DROID Hints: The LONG Press and Menu Key

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
another one is if you have a application you want to uninstall long press on it in your application list/drawer drag it to the garbage can and hold it there until it says uninstall application. Then release and it will take you directly to the uninstall screen.
You must have a home screen installed because this definitely does NOT work on my DROID

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
another one is if you have a application you want to uninstall long press on it in your application list/drawer drag it to the garbage can and hold it there until it says uninstall application. Then release and it will take you directly to the uninstall screen.
You must have a home screen installed because this definitely does NOT work on my DROID

ive used it on both the stock home and with Home++

P_McNeal

Reaction score
Not exactly a long press tip, but I just accidentally found that if you double tap on the camera view screen while preparing your shot, it jumps directly to zoom (and back out). Way faster than the on-screen zoom.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score

can anyone else confirm this? i'm convinced it's related to Home++ only. it certainly doesn't work on my DROID v2.0.1.

mikedav1

Reaction score

can anyone else confirm this? i'm convinced it's related to Home++ only. it certainly doesn't work on my DROID v2.0.1.

I can confirm this. I accidentally uninstalled an app when I first got mine. Just hold the icon over the trashcan, making sure it stays red, and you let go. It will ask if you want to uninstall the app.

Guurzak

Reaction score
Definitely does NOT work on my stock 2.0.1 Droid. Cannot trashcan uninstall from either the home screen or the app drawer.

OP

Silver Member
Reaction score
the only thing mine does is remove the app. if i drag it from the application menu, it closes the app menu and waits for me to put it on the desktop. if i hold it over the trash bin, it never changes to anything else. if i let go, it just goes away (no uninstall).

jbsangel

Reaction score
yeah this is definitely a home replacement only thing. i had it with home++ and now that i've uninstalled, I don't. it didn't work like this before having home++ either. plus, home++ advertises that as a "feature" and it is an option you can turn on and off.

i also to whoever commented on the camera button being two-phased, that's because it is. The first "press" is for autofocus (and maybe other things) and pressing all the way takes the picture. Holding it down all the way of course launches the camera app. The button works two-phased just like on a normal digital camera.

drdata

Reaction score
camera button

It also is the snooze button when the alarm goes off while in the docking station. This is handay.

Scubabrit

Reaction score
To merge two contacts together: Select a contact. Menu key. "Edit contact". Menu key AGAIN. Select Join. Pick the contact to join it to. Done!

Thanks! This works great and really cleans up the random facebook contacts

3rdphotorecon

Reaction score
Your right it does not work unless you have a home app. I have stock screen and it does nothing. Thanks for starting thread learned some very useful info!

eliassami5

Reaction score
when you are in the browser and you are zoomed in and there is a paragraph of text that is half way off the screen and you want to center it on the screen just tap the paragraph and it will auto center it so you can read it.

most of you already know this and i did too but i never used it until last night, when you have the keyboard open you can quickly switch to different programs like the internet to facebook or from facebook to gmail without going to the home screen. By holding the search button on the keyboard and pressing B for browser and other letters for different functions. You can see all of your shortcuts at home>menu>settings>applications>app shortcuts.

If you see a phone number in the browser and it looks just like normal text you can still click it and it will go to the call screen. Same thing with addresses.

barrio12002

Reaction score
Also if you long press the camera button while I'm the browser or playing music,a quick message window will pop-up,once your done sending the message it will go back to where you were

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Do you have any apps that use the camera button for something else? I'm thinking specifically of that VF Dialler thingy that uses the camera button to initiate voice-dialing.

And, of course, try a reboot -- maybe that'll fix your problem.

For anyone looking for a long camera press to voice dial...

Searching the internet landed me on this page, The Droid and hands-free voice dialing | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs where I learned it is called Voice Dialer HF and is $4. The Dialer isn't what takes over the camera button's long press. Something called Button Shortcut, in the app store for free, does. You can assign any app to a long press of the search button or camera button. I was hoping a long press would unlock the phone as well as initiate the voice dialer but it does not. You still need to wake up the phone and then slide/unlock the screen. VD HF is now the 2nd app I've payed for.

Last edited:

justbob

Reaction score
I've got one for you all:

Long press on the "?123" key of the soft keyboard will bring up an Android keyboard settings menu. It allows you to toggle vibrate/sound on each keypress, auto-capitalization, and a bunch or word suggestions settings.