Droid: Text Messages sent to wrong people..

Gillatine

Reaction score
Does anyone else have their Motorola Droid send text messages to the wrong people? I mean, I send a message to " Lisa" and it gets sent to my uncle. Or I try to reply to my uncle and it gets sent to " Carmen". It's that bad. It's happened on two Droid phones now and it's never been as bad as last night, before I didn't mind it so much but this seriously pisses me off now.

I cleared all of my text messages then retried, and when I went to my contacts to text someone, when I clicked on the text option it went back to someone elses name instead.. I restarted my phone and it seems fixed for now, but that's totally unacceptable. A 200$ phone should not be doing that.

I'm not usually a person to complain, but I had to make an account here just for that.

Also, I bought my original Droid in November. I got a replacement a month or two ago when the guy at a verizon store in a mall said that the power button was broke. So it's two different phones that have done it.

Tjaden

Reaction score
I've had a similar issue. My phoen will delete all its texts, then when I try and start a new text the name says one thing, but sends it to someone else. I usually find after rebooting the phone it doesnt have that issue after the "crash" you can call it I suppose.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Maybe you need to resync your contacts.

Go into settings: applications: all(tab up top) find contacts and contacts storage and clear data in both. Back out and resync.

Sent from somewhere...

edspeez

Reaction score

Hey I just made a username to reply to this.....I have been having this problem since that Froyo update......I figured out a temporary solution.....it appears to be the contacts application that messes up. When all of your texts delete, you know it is going to happen, so go into applications and force close then re open your contacts. After you do this the problem is fixed.....temporarily.....Verizon is clueless as what to do about this I have been there over 10 times and I'm on my second phone

Card

Reaction score
Yep, this is an ongoing problem. Generally, it seems to happen to me right after my texts get wiped out. Rebooting seems to solve the issue, and the SMS Backup and Restore app from the Market automatically backs up my texts.

It's a shame that this is still an issue (and has been seemingly since 2.1), but I'm not aware of any kind of permanent solution.

authorwjf

Reaction score
Android Phones Play “Chat-Roulette” With Your Text Messages
I have always been a big fan of Google Android phones. Sure the user interface may not be as polished as the iPhone. I admit the Exchange support might not be as tightly integrated as it is on the Blackberry. But, I’m a geek and I’m willing to put up with some annoyances as a trade-off for speed and flexibility and customization. And I’m not alone. Market researchers Canalys and NPD Group both recently published reports stating Android was running on > 40% of all smart phones in the United States. It would seem Android is destined for dominance.
Except somewhere along the way, Google seems to have forgotten first and foremost Android phones need to be phones. And that is why I’m seriously considering making the move to Blackberry or Windows Phone 7. For the last six months now I’ve been dealing with a huge flaw that makes my phone unusable for SMS texting. From what I’ve been able to tell using analytics provided by Google’s developer site, as many as 77% of Android phone users are at risk of having their text messages sent to a random contact.
That sounds unlikely right? I mean you pay upwards of $200 for a smart phone, and next to making phone calls, sending SMS text messages is probably the most used feature of the phone. But it’s true, and if you don’t believe me just type “android SMS wrong contact” into Google’s search engine and see how many hits you get. It’s astounding. It’s happening. And Google seems to be ignoring it altogether.
The first time I responded to a text message from recipient A, and it went to recipient B, I just wrote it off to user error. I was in a hurry. I fat fingered it. Who knows, right? In time though I’ve begun to qualify and quantify this serious bug and disaster waiting to happen. The worst part is you don’t even know your text message went to the wrong person until you get a call or new message from someone in your contact list asking “what was that last message all about?”
On the sender’s phone, the text message actually shows as sent to the correct recipient, yet I’ve been able to get all three parties with their phones to sit down in one room and verify that in fact the intended recipient did not receive my text, and a random contact did. I will put up with a lot of minor issues for a cool phone, but having my privacy threatened is not one of them.
What irks me the most is that owners of these phones, me included, have no recourse. The bug is part of the core operating system, and has been since Android 2.1, (though it seems worse with 2.2). Phone model doesn’t matter. Using a third-party SMS application won’t help. Contact your phone carrier and you will be told to do a factory reset then call the phone manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer and you will be told to do a factory reset then get in touch with your carrier. This is a flaw with Google’s code so how is it they managed to slip out of the support loop altogether?
Ah, I think now we have reached the heart of the problem haven’t we? By making it an open source solution, Google isn’t really accountable. Or are they? I guess that depends on you and me. Google has a vested interest in fixing any flaws that are impacting their continued effort for world smart phone dominance. If those of us who have made this platform so successful for them draw a line in the sand perhaps someone at Google will take notice.
The issue at hand has been logged in the Google forums for some time now. Sadly, it’s rated as only having a priority of “medium” and I’ve yet to see anyone from Google comment on the current state. I would urge any of you who have Android phones to log into the Google forum and star the issue. The link is here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9392. In the mean time, I’m going to continue evaluating some of the new Windows phone offerings. Just in case Google decides new UI bounce effects on widgets are more important than where my SMS text messages end up.

