Droid won't completely connect to my Wi-Fi

Ace_437

Reaction score
Finally got my router back online and it's working fine. Try connecting to it with the Droid, and I get stuck at "obtaining IP address.....". If I disconnect and try a different open network it works just fine. I've got my router setup with WPA security, but typed in the correct key. I get past that point but am stuck at the damn IP step. Any ideas?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Go into the advanced settings for your wifi (on your Droid) and set a static IP address. I have the same problem with my Droid, I use a Linksys WRT54G router. My Coby Kryos tablet that runs Android 2.1 also has this issue. Not sure which router you have, but I can say for a fact that the WRT54G v2.1 does not play nice with 2.1 or 2.2 in DHCP mode. Back when the Droid was running Android 2.0; I don't remember having to use static IP.

OP
A

Ace_437

Reaction score
Go into the advanced settings for your wifi (on your Droid) and set a static IP address. I have the same problem with my Droid, I use a Linksys WRT54G router. My Coby Kryos tablet that runs Android 2.1 also has this issue. Not sure which router you have, but I can say for a fact that the WRT54G v2.1 does not play nice with 2.1 or 2.2 in DHCP mode. Back when the Droid was running Android 2.0; I don't remember having to use static IP.

I've got the same router. :) I'll try that.

OP
A

Ace_437

Reaction score
So I don't see the option to enter an IP address for the phone. Where are the advanced settings?

mr_silent

Reaction score
When your looking at the list of wifi networks, press menu and select advanced settings. I'm not sure, but I think your isp needs to support static ip, although It won't hurt to try.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
A

Ace_437

Reaction score
Still can't get it to work. What a PITA. It connected once, but the internet wouldn't go anywhere. I added in a subnet mask and default gateway, but it didn't help. Any other ideas?

OP
A

Ace_437

Reaction score
Fixed it. I upgraded the firmware of my router and now it work like a charm. So much faster than using the Verizon network for data!

It must have to do with the older WRT54G's.