Droid no longer says 'DROOIIIDD' on start up?

OP
S

Shade2074

Reaction score
Does it still happen after you do a factory reset?

yeah we've started to compile a list of apps we have on our phones on the other thread... I've looked into my handcent app and the notification ringtone is already set on "default notification". I've even changed the notification ringtone manually to the sound that the default notification is set at, but still no luck

windstrings

Reaction score
I still get the digital ring when I reboot, but a few things I did figure out.

Unless the phone is rooted, you cannot write to the phone itself.. only the SD card.... so where all the files are kept for ringtones "protected read only" will be the only ones you can choose from for notifications for startup sound.

An app like ringdroid can take a custom sound file and save it as a notification, but it puts it in its own directory ie: sdcard\media\audio\notifications\
Note... the selection of notification sounds are very limited "unlike ringtones"

Somehow as long as you leave the file there that it creates "you can copy it somewhere else for safekeeping but a copy must remain in that location", then you will see it as a choice when you view your notification sounds.... if you take it away from that location, it won't work.

Seems the phone only see's that location because ringdroid wrote the pathway somewhere that the droid would recognize and accept, otherwise only the sounds on the phone itself can be chosen.. ie: system\media\audio\notifications\

There they are in .ogg format..... I converted a sound to .ogg but couldn't copy it there as its only read only.

So while I figured out how to make and keep custom ringtones that work when unplug\plug into the computer via usb, I still can't figure out where the pathway is for the actual startup sound.

It does have something to do with the SD card notification... it appears that part of the phone does not recognize ringdroids location too well and so if it has no location or pathway it defaults to the digital ringtone as evidenced when your hooked up with a cable and mount so your computer is hooked to the droid and then unmount..

The reason I know this is you can choose one of the default sounds that came with the phone... like droid or one of the others then it works as it can find the pathway!

Is this motorolas idea of keeping the default sounds intact or a weakness of ringdroid?...

I don't know.

So in short, you can use your custom notification tones for other things.... just not the SD card notification unless you want to hear a digital ring when your phone first starts up.

I personally like my custom sound well enough, I'm willing to hear a digital ring at startup just so I can hear my custom for everything else.

I'm assuming this little glitch is because there is a bug that causes it to look for a pathway to the notification sound too soon.... before the SD card is mounted during bootup, so it can't find your custom sound and since it can't see the SD card yet, it defaults to a digital ring?

So to condense this discovery down even farthur.... custom notification tones created in ringdroid work for everything except sd card notification and phone startup "same thing"

Hopefully this helps keep someone elses hair from being pulled out.

Last edited: