Droid rebooting after answering phone

slinky

Reaction score
Now it's getting annoying. I've had the phone reboot itself several times after taking it off of the Seidio dock and also after a few times after answering phone calls. I love my Droid for the most part and it worked pretty darn well with version 2.0, no reboots. The update has caused it not to function as well as it used to. It's going to be time to unfortunately do a total wipe of the phone and hope for the best. I doubt this is a sudden hardware issue.

The fact is that this kind of problem should not happen. As I posted in another thread, the phone app should be rock solid and unaffected by other apps which are either kept in a sandbox of sorts or however Blackberry and Apple have been able to get that to work solidly. This is not a "well maybe this is not the phone for you" answer but one that I'm hoping Google or someone can address and hopefully we can get solved. If the phone doesn't work reliably, you don't have much.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
If your phone is stock (not rooted or OC'd) I'd recommend un-installing all the apps you have on there that could be running in the background and see if the weirdness goes away.

Then try re-installing one app a day and see if you can trigger a failure, then un-install the last app you put on there and see if it goes away.

All smartphones crash, trust me it happens on Blackberries and Windows Mobile devices quite a bit. WM devices need to be rebooted every single day in order to keep Exchange connectivity and BBs have a tendency for the trackball to just stop working or for the OS to completely freeze, which necessitates a battery pull. WebOS phones crash quite often, for example my Palm Pre crashed so much I learned how to do a soft reset while driving (hold down power and slide the top switch over and back three times). Apple is fortunate enough to be able to convince their customers that their crippled OS (no multi-tasking) is sufficient enough. Non-multitasking operating systems have less to worry about (process scheduling and memory management) than multitasking operating systems.

If the thing still flakes with all the apps removed, then take it into Verizon, it shouldn't be behaving that way. You may also want to send Seidio an e-mail asking them if anyone has reported reboots when using their dock.

Good Luck,
Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your phone is stock (not rooted or OC'd) I'd recommend un-installing all the apps you have on there that could be running in the background and see if the weirdness goes away.

Then try re-installing one app a day and see if you can trigger a failure, then un-install the last app you put on there and see if it goes away.

All smartphones crash, trust me it happens on Blackberries and Windows Mobile devices quite a bit. WM devices need to be rebooted every single day in order to keep Exchange connectivity and BBs have a tendency for the trackball to just stop working or for the OS to completely freeze, which necessitates a battery pull. WebOS phones crash quite often, for example my Palm Pre crashed so much I learned how to do a soft reset while driving (hold down power and slide the top switch over and back three times). Apple is fortunate enough to be able to convince their customers that their crippled OS (no multi-tasking) is sufficient enough. Non-multitasking operating systems have less to worry about (process scheduling and memory management) than multitasking operating systems.

If the thing still flakes with all the apps removed, then take it into Verizon, it shouldn't be behaving that way. You may also want to send Seidio an e-mail asking them if anyone has reported reboots when using their dock.

Good Luck,
Mike

Instead of deleting all apps I'd say just do a factory data reset out of your privacy section. That way you can reinstall your apps right out of your downloads and you'll clean up any other junk that's on your phone.

Contacts will be saved by gmail so they should return as soon as you log back into gmail and your phone. SD card is not affected.

mcapozzi

Reaction score

Good Luck,
Mike

Instead of deleting all apps I'd say just do a factory data reset out of your privacy section. That way you can reinstall your apps right out of your downloads and you'll clean up any other junk that's on your phone.

Contacts will be saved by gmail so they should return as soon as you log back into gmail and your phone. SD card is not affected.

That would work as well. I would focus on removing apps that have a tendency to start in the background (widgets, SMS, VoIP) when the phone boots up. Apps such as games usually only cause problems when they are actually running.

-Mike

OP
slinky

slinky

Reaction score
I have no widgets except a calendar widget that many use. I have almost no services except ringuard and mylock (which no longer works for reasons I can't explain) and an app called financista which many use. That's it. No sms replacements, nothing fancy.

I hate Android and the cloud for this very reason - a factory reset means spending HOURS getting my phone back to where it was, painfull downloading each and every app and then hoping that you can use myBackup to re-add the data back into the phone and work properly. The Blackberry, WM and even the iPhone had quick restores and to earlier dates. Palm OS was great too. But with all these wanna be service based clouds, it doesn't even back up your app data and you're hosed if your phone is lost and restore is never fun. Not a fan of "the cloud."

I guess that is what I'm going to have to do. And PS, no, the phone is not supposed to crash EVEN WITH a badly coded app. The phone app is supposed to be sandboxed. Answering the phone should have nothing to do with anything else. An example of how questionable I think Android is still coded in areas is with the camera app. My phone gets all jerky when that is triggered and even when it wakes up and the Camera app was used before and it makes everything wait until the camera app is loaded and happy. And they didn't even give us any way to NOT use the camera button to trigger the camera (thank you Motorola... you couldn't have given us a button assign for the camera in your sad 2.1 update?)

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I have no widgets except a calendar widget that many use. I have almost no services except ringuard and mylock (which no longer works for reasons I can't explain) and an app called financista which many use. That's it. No sms replacements, nothing fancy.

I hate Android and the cloud for this very reason - a factory reset means spending HOURS getting my phone back to where it was, painfull downloading each and every app and then hoping that you can use myBackup to re-add the data back into the phone and work properly. The Blackberry, WM and even the iPhone had quick restores and to earlier dates. Palm OS was great too. But with all these wanna be service based clouds, it doesn't even back up your app data and you're hosed if your phone is lost and restore is never fun. Not a fan of "the cloud."

I guess that is what I'm going to have to do. And PS, no, the phone is not supposed to crash EVEN WITH a badly coded app. The phone app is supposed to be sandboxed. Answering the phone should have nothing to do with anything else. An example of how questionable I think Android is still coded in areas is with the camera app. My phone gets all jerky when that is triggered and even when it wakes up and the Camera app was used before and it makes everything wait until the camera app is loaded and happy. And they didn't even give us any way to NOT use the camera button to trigger the camera (thank you Motorola... you couldn't have given us a button assign for the camera in your sad 2.1 update?)

Name one smartphone in the history of multi-tasking smartphones that did not at some point in time crash completely??? Since there are hundreds of thousands of fully functional units out there (plus millions of other Andorid handsets), I doubt the Droid (or any phone) is a dud. Your particular handset maybe, but certainly not the platform as a whole.

If you can find one that never ever crashed, then buy it... Blackberries crash a lot, even running just the built in apps. The 8830's trackball and keyboard have a tendency to stop working completely. Without the input devices, the phone is completely useless.

iPhones crash too (completely frozen, incapable of doing anything but rebooting), so once again, good luck finding your "dream" phone because honestly your "dream" phone doesn't exist.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

-Mike