DROID Hints: The LONG Press and Menu Key

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you don't know already, magical things can happen if you long press buttons on the DROID and "hidden" menus will appear if you hit the Menu button (on either the keyboard or the screen).

But did you know if you long press the menu key, while the menu is open, you'll get a list of shortcuts to those items in the menu?

Here's a handy list of things that can be accomplished with a long-press or through finding menus you may have not known existed (feel free to contribute):

From anywhere:
LONG-PRESS the home icon to bring up a list of the last six applications used.

In the Browser:
LONG-PRESS the back button for a complete history of pages you've visited, most visited pages and your bookmarks. The same can be accomplished by hitting menu - bookmarks.

If you long-press the items in your history, another menu appears, allowing you to open the link in various ways, create a bookmark or delete it from history (handy).

From the Settings Menu (Home - Menu - Settings):
MENU brings up options of display "type" in Manage Applications, that will allow you to view only Downloaded apps, Running apps or All apps when Filter is selected. This can be handy for people who don't have or don't want other task management programs to force close apps.

From Any Contact:
Click their image and a speak bubble will appear with a list of options of how to communicate with that contact.

Found something cool worth posting? Post it up!

Last edited:

markmicallef

Reaction score
I knew about most but the long press on back for history was new,

Thanks

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Long-pressing the Camera Button will bring up the Camera app, pretty much no matter which app you're running at the time (as long as the app you're running doesn't use the camera button for something else.) I figured that one out recently. (Knowing my luck, everyone else already knew that, and I'm a slow-poke. LOL)

Last edited:
OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
isn't that the purpose of the camera button?? ;)

tex

Reaction score
good call on the back button browser history. thx.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
My camera button (the one on the side, right?) doesn't do anything when I short-press OR long-press it. Do I have to enable that somehow?

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
the gold button (the camera button) will bring up the camera app if you long press it. keep it held down until the camera app appears.

if you've forwarded an image taken by the camera, you might have to hit the back button until you return back to the camera app.

Guurzak

Reaction score
To merge two contacts together: Select a contact. Menu key. "Edit contact". Menu key AGAIN. Select Join. Pick the contact to join it to. Done!

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
To merge two contacts together: Select a contact. Menu key. "Edit contact". Menu key AGAIN. Select Join. Pick the contact to join it to. Done!
ok, that's handy as hell. i've got some idiot friends who don't use their real names in facebook, which creates stupid contacts.

thanks!