Droid headphone jack self-fix?

mapd00d

Reaction score
i'm on my third razr because the first two had the headphone jack get all messed up. it wouldn't play through the headphones unless i wiggled the jack into just the right spot. i lived with that for a little bit, but there was a point where the phone thought that the headphones were plugged in when they were not... which made it impossible to talk when people called me.

thank you manufacturer warranty!

technofreak13

Reaction score
elaboration?

So I've been looking this up and have heard the envelope and a drinking straw but...I have no idea how to do it. Like do I have to take apart my phone? Do I put it IN the headphone jack? I can't squeeze it between the jack and the actual panel of the phone (I have a regular droid RAZR btw) so I'm wondering if you can give me some detailed instructions...or even a video would be a great help!

mapd00d

Reaction score
It has happened again for me. This time I ordered the audio port on eBay. My buddy bought a kit and upgraded his Razr to a RazrMaxx, so he has the tools to crack the phone open, so this weekend I'm going to just replace the audio port by myself.

What I've heard as a very common cause is tiny pieces of lint. You can't always see the lint in the jack even with a flashlight, but that doesn't mean it's not there. If you are looking for something easier than opening the entire phone casing, you may be able to make a tiny hook out of wire, and fish it out.

Nicky

Reaction score
I used the straw fix on my og droid for the last 9mos I had it. After having my Razr Maxx that long I lost my external speaker to a similar build issue where you could rub under the speaker and get the connection to work again. After another 2 mo, lost external sound completely and went to the Verizon store and they immediately shipped out a replacement. All was well until the 2 mos mark and then the headphone jack went almost completely out. I once again tried the straw fix but the build of the jack is different and it doesn't work on the Razr. Also did the lint removal process to no avail. Ended up back at the store and they would do nothing, called tech support and they overnighted me another under the 90 day refurb warranty. Incredibly frustrating, I love this phone but can't motorola make a headphone jack that lasts the life of the device.