DROID razr is screwed!!! Immidiate help please!

chuck54

Reaction score
If I plug my charger half way into this razr, a white light comes on. I can't turn on the razr when plugged in fully, half way with the white light, unplugged, or unplugged with the white light, (which happens when unplugged from the half position ....

I tried all four charging scenarios and added the volume down button, but no dice .... still won't turn on, no charging battery screen, no boot logo, nothing....

It's the regular droid razr, it just took the update to ics. It would bootloop like this before, but the fix would be the volume down + power buttons.... ics must have broke this?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
this is almost definitely not ice cream sandwich but more likely, almost definitely a result of the battery and meter not being in calibration. The boot looping you describe it is a perfect example of symptoms related to batteries that are severely discharged. also the white light of death is another example of symptoms evidentiary of batteries that are deep discharged.

Getting it to charge is the first step and that's not an easy task. Once charging has begun, the process to get the phone working normally and prevent this from happening in the future is to calibrate the battery and meter.

Focusing on getting the battery to charge, will involve either using a couple of techniques to trick the phone into allowing the battery to receive a charge, are referring to more dramatic measures such as removal of the back cover and direct charging the battery, or purchasing/fashioning and using a factory data programming cable.

There are plenty here on this forum that will be able to help you, but your best results will be from the smartphone battery discussion forum. I am moving this thread to that form for your benefit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay folks we got another phone with a dead battery that won't take a charge. How about we give this guy a hand?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
chuck54

chuck54

Reaction score
Well I have a charger with the red and black cords spliced (im fixing everybodys phones in Iowa I guess .... how do I take the cover off of a razr without a tool?

Ps, it was booted into ics, i figured you would want to know what build its on...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
2.5 ft Micro USB Factory Cable Fastboot mode for Motorola Xoom Droid Razr Atrix | eBayHere's an eBay dealer for the cables from China, I believe. They actually get good ratings, you may wait a little longer, but the cost is hard to beat compared to Factory style programming cable (for Motorola) who charge a lot ($25 and I don't know what shipping costs are) and are presently "out of stock", or Fastboot Motorola Factory Cable - Unbrick Droid Xoom Fire - Ships from Calif. | eBay who are somewhat less ($23 including shipping from California).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well I have a charger with the red and black cords spliced (im fixing everybodys phones in Iowa I guess .... how do I take the cover off of a razr without a tool?

Ps, it was booted into ics, i figured you would want to know what build its on...

Taking the cover off is surprisingly easy, but requires patience. Anything thin and stiff (such as a plastic butter knife) but not metal (or it will scratch, bend, dent, cut, or otherwise damage the cover), is inserted into the slot between the back half and the middle band (black rubbery feeling), and with a gentle prying or twisting action it should give. It's usually best to start at a corner...the preferred corner is the bottom right when looking at the front.

Once you have it loosened, run the plastic knife (some use their fingernail) up the side and tweak the case open along the way. There are several catches on each edge, and as you work your way around the phone it will eventually let go. Now comes the hard part...the case cover is affixed to the battery by a double-sided tape application. GENTLY and FIRMLY but with CAUTION, begin to separate the back from the phone. I've found slow and easy is the best way to prevent bending the back or tearing the adhesive.

Eventually it will break free.

See [video=youtube;78gJRP8NzRA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78gJRP8NzRA[/url].

or http://www.techrepublic.com/videos/cracking-open/cracking-open-motorola-droid-razr/6332522,

or http://www.zort.tv/vLlvUWSKd5Lf_[/v... minute just to detach the double-sided tape.

OP
chuck54

chuck54

Reaction score
Alright, and then red is positive and black is negative?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You got it!