Droid screen won't display

Der

Reaction score
I was was using a protractor app in my class this morning and suddenly the bottom half of the screen turned a pink/purple color and it froze up. I took out the battery to reboot but it only want to the "M" screen and showed a blank screen after that (no boot screen). It shows the same thing when I try and boot into recovery.

I tried booting into recovery a few hours later and it showed the screen a little vertically offset and wouldn't respond to any controls. I tried rebooting into recovery again and it was blank again. Sometimes when I try to boot into recover I see some pixels on the top of the screen displaying white dots, but nothing discernible.

The backlight turns on and the "back, menu, home and search" buttons light up when I press the hold/unhold button after I try booting it normally. It's also receiving notifications because my green light is flashing.

I'm running the most recent clockwork and UD The phone was functioning fine since I flashed the rom a couple days ago, and the battery was at around 90%

I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem because I can't flash a nandroid backup since my recovery isn't working (which may mean it's a hardware problem or something deeper than just the OS)

EDIT: I just tried booting up the phone again and whole screen displays a grey static. (no M screen or anything, it goes straight to the static)

Last edited:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Definately sounds like a hardware failure to me.

I'm seeing more and more folks with this and I am not liking this, the phone is almost a year old . . . .

OP
D

Der

Reaction score
Agh, I only got it in February and this happened. Since I'm rooted, will I not be able to get a replacement or have it covered under warranty? If it can't boot into recovery or display anything at all will they be able to tell if I'm rooted or not?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
What you see is what they see. However, if you're really worried about turning in a phone with personal data on it (and I know I would be), I'd flash a stock SBF back on it. It's possible even with a screen that doesn't work as long as it powers on and the bootloader itself isn't corrupted.

OP
D

Der

Reaction score
Ok, that's nice to know because I can't see jack with this. And my computer won't even recognize my phone after following that guide, so I'm not sure what messed it up so bad.

Do you know if I'll get another Droid 1 after I file the claim? I heard about people getting Droid 2s or Incredibles but I don't want to give up the rom freedom my D1 has. I guess I'll just have to deal with whatever I get though.

Also, I am covered by Asurion.

Last edited: