Droid RAZR HD update sucks

mrfun2fly

Reaction score
I've updated my droid w the new kit kat update and am sad now.
Since the faxtory app wont group text I have an alternative texting app. However when I want to use the original factory text program it won't let me unless I make it my default text option.
This was not an issue before the "latest and greatest" update.
Anyone know how to use my factory texting app w out making it my default text?

pbandami

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop
Watch out for falling rocks from above - KitKat 4.2.2 has been thrust on us.

mrfun2fly - I have 2 phones that got the update to 4.2.2. After disastrous results when I updated my SGS4, I have chosen to forgo this user unfriendly update on my MOTOROLA DROID RAZR HD. And Google/Verizon DOES want it's users to install this update - twice a day, I am greeted with a full screen pop-up reminder encouraging me to install NOW. This accompanied by the corporate tag line extolling the awe and wonder of KitKat 4.2.2. If it's all the same to Google, I'll* continue to tap install LATER (much later)!

I have a messaging App that I've used over the last three incarnations of Android. Some of the features of this third party Play SMS/MMS messaging App were suddenly "appropriated" by the stock messaging App. After utilizing a stock-only feature, I was forced to jump through the appropriate hoops to ensure my preferred messaging App would revert to my default, until the next time I'm forced to use a stock messaging feature that pre-4.2.2 was being handled quite well with my Play App (Handcent SMS).
I guess I could have begrudgingly adapted to that little "quirk," but KitKat 4.2.2 has incorporated "security" updates that basically transformed* my 64 GB SD Card into an expensive piece of ROM.
I scoured the forums and blogs, and I did learn that users that have rooted phones can bypass this Machiavellian restriction. But I'm just one of those people that doesn't want to take the risks involved with rooting. Well, that and the fact that I don't possess the tech know how to even attempt that procedure.
As I understand the new external SD card restrictions, Apps native to the phone have full read/write access. The Apps I* installed that were previously able to have read/write interaction with the external SD Card were now relegated to the "read only" - the nose-bleed stadium seats. Such an Apps carried out their functions perfectly on pre-install Tuesday, but on post-install Wednesday, KitKat 4.2.2 has moved the Apps write functions to the internal hard drive. I found myself moving files from my external SD Card TO my internal memory to ensure the seamless function and operation of those Apps that heretofore created, edited and deleted files stored on the SD Card.
I know there are exceptions as to when certain Apps are permitted elevated access to the SD Card, and I am certain that Developers are working on incorporating a fix, but this restriction, when I first encountered it using my FX Explorer App, reminded me of the frustration and helplessness I experienced the first time Microsoft told me that I was not authorized to perform an action on my computer, logged in under my Administrator account. I've sidestepped those Microsoft restrictions in each of the last three incarnations of Windows. At This point, I have no clue as to the process I might take bypass these restrictions, no matter how excogitate my little gray cells.* Well,* other than rooting.

Sent from my MOTOROLA DROID RAZR HD

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I personally use Textra and find it to be far better than any stock messaging app. My stock messaging app freezes up now, possibly due to the amount of messages, but Textra loads them up quickly without a hiccup. I've personally found just about any popular 3rd party messaging app to outperform the stock messaging app.

OP
M

mrfun2fly

Reaction score
I personally use Textra and find it to be far better than any stock messaging app. My stock messaging app freezes up now, possibly due to the amount of messages, but Textra loads them up quickly without a hiccup. I've personally found just about any popular 3rd party messaging app to outperform the stock messaging app.
I've been forced to install Textra and like the speed of it. I don't like that it wont choose email address's I have in my contact file when sending a text but instead I have to type the email address in. Do you know of a way Textra will let me choose an email address so I don't type it in?
Thanks,
Lee