Droid Drops 3g among other issues

hosteraas

Reaction score
almost anytime i use any app, whether its from the market or native, it will drop 3g or data coverage and i have to restart the phone. i took my droid in and they gave me a new one but this one still does it.

problem 2. if someone calls me, we can talk normally for the first 10 seconds then they hear nothing and the other person usually ends up hanging up on me.

i love my Droid and i know that smartphones have their quirks but this is odd.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're definitely right, that is VERY odd.....had my Droid since November and have never experienced neither of those issues...

Hate to say it, but, maybe the Droid just isn't for you? :(

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
almost anytime i use any app, whether its from the market or native, it will drop 3g or data coverage and i have to restart the phone. i took my droid in and they gave me a new one but this one still does it.

problem 2. if someone calls me, we can talk normally for the first 10 seconds then they hear nothing and the other person usually ends up hanging up on me.

i love my Droid and i know that smartphones have their quirks but this is odd.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's either a setting you have or it's apps that you've downloaded not working well together or individually. There is no way in "heck" that you've gotten two phones in a row that exhibit this strange behavior. What do you have installed?

OP
H

hosteraas

Reaction score
i have
-astro
-Droid Light
-Google Goggles
-Google Sky map
-Pandora
-Weather Channel

and there is no way i would switch to anything else. i love this phone and its issues are not enough to drive me away.

thanks for the quick responses guys!

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have
-astro
-Droid Light
-Google Goggles
-Google Sky map
-Pandora
-Weather Channel

and there is no way i would switch to anything else. i love this phone and its issues are not enough to drive me away.

That's a pretty innocuous list of programs. I was thinking we would see some of the known problem apps (Home++, Launcher2.1, etc.). The only other advice I have is to update your PRL via dialing *228 and then option 2 on their menu. I don't even know if that truly addresses your issue, but it has helped some folks with reception. I really doubt this is your problem because surely Verizon would have done this immediately with any type of reception issue. But try it anyway.

The calling issue sounds like the proximity sensor and long hair issue. do you have long hair or sideburns that could be interfering with the sensor? This is a known issue with no current resolution to my knowledge other than to use a bluetooth headset.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
The fact that you can't make phone calls or use 3G wouldn't drive you away from the phone? Kind of an exspensive paperweight. Did you test out the second unit at the store before you left and did it work then? Does WIFI work?

OP
H

hosteraas

Reaction score
i have
-astro
-Droid Light
-Google Goggles
-Google Sky map
-Pandora
-Weather Channel

That's a pretty innocuous list of programs. I was thinking we would see some of the known problem apps (Home++, Launcher2.1, etc.). The only other advice I have is to update your PRL via dialing *228 and then option 2 on their menu. I don't even know if that truly addresses your issue, but it has helped some folks with reception. I really doubt this is your problem because surely Verizon would have done this immediately with any type of reception issue. But try it anyway.

The calling issue sounds like the proximity sensor and long hair issue. do you have long hair or sideburns that could be interfering with the sensor? This is a known issue with no current resolution to my knowledge other than to use a bluetooth headset.

ya i have slightly long hair. very well could be the issue. ive tried *228, been with verizon a while so i know the drill there:icon_ banana:

OP
H

hosteraas

Reaction score
The fact that you can't make phone calls or use 3G wouldn't drive you away from the phone? Kind of an exspensive paperweight. Did you test out the second unit at the store before you left and did it work then? Does WIFI work?

i can make calls and use 3g. it just acts up sometimes. usually i just re-start and its all good. wi-fi works. the tech at verizon couldnt duplicate my problems so that why they gave me a new one. when its working this phone is beyond amazing, when its not, its still a pretty good camera lol

thanks for the help guys!

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I inferred it was happening every time, sorry. Is it only in certain areas? Maybe a lousy reception area? Both problems sound like they could be a bad signal issue. Does it drop out of 3G into 1x or just go dead?