DROID Start-up issues- what's going on??

vajerzy

Reaction score
Hi All- currently my DROID starts up, spells DROID, goes to the eye, then shuts off, and starts again by rebooting. I took the battery out, started it again- same issue. Took the SD card out, same thing. Started last night when there was a power outage last during the snowstorm, that's when it started acting weird. Tried downloading updates this morning- got weird, now caught in the cycle. Phone is about 2 months old- anyone have some suggestions?

Mik

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
hmmmm...I think you may need to return it...cause thats not normal at all!! And also, if a battery pull doesn't fix that, then I really don't know what else could honestly...

Have you rooted and installed any ROMs in the past? Or done any kind of hacking to your Doid?

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
I haven't rooted it or done anything to it other than downloading apps. I have done searches on the tech forum and found similar problems. If I do a factory reset without the SD card- will the phone work? I'm concerned about losing contacts since I never actively backed upped my contacts.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Contacts and paid apps are all stored on your gmail account.....so don't worry about that, once you sign in to ANY Android phone all your contacts, email, apps, calender info, etc. will be there!! So yeah try that, see if it works....but, I'm not completely sure that that will make a difference...honestly...

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
Thanks!! I'll do a restart/reboot/factory reset and see what happens. I will let you know via this thread.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay good luck and I hope all goes well....but maybe go ahead and start thinking about returning it cause I really am not sure....it truly sounds fried from power outage you experienced....I've heard of Desktop Computers doing this for a long time so I think that may be the case...

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
Pushed power button and X, received a triangle- volume UP and camera, and saw a dos system asking for reboot. Did that, then started it up again- went through the tutorial- received some force close messages, got all the way through to activate the phone, did that- then it shut down. Did the same process again- tried actviting the phone again- didn't work- said to call an 800 number- then it shut down. Oh well- whenever the roads are cleared of snow- I will take it in to either Best Buy (where I bought it) or Verizon (where I bought the warranty).

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh man.....very sorry to hear that, that truly SUCKS. I'm sure they will replace it....maybe just tell them it quit working? No details....play dumb, you have no idea

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
Well nothing worked- called Verizon Wireless, they're sending me a new phone by Wed- reconditioned, like new. I reformatted my SD card so I'll have to load everything again. The guy said it sounds like the operating system. Anyways- thanks natediddy for your help!

IcyDroid

Reaction score
I wonder if during that power outage you had some sort of power surge before it shut off? I'm not sure if our OEM chargers have some sort of guard installed in them that would prevent it, other than the mechanism that shuts off the charge when fully charged.

It is very possible something came through your outlet. If you're still under warranty I'd say just go ahead and have them replace it.

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
I'm under warranty- bought it 2 months ago- and bought the extended warranty as well...the Verizon rep was very nice and didn't ask too many questions before he said he'll send another one out to me... make me think he's heard this before.

Skywatcher

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here to the forums.

This happened this morning to me also. The phone just kept rebooting itself, but would give me a little time to go into some things. I live in an extended area and thought it may be due to the wi-fi because I tend to get disconnected at my home often for no real reason and thought it may be screwing with it somehow. Well when I drove into a 3G area today it seemed to be fine and has been fine since.

I have rooted and installed bugless beast myself though. So I thought initially that was the problem, although I have been running that rom for a few days now.

When I got into the 3G area my phone did try downloading an unauthorized app. but did not allow the install. I don't have a clue what that was about.

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
Interesting....I thought I downloaded a bad app...mine started with force close of voice recorder, every time it tried self starting.....then the weatherbug widget looked weird- print wasn't aligned with the box and was off-centered....then the power outage, trying to update some apps...then crash. I've been using a network extender, and I get 3G some times- but it's all messed up new. My wife's blackberry storm is fine. Weird it crashed like that.....makes me think an app had something to do with it.

Skywatcher

Reaction score
Could be. One other app I deleted today because of this was the mobile defender one. I hadn' t completed the reg. for it so it kept popping up stated that I needed to complete reg. so I just deleted the thing thinking that may be it.

Lots of possibilities I guess.

OP
V

vajerzy

Reaction score
In any event, I'll have a new phone Wed so it could be worse. But I love the Droid- it's my electronic swiss army knife.