DROID Hints: The LONG Press and Menu Key

Laurence5905

Reaction score
the gold button (the camera button) will bring up the camera app if you long press it. keep it held down until the camera app appears.
Not for me....how weird....

Do you have any apps that use the camera button for something else? I'm thinking specifically of that VF Dialler thingy that uses the camera button to initiate voice-dialing. I'm certain there are other apps out there that might use the camera button for something else...

And, of course, try a reboot -- maybe that'll fix your problem.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
the gold button (the camera button) will bring up the camera app if you long press it. keep it held down until the camera app appears.
you must have an app that has reassigned the button or something. this is a default action. make sure you're pushing it all of the way down.

jessicajo68

Reaction score

Guurzak

Reaction score
If you slide open the keyboard while the phone is asleep/"off", it wakes up.

If you just start typing on the keyboard without being in a text entry field- for example from your home screen- it will automatically open a quick search window for you. This makes the default google search widget redundant for keyboard users.

Finnstang

Reaction score
If you slide open the keyboard while the phone is asleep/"off", it wakes up.

If you just start typing on the keyboard without being in a text entry field- for example from your home screen- it will automatically open a quick search window for you. This makes the default google search widget redundant for keyboard users.
With the Search soft button at the bottom, I find the Google search widget to be pretty redundant anyway...and you can long press the Search soft key to bring up the voice search, which is what I do 99% of the time.

qwopzxnm

Reaction score

As others have said it could be another app using the button, but I've noticed on my Droid that the button almost seems to have two stages, and when I THINK I'm pressing and holding it, I'm really not.

Last edited:
OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
added a new one.

DroidPDX

Reaction score
640k;123478 [B said:
From Any Contact:[/B]
Click their image and a speak bubble will appear with a list of options of how to communicate with that contact.

Found something cool worth posting? Post it up!

How come the GMAIL option doesn't come up here? Just the regular mail option.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
it does for me. i don't use the default email app, so maybe it has something to do with that?

Guurzak

Reaction score
Ah ha! It's a long press on the search softkey, not on the widget! I was wondering why that didn't work for me. Thanks.!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
another one is if you have a application you want to uninstall long press on it in your application list/drawer drag it to the garbage can and hold it there until it says uninstall application. Then release and it will take you directly to the uninstall screen.

cuskit

Reaction score
another one is if you have a application you want to uninstall long press on it in your application list/drawer drag it to the garbage can and hold it there until it says uninstall application. Then release and it will take you directly to the uninstall screen.
Now that's a new one for me! Just when you think you know it all.. ;) Thanks for that one!

cuskit