droid pro or CPO issues?

imbatman58

Reaction score
So I went Certified Preowned and got a droid pro. The first one game with a small chip in the screen. It was tiny but it shouldn't have been there so I got a replacement. This one was in perfect shape but it resets itself several times a day. The people at the local Verizon store said to send it back and get another replacement. Is the pro not a solid phone? I really like it but I am a little worried. Has anyone else gone CPO or know of any issues with Verizons CPO program?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So I went Certified Preowned and got a droid pro. The first one game with a small chip in the screen. It was tiny but it shouldn't have been there so I got a replacement. This one was in perfect shape but it resets itself several times a day. The people at the local Verizon store said to send it back and get another replacement. Is the pro not a solid phone? I really like it but I am a little worried. Has anyone else gone CPO or know of any issues with Verizons CPO program?
The Pro originally had a random reboot issue but the most recent update (May I think) fixed that problem in most cases. Check to see if your Pro has the latest update applied...Menu>settings>About Phone>System Updates. If there is an update available for your phone you should download it and install it.

Option: If your phone does have the latest update from Verizon then you could update the OS from Froyo to Gingerbread 2.3.3 (I suspect your phone is still on Froyo 2.2.xxxx). Those who have updated to Gingerbread (to include myself) have not reported the same random reboots that we experienced with Froyo. The update.zip file and instructions to update to Gingerbread can be found in this forum. CAUTION: The update to Gingerbread is not an "official" Verizon update even though the update.zip file came from Verizon...that explanation is another post all together.

Last edited:
OP
imbatman58

imbatman58

Reaction score
The first pro I had, although the screen had a crack, it worked much better. I think it is the phone in this case. The updates were current. I run almost identical apps on this I ran on the one with the crack.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
The first pro I had, although the screen had a crack, it worked much better. I think it is the phone in this case. The updates were current. I run almost identical apps on this I ran on the one with the crack.
Returning your phone might be your best bet then. I don't know what apps you have installed but don't rule out a 3rd Party app causing you the reboot problem.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
To answer your original question about the Pro being a solid phone. I think it is one of the best android phones you can buy, depending on what you want in a smartphone. With the latest updates, to include that non-official update to Gingerbread, the Pro is as reliable, solid performer as any Android phone on the market...my opinion. That's not to say it couldn't be improved by a little larger screen, better resolution, upgraded processor (dual core) and 4G capable.

google123

Reaction score
The Pro is a very solid phone. The Pro 2 or the SuperPro, if it ever comes, will be even better I believe. I hope. It should be thinner, faster, and have a bigger/higher-res screen at least. :)

OP
imbatman58

imbatman58

Reaction score
I am trusting you guys on this one. I ordered my 3rd pro last night. Hope this one works.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I am trusting you guys on this one. I ordered my 3rd pro last night. Hope this one works.
I don't think you will regret it. As you can see, if you haven't already, the OFFICIAL update to Gingerbread is out. So, when you get your new phone do a menu>settings>About Phone>udates. That will get you the official Gingerbread update for your phone.

OP
imbatman58

imbatman58

Reaction score
saw that this morning
even though my new (hopefully last) pro comes today I couldn't resist getting it on my currently screwed up pro
it definitely looks prettier.... are there any functional changes?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
saw that this morning
even though my new (hopefully last) pro comes today I couldn't resist getting it on my currently screwed up pro
it definitely looks prettier.... are there any functional changes?
Yes, it does look a lot more polished. I think the color's used in all panels and screens is so much more attractive than those in Froyo. I haven't heard of anyone getting the random reboots with Gingerbread, some claim better battery life, there are a few added features/apps like Books, Task and a couple others (don't remember exactly). The phone generally works faster and smoother. Transition from one screen/app to another seems to be faster and less "jerky". They evidently took away the ability to tether without rooting the phone or subscribing to Verizon' extended data plans for tethering...I never used that function anyway. Generally speaking...it is just a faster, smoother and better looking operating system. Oh, it now includes the ability to the encryption of data to the SD card.

OP
imbatman58

imbatman58

Reaction score
Rich location is a new thing I think. Anyone really know what this does?

OP
imbatman58

imbatman58

Reaction score
I got the third CPO Friday and it works like a charm!