called "chompSMS" that fixes the bug people are experiencing in regards to text messages not being in the correct order of time received/sent. If having the messages in this order does not bother you, then don't bother downloading the chompSMS app... because that is the only bug I've noticed/heard of with the text messages.

Bottom Line: Definitely upgrade to the 2.3.15 (referred to as 2.2 and/or Froyo on here) firmware. It is Adobe Flash Player 10.1 enabled, which means that you can view any websites that are made with Flash or contain Flash videos/games. That is just one of the new features to the update... but I personally LOVE it even with the very minor bugs I've run into (all of which I'm not even experiencing anymore except for the text message one).

If you are rooted (which you said you are not, so I assumed you aren't), then ignore this entire post and take the advice of someone else on here that knows how to do all that stuff. Be careful rooting, though, because it obviously voids your warranty and you won't be able to download future firmware upgrades (from what I've heard at least). Not really worth it in my opinion... but everyone is different! If those downsides to rooting didn't exist I can guarantee I'd be rooted as well lol.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
This was my first Android device I was always a Blackberry user, and I got the phone and started reading this forum. I ended up rooting my 2.1 after the first week or so and I have been very pleased. For me personally it is being able to have control over a device I paid for IE; deciding what apps are and are not on it. I have no need for Skype, Blockbuster, City ID, Amazon MP3, and a couple others. So there should be no reason for them to be running.

Now with this new upgrade though, I am still on the first leak of 2.2 rooted with BlackGlass Theme. I am not planning on going to the "official" any time soon, as I don't see a point to it. There is nothing that version has that I don't, and nothing that does not work on mine that does on the "official". And with that there is not SBF besides the one to get you to stock 2.2 rooted 2.3.13 I believe it is. So while that is better than nothing I would still rather be able to go back to 2.1 stock no root.

Plus you don't just get to remove bloatware with root, you also get the root only apps such as Bootstrap recovery, rom manager, root explorer, tether (for free), cache mate. I will vote root a phone all the way since I have read up on it and know what I am doing. But I do recommend doing the same if you go that route, to make sure you know what you are doing and how to undo it if something happens.

They are real big on the whole Droid does saying, so Droid should do what you want. Grab it by the short and curlies and root that bad boy and show it what is up. Plus you get the cool ninja dude in the app drawer.

kman79

Reaction score
Has anyone pulled the OTA 2.3.15 update.zip yet?

To the OP, if you plan to update to the OTA update, could you please pull the update from your phone before updating it? I mean, you can download the update, but before you install it, can you pull the update from the cache of your phone and save it to SD and post it?

I'm sure a lot of people including myself could use a clean install of the official 2.3.15.

I'm thinking it could also help those who are stuck at the M screen, if they can at least get to recovery mode, there's a chance the official 2.3.15 update.zip file could help them out? No?

liferefugee

Reaction score
Read over the directions for rooting with 2.2 and if you feel comfortable with the risks then go for it after the update. Remember once you update to 2.2 there is currently no return to 2.1

As for the text bug... Just download handcent. Have had no issues on 2.2 with it and text order. Then again I tend to delete texts I don't need to keep.

For the record, rooting opens up so much for the phone and if you take your time to understand what you are doing the risk of bricking, and I mean completely bricking your phone is pretty low. Just don't try to go back to 2.1 once you take the ota and always do your homework on how to reverse anything you do, take backups, and verify what you want to use is meant for your firmware version.

Typed with Swype on my Droid X and sent with Tapatalk.

kman79

Reaction score
How do I pull the update? I just asked it to download.

Hey, I've read that it's in the Cache folder of your phone, not in the SD.

I had already updated the phone before I found that info out on the internet, so I couldn't verify. But if you could, please check, and let us know, thanks.