macmcdougal

Reaction score
'small' issues

Well, where do I begin...

I love my Droid except for the battery life and the text entanglement. I've sent so many 'inappropriate' texts to people that its not even funny.

Two days ago I went to play trivia with a friend. One of my other friends, Rob, who is Asian, is the trivia host. He loves telling the crowd how great Asians are, but he also talks about the 'size' of certain members, among other jokes he likes to crack.

Last week, I texted my friend, who went home to Michigan for the holidays. This was our conversation:

Me: "We played trivia last night. Rob asked about you."
Lindsay: "He wants me."
Me: "Oh really? As much as he talks about size?? Haha I can see it now, 'Is it in yet? Oh, it is? Sorry...'"

Sorry to go into such a detailed response. Oh, the point is that I accidentally sent that last comment about size to my mom. She definitely didn't reply.

Damn Droid. If someone finds a solution, please let me know!

Orchi

Reaction score
I get this problem constantly.. I've had 9 droids, and soon I will have no more or number 10.. still trying to decide... But on every phone I had this issue.. I'd betexting tons of people, then all of my texts would be deleted and I'd start sending random texts, extra... I discoverd if I puleld out my battery, rebooted the phone, then went into my contacts its fixed it and I could tell who I had sent the "random texts to".

macmcdougal

Reaction score
I think I figured out what happens, but no solution for it. Confirm on your phones if this is what happens...

When you pull up the wrong message, look and see who it is. Click the back button and go to the main messaging window. Regardless of which way your phone is turned, scroll the screen UP to the text that is just off the bottom of the screen. This is the person you almost texted. Am I right?

I'm going to Verizon now. We'll see what happens... will keep you posted. Mac

chrisbdz

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem. Clicking on thread msg from contact A but instead thread msg from contact B opens up.

FYI - I just read this article today:

Android text messaging bugs acknowledged, fixes in the works

Android text messaging bugs acknowledged, fixes in the works

by Samuel Gibbs on January 6, 2011 at 04:30 AM
FILED UNDER: apps, cellphones, google, android
http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...ng-bugs-acknowledged-fixes-in-the-works/print

Google has come out and officially acknowledged that Android has two SMS messaging problems, but that a fix is in the works. The bug, which can take two forms, essentially revolves around the miss co-ordination of contact-to-message linking. While the first issue -- opening a text message from one contact and getting an entirely different message being displayed -- is annoying, the second one -- sending a message to a contact and having it delivered to a totally separate one -- is much more critical. Imagine sending intimate text messages to your spouse only to have them routed to your boss -- how are you going to explain that one?

While Google works on a fix, we're advising caution when messaging for all Android users -- because you never know who's actually going to receive that saucy sext.

slick_city

Reaction score
text message to wrong contact

This text messaging problem is ridiculous. Especially considering, they've known about this for long enough now. We’ve all spent good money for these phones. I think the only way to get attention is to make it a public issue. How can we go about that? If this ever got media attention, Google would take a huge hit and have to fix the problem. Any ideas?

joeinor

Reaction score
I finally just installed an sms app. It is cooler than the factory app anyway. I chose goSMS.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums